“Gives Hilton a bad name”

Hilton Miami Downtown
Ranked #33 of 127 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Needs renovation. Showers heads terrible. 10 minutes (literally) for warm water to come thru for shower. Furniture needs updating. My TV didn't work the entire time, pixilated screen on every channel with intermittent audio. My friends' TVs were the same in their rooms. I am a gold member, which means breakfasts or free. Turned out to be day-old (or more pastries) and old fruit. Had to pay more as a gold member for the buffet. $25 per day for parking and get this: NO IN AND OUT. If you leave and come back, you pay the full day rate again. I am not kidding. If your neighbors are rather amorous, you will hear them. I know this because we could hear their "activity." Also, I could hear a clock ticking, but there wasn't one in my room. thought i was going crazy. Turns out it was coming from adjacent room. So walls are thin. However, staff is friendly and courteous and bar looked nice. Didn't check out the pool, but looked good from a distance. Beds are also comfortable. But I have had better experiences at Comfort Inns. Much better actually.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
HiltonMiamiDowntown, General Manager at Hilton Miami Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

We strive to maintain the highest level of service, hospitality and comfort for our guests, so we were quite disappointed to read that your stay did not exceed your expectations. Please know that guests are always encouraged to share how we can make their visit the best it possibly can be and it is disheartening that we were unable to do that for you while you were here. Your comments will be shared with our maintenance associates and management team to reaffirm our commitment to providing excellent service on every level. Thank you for your review.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,819)

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Having never been to Miami before, I chose this hotel based on the decent price and the proximity to the Port of Miami. I was very happy with the hotel itself - the staff was friendly, the room was spacious and we had a semi-ocean view for the lowest rate. The pool area was very nice and the food at the restaurant was delicious.

The area is definitely a little more run-down than I was expecting. Nothing scary, but I didn't feel as safe as I would have liked while walking around. I also through that the hotel was walking distance from the Port, and is wasn't - but the cab ride only cost $10.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Welcome to Miami! We are so happy to know you chose to stay with us at the Hilton Miami Downtown for your first visit to the city. A cruise can be such an exciting getaway. We truly appreciate reading that you enjoyed your accommodations as well as our hospitality! Did you know that we offer some great money saving packages, some of which include complimentary port transfer? It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The positive point here is that the Hilton Miami Downtown is away from the fray. Being on the west side of Biscayne Bay is a huge plus if you need to be near downtown Miami. The rooms are spacious and the amenities are what you would expect from a mainstream business hotel....except...., The WiFi is only available in the lobby unless you pay a price, the floor plan is complicated; having to access two separate elevators to get up to the lobby from Biscayne Blvd. Valet is was overwhelmed and takes much too long for the car delivery, four days of excessive waiting I asked, why don't they provide a self-park?

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

While our hotel welcomes many vacationers, we are always happy to cater to the needs of our business travelers as well. Thank you for mentioning your appreciation for our location, close to everything you could ask for in the downtown area! While we do charge a minimal fee for Internet access in individual guestrooms, complimentary wireless is available in our lobby and business center, but we hope that it wasn’t too much of an inconvenience for you. When many guests are arriving and departing at the same time, things can sometimes become hectic. Please accept our apologies for any delays you experienced while our valet associates were retrieving your vehicle. Alternatively, guests may chose to self park. We hope to welcome you back again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

the "motor lounge" is a bit much - you are hit with loud pulsing music and crazy lights right from the start. I know this is Miami, but a more sedate entrance would be nice... We asked for a room away from elevators and vending and were put in a room next to the elevators and ice machine. That said, I didn't hear them all night- maybe the floor was empty? You can hear voices through the walls and window. The views are great. We were on the 19th floor.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for sharing your point of view. We truly understand how important a peaceful night’s rest can be while traveling away from home. While we are glad you enjoyed your overall stay and views from our property, we must apologize if any sounds outside your guestroom were of disruption. We hope to welcome you back again to the Hilton Miami Downtown.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Overall we were satisfied with our stay because we had won a decent bid price for this hotel. As others have commented, the rooms could use some spiffing up. But our room was large, the beds were comfortable and it was always quiet. However, little annoyances added up. When we called from a restaurant to ask if there was a mini-fridge in the room we were told that one would be delivered into the room. When we later called from the room to ask about the whereabouts of this fridge, we were told we were on a waiting list. We never did get off that waiting list during our four nights at the hotel. The next morning we discovered that there was no shampoo - only conditioner. After calling Guest Services we quickly received a plastic bag with more conditioner. Down at the front desk the message was "we're out of shampoo" but soon another bag was sent to the room and this time there was shampoo. Time to make a cup of coffee...oh-oh...no coffee was left to replace what was used the morning before. Another call and another plastic bag: lots and lots of creamer containers and sugar packets but no coffee. Another call and another wait. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel because the line was too long every morning. Don't arrive with high expectations and you will be just fine here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. While we are glad to know you enjoyed the value of our hotel, it is with great disappointment that we read the remainder of your review as yours is not the type of encounter we would hope for any of our guests. Providing the very best in hospitality and service is important to all of our associates. Please accept our sincere apologies that your recent stay did not reflect that commitment. Your comments will be shared with everyone here in an effort to reinforce our high level of customer satisfaction in all ways. It is our hope that you will give us another chance in the future to provide you with the type of stay you deserve.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

First off, I should mention what I most appreciated: I arrived around 7am, after a red-eye flight, and despite the early hour the desk agent cheerfully said they had a room ready for me (I did call ahead by a week to request early check-in). The only other staff I interacted with were those at the concierge desk and they were also helpful.

While not in a stellar part of town aesthetically, the location is convenient to transportation. Only half a block from the (free!) Metromover which runs in a couple of loops around downtown and also connects to the airport train. I did see a few homeless folks around the Metromover station by the hotel, but generally I did not feel unsafe in the area. I wouldn't have ventured out on foot in the middle of the night, but there are very few cities in the world where I would do that anyway.

The room was comfortable, if in need of some TLC. Nothing horrendous like mold or excessive dirt, but lesser problems such as windows that looked to have not been cleaned any time recently, detracting from what was an otherwise nice view of the bay from my room.

Took a taxi to the Port of Miami the next morning for a cost of $9 before tip.

Overall I'd give this hotel 3.5 stars (rounded up as I don't see a way to give half a star). Room has booked with points at what I felt was a reasonable rate, but if paying out of pocket I think one could do better for the same price range.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
HiltonMiamiDowntown, General Manager at Hilton Miami Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

We are so happy to have provided you with such a positive experience! It is always our pleasure to accommodate an early check in when possible as our associates hope to help ease our guests’ travel experiences. Thank you for your great review and appreciation of our comfortable guestrooms. Getting around Miami is certainly easy when taking advantage of such great public transportation options available! We do apologize if anything was amiss and we will share your comments with our housekeeping associates. We look forward to welcoming you back for another visit to The Hilton Miami Downtown.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I stayed at the hotel from late March of '13 to early April of '13. Great Service and accomodations! If you are ever here ask for Richard Lewis or Eva. They will take good care of you! I highly reccommend staying here if you are ever in the Miami area!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

We think your review is great! We love knowing that you have enjoyed staying with us at The Hilton Miami Downtown so much that it has inspired a your highest recommendation! Our associates, particularly those you mentioned by name, will be thrilled to have made such a positive impression. Thank you for your comments, please visit us again soon.