“Rooms are good, owners/staff not so much.”
Review of Gulf View Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mexico Beach
Gulf View Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mexico Beach
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This motel is actually efficiency apartments. There are 6 or 7 rooms total so it is very small. I have no qualms with the facilities or the rooms. The rooms were rather nice and very clean. I have a big problem with the customer service and professionalism of the staff - a brother and sister who own the motel. I reserved a room at least 2 weeks in advance. I specifically requested a room with 2 beds because there were going to be two, possibly three people staying in the room. The woman (the 'sister' of the family) advised me of the extra charge for the extra person and I was completely OK with that. I gave her my credit care info and booked a 2 bed room for Friday, May 17th. Upon arrival, I was met by the 'brother' of the family. His appearance alone lacked professionalism. He was wearing a muscle tee with sweat stains around the neck and armpits. He told me the 'sister' had booked me into a room with only 1 bed. I told him this was not going to work, that there were 3 of us, and tried to explain that I specifically reserved a room with 2 beds. This man was EXTREMELY rude to me, kept telling me that there was nothing he could do about it, he didn't care, and that it wasn't his problem. I was appalled! He acted like this whole thing was MY fault. No other hotel in Mexico Beach had a vacancy so I was stuck with this room with one bed. I asked him for a discounted rate since I would have to sleep on the floor. (I had already asked for a cot or roll away bed-they don't have them.) He refused. "I'm not gonna cut my throat just because she messed up" He didn't offer to compensate me in any way despite it being their mess up. He called the 'sister' on the phone to ask her about the reservation she took. Apparently, she didn't want to hear it, and hung up the phone. His exact words, "She [--] hung up on me." Yes, he cursed in front of me and my guests. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. The rooms may be good, but they will mess up your reservation and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
22  Thank gingerly1983
There are newer reviews for Gulf View Motel

Reviewed May 14, 2013

A friend and I stayed just this weekend...We had a great time. We meet some really sweet people and the staff was very friendly
The rooms were really cute and the beach was just across the street which we could see from our room. Almost everything is in walking distance.
I will be staying there for all my visits to Mexico Beach. I will highly recommend this motel to all my friends.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Missy S
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a weekend trip to Mexico Beach, FL and we had the pleasure of staying at the Gulf View Motel on Hwy 98. We arrived at dusk on Friday evening and the owner's son greeted us. It was exactly as we had expected..as I had done research on the motel last year. It had a full size fridge, a small oven and stove, everything one would need for a chillaxing weekend in Mexico Beach. I can't forget to mention the two wonderfully comfortable recliners that they had in the living room area as well.

We were in room #1, facing the Gulf of Mexico and it was perfect. Saturday evening we met some really great people who were staying there as well...

Our room was just within very close proximity to the Beach. You can't beat the value for the accommodations that we were given.

It's a very comfortable inviting place to hang out while visiting Mexico Beach! I would highly recommend it to anyone if you don't need all the fancy things that come along with the overpriced chain hotels!

• Stayed: May 2013
8  Thank Laurie M
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The guy just isn't a (people)person.Not friendly,don't seem to want to be bothered. Just checking us in seemed to be an aggravation for him.His sister was nice though.Kept apologizing for her brothers crappy attitude.I'd already heard about him from a coupla other families that have stayed there before.So,I was kinda ready for him.I'll be darned if I'll be treated disrespecfully by a jerk who obviously didnt want to be there.If you don't want to be bothered with customers & if it kills you to even crack a smile,here's a little advice for ya buddy,HIRE A FRIENDLY DESK CLERK! People work hard,they look forward to getting away. Don't let their 1st impression of Mexico Beach be some jerk who doesn't appreciate their business...Just sayin'...

• Stayed: March 2013
19  Thank proceedslowly
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We checked in approximately 430 pm. The staff was kind. I asked specifically if our room was pet/smoke free. He said even though that is there policy, people sneak it in the rooms anyways. I said ok. Well, upon entering our room, it smelled like a chimney! We had no choice to stay because all of the other hotels/motels had no vacancy. We blasted the A/C and turned the ceiling fan on high to help w/ air circulation but all in all after being in the room, my mouth tasted like I had been smoking! Oh, did I forget to mention that supposedly being a non smoking room, there was an ash try on the little table!!!!! People don't sneak smoking in the rooms--with an ash tray provided, they are invited to smoke in their room.
Also the towels had a not so fresh smell to them. Thank goodness we had our beach towels to dry off with as well.
If smoke does not bother you, you will be fine..otherwise I recommend finding a different place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank TAPONTE
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We just spent 2 nights in the Gulf View Motel. The owners were very pleasant and helpful. The hotel itself reminded me of a hotel from the 70's back in Maine. Mexico Beach actually struck me that way. Never moved out of the 60's/70's, which was exactly what we were looking for. The room was clean and had everything we needed, with the exception of WiFi, for my wife, which once again 70's like. She put her laptop away and enjoyed the weekend. The total cost was $156.00 for 2 nights. The cleaning women, who only cleans the room when you check out, was very nice. If you're looking for extras, fast moving, and all the glitz then stay away from Mexico Beach and this Hotel. If you're looking for peace and quiet, clean, helpful, and pleasant then you should try here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank KipKat1125
Reviewed June 28, 2012

* note: there were 4 of us in a 2-bed room, staying 2 nights*.....Upon arrival, the staff was watching t.v. He did not smile or greet back. They were very short and rude with us. Made us feel like an aggravation! They then stood out side our room staring, watched us unload our bags into the room. We felt this was strange!.....Now, At first, we thought this hotel was going to be fine. It was suitable and had Everything we needed, and at a good price!..However, I quickly noticed it was Very dusty & dirty. within no time, I was sneezing & congested. My feet were literally black from walking on the floor!.Through the day, we caught staff walking by our room continuously, & looking in!...Half the time, We staying on the porch. Staff walked by, making rude comments several times. Once A staff, on an electronic w/c, came rolling down and yelled "move" at my husband, who was sitting in a chair, completely out of the way! Another time, after being on the beach, we were wiping our feet before entering the room. The staff came up and said "you better sweep this porch" My husband said "excuse me?" They said "You got sand on the porch, so sweep it". We were dumbfounded! We didn't even reply back! and yet, I swept it! The next morning, they told my husband he had to pay more money & we HAD to move, into a bigger room with a stove, & pay the extra $. My husband refused, so they told us we would have to leave, and they would keep our money for the rest of the stay! My husband got into a debate with them & they called the law. We couldn't wait to tell the authorities everything. When they arrived, The staff straight up lied & then made up a story! They told the authorities We had people parking across the street, & staying in our room. We were so shocked. I have never been so angry and embarrassed!! I had to walk away, to my car. I let my husband finish talking with the cops. because people were starting to gather around. I was way to embarrassed, to have people watching us, being accused of something, We had NOT done! We were only able to receive part of our money back!! I am still at a loss for words!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
#4 of 31 in Panama City
Hilton Garden Inn Panama City
Hilton Garden Inn Panama City
#1 of 31 in Panama City

Been to Gulf View Motel? Share your experiences!