“Best place on the beach”
Review of El Governor Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mexico Beach
El Governor Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mexico Beach
Georgia
“Best place on the beach”
Reviewed August 13, 2007

If you want to stay "on the beach", this is the place--you can practically dive off your private balcony into the water (but I wouldn't recommend trying it!). The room I stayed in was very clean and had plenty of room. The amenities were nice and included a 3/4 size refrigerator, microwave, toaster, even plates and silverware. Having a second sink outside the bathroom was very handy. There were plenty of linens provided. The beach is excellent, with the white powder sand the Panhandle is famous for. There is a gift shop with a wide choice of items, even selling beer! The staff was friendly and very helpful. The pool was a bit small and got crowded at times. If you are staying here on the weekend, I would advise getting a room away from the pool/bar area, as it is very noisy until late at night. Parking is also a bit of a problem, as you have to park head-to-head just off the highway. Some reviews call this place overpriced, but I think it was a bargain compared to many places on the beach. Highly recommended!

• Liked — Location, right on the beach
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank Buckmode

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed July 30, 2007

We stayed at the El Governor in early July and had a wonderful time. The staff were nice, friendly and were especially helpful to me. (On the first day of our visit, I lost my glasses in the surf and they went above and beyond to help me - locating an optician and getting my Fedexed glasses to me when they arrived.)

We asked for a corner room and had great views, both from the balcony and the window. The motel is right on the beach and it was so convenient to be able to grab something from the room at a moments notice. We enjoyed the pool and the thatched roof hut with the swings that are down by the annex.

We only had a few days in Mexico Beach, so we were happy that we were able to take advantage of their "late checkout" option. For $35 we were able to check out at 5PM, rather than 11AM.

• Liked — Beach access, free wi-fi
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank KilgoreT
Orlando
Reviewed June 17, 2007

*Before I begin, I would like to note that I am a Florida native and have worked in the hotel industry for almost 10 years. I have visited and worked at most of Florida's popular beach spots. Being a native and in the industry, this is one of the most realistic reviews you will read.*

I just got back from my stay at the El Governor and concur with most of the other reviewers. The motel was old and standard, but clean.

I first booked a room at the Gulf Sands motel. After driving through the parking lot, I quickly canceled my reservation. I wouldn't wish that hotel upon my worst enemy.

Fortunately El Governor had a room available. I paid $139 (plus tax, total of $152) for a room with a king bed, love seat, chair, microwave, toaster, fridge, and a great view of the ocean. If you ever stay here, make sure you request a corner room. Due to their location, these rooms have two windows looking out onto the ocean and a double-sided view from the balcony. The view is great!

Now, I do have some gripes with the room. For over $150 a night, there are certain things I expect to be provided. First and foremost, shampoo and conditioner. My girlfriend forgot to pack these (we usually always bring our own when we travel), and I was surprised to find only soap in the room. I went to the front desk to ask for some, and they informed me that soap is provided complimentary, but shampoo and conditioner must be purchased at the gift shop. This is absurd. Even $30 a night roach motels provide some cheap shampoo and conditioner! A tiny travel size bottle of shampoo was $2, and conditioner was $4. It would cost El Governor pennies a day to leave some "El Cheapo" shampoo and conditioner in the room. But, it's not the cost of the product that is holding them back. They just want you to have to buy these products in THEIR gift shop.

Next, the towels. Thin, worn, and cheap. We were only provided three bath towels. The bedding was equally cheap, as were the pillows.

The "love seat" and chair were very uncomfortable and made of plastic-like material. However, this is understandable. Being on the beach, wet bodies sit on that furniture. Needless to say, it won't take long to get moldy. So again, this is acceptable.

Most of these things concerning the room can be overlooked. You are at the hotel to hang out at the beach, not in the room. However, the shampoo and conditioner situation is just plain ridiculous.

The pool was tiny and overcrowded. The pool bar was reasonably priced, but the bartender was very rude and did not know how to mix a drink. It was a nice relaxing atmosphere in that there were lots of little places to "hang out." Picnic tables, swings, lounge chairs, etc.

Besides the bartender, the staff was pleasant. Check in/out was fast and friendly.

There was a sign on the ice machine that said you were not allowed to fill up ice chests. Instead, you can BUY a bag of ice at none other than, the GIFT SHOP! Give me a break.

There are a few bars/restaurants in the area, but none that I would recommend. “Toucan’s” is a tourist trap with weak overpriced drinks. The “Fish House” restaurant had average food at an above average price, and “Sharon’s Café” had below average breakfast at an above average price. But, it’s a tourist area, so what do you expect? If you want some REAL seafood, head east to Apalachicola. You will NOT be disappointed!

As I mentioned before, I am a Florida native and hospitality industry employee. The El Governor is charging $139 a night for a $100 a night hotel room. At $139 a night, you are getting ripped off. Plain and simple. However, there's nothing you can do about it. Mexico Beach is one of the best spots to vacation at and there are hardly any motels. They have quite the monopoly.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay. I would return to this property, but only because you don't have many other choices in the area. Besides the El Governor, the rest of the motels are small, not as nice, and don't have a pool/bar.

It’s kind of expected to get overcharged at a beach motel during summer, but El Governor, don’t be so cheap with the accommodations!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank reaganp
Royston, Ga
Reviewed June 15, 2007

We had a wonderful vacation. The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly. Check in was easy and fast. The room was right on the ocean and was very clean. It had a full size fridge, stove and microwave. Nothing beats the crystal clear gulf water and white sand. The kids took snorkels and had a blast. We are already planning another visit to Mexico Beach soon. This is easily our new place to go.

• Liked — access to the beach
  • Disliked — older building
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank findley8901
St.Louis MO
Reviewed June 6, 2007

I have been visiting Mexico Beach Florida for about 4 summers now. All of the summers i have been there, i stayed at the El Governor with my family. It is very quiet and relaxing. My family has stayed in the three bedroom townhouse which was very nice and had everything you need. The house was clean upon arrival, and i was very pleased. Whith staying in the townhouse, it was down the beach a little farther, so less people were there. It almost felt like a Pirvate Beach Vacation. I have also stayed in the high rise tower in a standard room. This room was also very nice. It had a mini kitchen and was also clean upon arrival. The El Governor is a practical place for families who enjoy to be on the beach. The staff here is very kind and is very helpful. There is also a gift shop in the main building and has many cute souviners. I would Suggest this location to anyone.

• Liked — The nice Ocean Front View from everywhere at the hotel!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank icesk8er1213
Charlotte, TN.
Reviewed May 29, 2007

We have just returned from a perfect vacation experience. We are a couple just turned fifty. We were accompanied by a twenty five year old mommy and her four year old daughter, as well as a fourteen year old young lady. Not once did I hear the words "I'm bored". The beach was beautiful and the El Governor Hotel was great. The staff were friendly and the rooms were very clean and completely comfortable. The pool was clean, the poolside bar was really nice. If you want to be entertained this is not your place. If you want to relax in peace and quiet and enjoy the things Florida is known for, sugar white beaches, clear beautiful water, gentle waves, and picking up sea shells, this is your spot. We highly recommend the El Governor.

• Liked — We had everything we needed right there. Very clean.
  • Disliked — house keeping waking us up before 9:00 am.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank HappyinCharlotte
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed May 8, 2007

If you are looking for a basic but clean motel located directly on the beach this is it. All rooms have a balcony overlooking the beach. The beds are comfortable and the small kitchen was very clean. It has a fun poolside beach bar. Just ask for a room away from the bar and pool. It can get quite loud. Not many restaurants in the area without driving into Panama City. Hang out at Toucans (just down the road from El Governor) if you want the true beach bar/restaurant experience. Will stay at El Governor again if I want an uncrowded beach!

• Liked — Very clean and friendly
  • Disliked — Air conditioner was a little loud.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Panama City - Tyndall
Red Roof Inn Panama City
Red Roof Inn Panama City
#3 of 31 in Panama City

Been to El Governor Motel? Share your experiences!