“Perfect hotel for some days in Miami”

Hilton Miami Downtown
Ranked #33 of 127 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed September 26, 2012

It was our first time here. When I booked the room I asked for an upgrade, to have a bay view, and I was not disappointed. The room was big, with a sofa and a table. Also, every time we came back late afternoon, our room had already been cleaned: housekeeping did a great job. The only annoying part was the sound of the elevator, as our room was closed to it and the a/c that sometimes turned off on a save mode (otherwise it was too loud). A thing that was missing was the minibar, which would be great to have, to store some beverages.
Even if it is in downtown, the hotel is in a very good location, also to explore Miami beach: just 1 block from the bus station, 1 block from a supermarket, 10-mins-bus ride from Bayside with shops, nightlife and entertainment. During a raining day you can also take the Dolphin Mall shuttle that picks you up at the hotel and brings you there directly.
Concierge staff was very nice and helpful: they let us sit and explain us all the possibilities we have during our 4 days. We decided to have the city tour with the boat tour of Star Island (the latter I really enjoyed!) which took 5 hours and fill one of our days.
We also spent some time in the pool, playing chess and chilling. The pool is outdoor, the area is not very big but never crowed. The bar in the lobby was a nice option for a drink or for a quick breakfast (they offer Starbuck’s). Internet is also complimentary in the common areas, but I don’t understand why it was working only some days and not with one of our phones.
All in all, we enjoy staying at this hotel and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonMiamiDowntown, General Manager at Hilton Miami Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

At the Hilton Miami Downtown, we love nothing more than to provide our guests with an excellent stay in all ways. From your comfortable and spacious guestroom to your dining experiences, it seems as if you were able to appreciate much of what we have to offer and for that we are truly grateful. Our concierge hopes to share some of the best ways guests can make the most of their time while staying with us and it is great to know you found so many attractions to enjoy in addition to some relaxing downtime at our rooftop pool. We do apologize however, if you were inconvenienced in anyway by the sound of the elevator and air-conditioning. Thank you for sharing so many details of your visit to Miami, we would love to welcome you again.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel was great, very pleasant staff, great location walking distance of the free tram that takes you to the bay area you can also catch the bus to South Beach for $2.00. There is a food market right down the street and other great restaurant in the area.

Room Tip: Definitely visit the Bay area and South Beach
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank msveecee

We truly appreciate when our guests take the time to let us know about their stay at the Hilton Miami Downtown. From South Beach and the Bayside Marketplace, we offer convenient access to much of the Miami area via the Metromover located just steps from our front door, allowing our guests to enjoy much of the area without having to drive. We hope you will stay with us again during your next visit to the area.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

The reception officer (Ingrid) was very kind and accommodating. My wife and I extended our stay in this hotel without any problems in arranging for the extension. The people at the concierge at the motor lobby level were very helpful not just in providing directions but providing good advices, as well, on where to go and how to get there. They were also very attentive to the needs of the guests. Mr. Leo Cruz was also very helpful in making our reservations for the hop-on hop-off tour very easy. I just hope they also made the internet connection in the room free.
The place is very near the train station and the market (Publix). It is also just a few blocks away form the mall and marina (Bayside)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
HiltonMiamiDowntown, General Manager at Hilton Miami Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

We believe that providing warm, personal service can be one of the best ways to help in creating an excellent stay for our guests' and we couldn't be happier than to learn that you found our staff to be of such great help! Thank you for your fantastic review of the Hilton Miami Downtown, as well as highlighting some of the attractions just steps from our front door. We hope the next time you are in the area we can welcome you back again.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Good location, close to everything just across the causeway from South Beach. Rooms were spacious and quiet. Was a good weekend hotel. Easy to get to and close to the airport. Within walking distance of many dining options and a nice Publix grocery across the street. I love old Miami and it is very close to the city as well as the beaches. The pool area wasn't terrific small pool bar and no view. An odd but fun feature was a large chess set on the pool deck.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary K
HiltonMiamiDowntown, General Manager at Hilton Miami Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Thank you for providing feedback of your stay at the Hilton Miami Downtown. We feel so fortunate to be located in the heart of such a vibrant area with so much of what makes this city so special just minutes from our front door. The next time you are in Miami, we hope that we can welcome you back, and we hope it is soon!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I ended up here because we weren't able to go on the cruise we had previously planned, so we got there quite disappointed. However, we decided to stay in Miami for the week and the Hilton was a perfect place to do it. The hotel was clean, had a computer room for printing, etc., great breakfast bar and pool area. The employees greeted you when you left and welcomed you back when you returned. The only issue we had was the volume on the television went in/out ocassionally, but after complaining and maint. attempting to reset the TV, front desk upgraded us to a nicer room at no add'l charge and gave us breakfast vouchers for our entire 4-night stay. We ended up purchasing a timeshare in Miami, but if we aren't staying there, we'll definitely be @ the Hilton Miami Downtown!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Sometimes an unexpected change of plans can be the best kind! We are so pleased to know that your stay at the Hilton Miami Downtown was such a positive experience. Our staff loves what they do and it is great to know that you found them to be so hospitable. It certainly seems that you were able to take enjoy much of what we have to offer from use of our business center, dining and rooftop pool! We apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered regarding the television in your guestroom but it seems as if everything was resolved to your liking and for that we are grateful. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again, and we hope it's soon!

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Let me start by saying that I LOVE Hilton properties and always have great experiences in them. This is why I simply cannot figure out what is going on in this one, especially it being such a central location in a main travel and business hub as is Downtown Miami. Let´s see, where do I begin? Housekeeping, definitely the worst thing about this property, however not the only one. First of all, let me start by saying I am a VERY neat person, and also very respectful of other people´s work, so I never leave a mess behind for someone else to clean up. Along my extended stay at this property, housekeepers would leave day after day all used glasses behind. NEVER, not one time, did they replace them with fresh ones. Whenever I would come back and complain, the next day they would remove the used ones, but wouldn´t leave new ones! So at some point I wouldn´t have any glasses and have to call guest services -again- to have someone bring me a glass or two. Any other items left behind would never be taken care of, of course, like a plate, or the ice bucket, which was NEVER EVER emptied on the next day, when the contents were already just water. I had to leave the glasses floating inside to see if they got the hint, but it would still not happen. It´s not that I can´t empty an ice bucket myself (which I was always doing, by the way), it´s just that I believe hotels like this should pay attention to these small things. Cleaning was never thorough (there were hairs on the bathroom floor. I pray they at least would be all mine). One day they didn´t leave me any towels, and another one they would leave their cleaning materials standing on the bathroom counter. On the last day, before leaving, I looked under the bed to make sure nothing had rolled under and was left behind... well, let me say I was just grateful I hadn´t look before, some things are better left unseen, if you know what I mean.

Maintenance and service. Horrible. The toilet was running THE WHOLE TIME I was there. At one point I discovered that if I moved the toilet flush in a certain way it would make it stop, so I kept doing that every time after I used it. Like I mentioned, I was there for an extended stay on a business trip, so I would come back in the evening and obviously, did not have the stamina to wait around for maintenance to come fix my toilet at 10 pm. I would assume that maintenance carries out periodic quality controls in the rooms... they don´t? Oh.

Another one: on my first day, I noticed there wasn´t a minifridge in the room. I called guest services, to ask if they could bring one up, so I could keep water and orange juice, maybe even some milk for my -already mentioned- extended stay. I always do this at hotels and this was the first time I was told they didn´t keep any fridges for guest requests. I asked again, in case I hadn´t understood correctly: do you mean you don´t have any available or you don´t HAVE any in house? No, we don´t have fridges. I was astounded. How does a family with an infant manage? Or an adult with special needs? So, everything I bought, had to be in small containers so I could consume it in the course of a few hours. And if I ate a sandwich that was too large, I had to throw the rest of it away. This went on for 20 days. Of course, you now understand why I was so fond of the ice bucket as well... But this is not all: on one of my many calls to complain about assorted things going on, I can´t remember why the girl mentioned minifridges. I told her what I was told on my first day, and she said they certainly did have some, and she would send one up, which she did promptly (I think her name was Jenelle, she was very helpful and courteous with all my complaints). My question is, why didn´t they tell me this before, when I asked for it?? I was already two days away from checking out. The harm was already done.

Last but not least, the internet connection. They charge 10 dollars per day for the worst internet connection you´l ever experience. I had to call repeatedly complaining about this, and was able to get a waiver on the internet charges for my stay. Nevertheless, this obviously didn´t solve the fact that I was never able to get any work done normally, or even have a decent Skype videochat with my family, without losing connection or almost all of the conversation.

If you have a poor experience here, just please don´t assume all Hiltons are like this. This hotel is just a bad exception. A very bad exception. I think Management should figure out a few things. If they did, the property would actually be a really nice one.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. Biscayne Blvd. is busy, and also there is the parking lot floor...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Luz1980

While it is truly disappointing to read a review such as yours, all feedback matters a great deal as it helps to know what areas we may need to address. Providing impeccable service is of utmost importance to all of us and it is with deep regret that we learn your experience was anything otherwise. We are actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. Refrigerators are indeed available for guest use but we sincerely apologize if there was any confusion or for any inconveniences that you may have experienced in communicating your needs to our staff members. Our maintenance team is always more than happy to resolve any issues and it is regrettable that we were unable to do so during your stay, when it would have mattered the most. We want you to know that we appreciate your business. Thank you for your candid feedback and would like to invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Very clean hotel with a nice view and a friendly staff. Checked in 2 hours early and checked out 20min late with no problems. On paper the hotel seems a little far from the beaches but the hotel is literally 1 1/2 blocks from omni station, a good sized bus station, where it's a 10min $2 ride to south beach or shopping on Washington st. Or a 20min walk from the hotel to bayside marketplace which has a bunch of restaurants bars and shops right on the bay. My advice is learn the bus routes a $2 bus ride can easily be a $30 cab ride to south beach or $45 to the aquarium

• Stayed: September 2012
HiltonMiamiDowntown, General Manager at Hilton Miami Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

We feel so fortunate to be located in the heart of such a vibrant area! With easy transportation options, the Hilton Miami Downtown offers the perfect accommodations when visiting many of the area’s top destinations, thank you for mentioning it as well as the value you found at our hotel. We appreciate your review and hope to see you again.