“Always Fun”

Ranked #7 of 339 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Zoo Miami (also known as The Miami-Dade Zoological Park and Gardens) is the largest and oldest zoological garden in Florida, and the only sub-tropical zoo in the continental United States. The unique climate in South Florida allows us to keep a wide variety of animals from Asia, Australia and Africa, representing a broad mix of species that is unlike any other zoo in the country. Zoo Miami today occupies almost 750 acres, and is home to more than 3,000 animals representing over 500 different species. Of this population, more than 40 species are classified as endangered. The zoo also houses more than 1,000 species of trees, palms and other plants, and over 100 special exhibits showcasing a broad number of species and scientific topics. We are accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) which means we have passed a rigorous application and inspection process and meet or exceed the AZA's standards for animal health and welfare, fundraising, zoo staffing, and involvement in global conservation efforts. Zoo Miami is proud to be an active leader in many global wildlife and environmental conservation initiatives, and we are currently involved in over 36 projects taking place on six continents.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Sunny Isles Beach, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Always Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Large variety of animals. Easy to get around. Always opening new exhibits. The workers are friendly and helpful. A wonderful place to visit. I particularly enjoyed feeding the giraffes.

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Day at the Zoo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I visited Zoo Miami while on our honeymoon and it was great! We bought the Groupon so we received a free giraffe feed (which we highly recommend) and discounted tickets!

We just walked around the big oval and saw pretty much everything. It was a great way to spend a majority of the day. We went on a weekday and it was very open, which we really liked. All of the staff are quite helpful if you have questions on animals, where different animals are, and other attractions.

Definitely take your camera because you'll never know what you'll see!

Orlando, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“PET THE GIRAFFES!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

The Miami Zoo was such a great time! For 16 dollars, you get to see such a well organized park that is quite easy on the eyes. I would recommend going this fall, or even during Miami's "winter" as I went in early September and it was VERY hot. The animals were much more active right as the sun was going down because it was cooler. The birds exhibit was stunning! Of course my favorite part was when I fed the giraffes! They stick their long black tongues out and grab the lettuce you feed them. Very cute.

Miami FL
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Animals in natural settings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Very well done Zoo. All animals are in well taken care locations and appear as they do in the wild. Could be warm and muggy in summer so try to visit in cooler weather. Lots of walking but a rail train is available. Small children might find it a bit lengthy to walk but a stroller will help. Many animals are not too active in the midday sun so consider the morning as the zoo opens.
Overall a very good experience and worth the time.

Visited February 2012
Rochester, New York
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Wow! Huge zoo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

My 4 year old and I spent 5 hours at the zoo. I am so glad I brought the stroller. The zoo staff was so friendly and helpful every time they passed us. The zoo is well designed for all ages. Many exhibits have multiple animals and most do not have anything to obstruct your view. We used our zoo membership from Rochester and got in for free! We spent $5 for a camel ride, $3 to feed the giraffes, $3 each for the monorail ride and money for lunch. This zoo is so large we didn't get to see all the animals. I wished I had brought a swim suit for my daughter to enjoy the multiple water area for kids, but I still let he get wet.

1 Thank Slanz

Been to Zoo Miami? Share your experiences!