“Beauties/Beast's and other rare creatures ……......”
Review of Zoo Miami

Zoo Miami
Book In Advance
Buy Tickets Online
$23.49*
and up
Zoo Miami General Admission with Monorail and...
$75.00*
Go Miami Card
$89.00*
Miami and the Keys Explorer Pass
Ranked #7 of 356 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Zoo Miami (also known as The Miami-Dade Zoological Park and Gardens) is the largest and oldest zoological garden in Florida, and the only sub-tropical zoo in the continental United States. The unique climate in South Florida allows us to keep a wide variety of animals from Asia, Australia and Africa, representing a broad mix of species that is unlike any other zoo in the country. Zoo Miami today occupies almost 750 acres, and is home to more than 3,000 animals representing over 500 different species. Of this population, more than 40 species are classified as endangered. The zoo also houses more than 1,000 species of trees, palms and other plants, and over 100 special exhibits showcasing a broad number of species and scientific topics. We are accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) which means we have passed a rigorous application and inspection process and meet or exceed the AZA's standards for animal health and welfare, fundraising, zoo staffing, and involvement in global conservation efforts. Zoo Miami is proud to be an active leader in many global wildlife and environmental conservation initiatives, and we are currently involved in over 36 projects taking place on six continents.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I, hubby and friend's went to the Zoo on a Saturday and it was not too crowded. My husband had the idea to start our trip counter-clockwise which was a great decision to get away from the crowd ;) The grounds are very well kept and the more than 1200 plant variety overwhelming beautiful. My favorite was the Aviary, Wings of Asia with all the different birds walking/flying around and that you can be so close-up with them. It was just sad that I didn’t have more time to spend there….so better be there when the Zoo opens;) I will definitely visit again!

1  Thank Claudia H
Write a ReviewReviews (3,894)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

the zoo is soooo well kept, and you can look at the animals much more clearly than other parks and zoos. rent the bikes. well worth it and fun too!!

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I went there with my 3 yrs old twin boys and we had a blast. I highly recommend to rent one of the multiple-person bikes. Good variety of well-kept animals and nice layout.

1  Thank Jorge V
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This zoo is a wonderful experience BUT make sure you go when its cool or early morning or late afternoon, otherwise the animals are sleepy!

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I recently took my out of town guest to the Miami Zoo. My guests ranged from the ages of 7 to 66. EVERYONE had a great day at the zoo. When my girls were little I visited the zoo many times, but had not been in many years. What a difference a few years make. The zoo is very well landscaped so there is lots of shade and many varieties of South Florida trees and plants, the zoo is very beautiful. The zoo has over 2000 animals and 1000 varieties of plants, a tropical paradise. There are 3 miles of walkways but you can rent bicyles (that can carry a whole family if you want), ride the monorail for a air conditioned look at the zoo, or ride the tram, (there are strollers and wheelchairs for rent also). The highlight of the visit was feeding the giraffes. You can take your own picture of your family on the lookout feeding the giraffes or the zoo will take one for $5. (The best $5 you will ever spend.) You feed the giraffes one family at a time, so your family is the only one on the lookout feeding the giraffes. There are lots of exhibits, something for everyone. It is the most relaxing day. There is a little children water park, so let them wear their bathing suits to play in the water while you rest in the shade. There are also numerous water misters throughout the park. We took the monorail first thing, to get the lay of the land and after we got off set out on foot. The zoo is an all day attraction if you want. After we walked the zoo half of my group went home very happy and the other half stayed to revisit areas of special interest. As I left the zoo, I converted my ticket into a yearly pass receiving 40% off the yearly price. (AAA get $1 off admission so be sure to ask for your discount). Don't miss the zoo when you visit Miami, it will be the highlight of your trip!!

1  Thank LindaCutlerBay

Been to Zoo Miami? Share your experiences!