“Excellent Getaway”
Review of El Governor Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mexico Beach
El Governor Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mexico Beach
Redington Shores, Florida
“Excellent Getaway”
Reviewed September 28, 2009

We loved our stay at the El Governor, The staff was friendly and the room was nice and clean. We loved the view from our balcony. Considering we only paid 70 bucks a night we considered that a steal. Have stayed in a lot worse places for lots more money. If you want a place to get away and relax this is it. Highly recommend it to anyone. Very well pleased with the price and the accomodations. We will be back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dalstar1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Georgia
Reviewed September 17, 2009

My wife, my 18 month old daughter, and I stayed at the El Gov. for three days during July this year and had a great time. Granted, it is an older hotel that still uses metal keys (which I liked) but it is well maintained by the staff. I consider myself to be a normal guy. I am not too picky, but not a slob willing to accept anything either and I felt right at home here. The staff was well trained, efficient, and personable for a group of people who deal with more than their fair share of difficult people everyday. I felt safe, comfortable, and welcome. My 18 month old was welcome in the office with no sneers or looks of frustration which you often get when you have infants traveling with you. The pool was well maintained and clean, the beach was amazing, and the rooms were clean. I'm not sure what you would have to complain about and if you did the hotel manager (Wiley) would happily accommodate your needs. The gift shop is also well maintained with anything you might need from trinkets, shirts, towels, to beer and liquor with normal prices not tourist prices. I read one of these reviews where they complained about big roaches outside. They are called palmetto bugs and if you don't want to see them, you might want to start vacationing in a northern state because in Florida they are a fact of life. Overall, you can't go wrong staying at the El Governor.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank KevinWeems
Florida
Reviewed September 13, 2009

We were in town for the triathlon and found the staff to be very helpful. While this isn't a 5 star hotel, it was still nice and the direct beach access and views were fantastic. I had some difficulty dialing out from the phone in room, but the girl at the desk was great about helping me through it. We were really pleased with the experience and plan on coming back to the hotel before the end of the year.

I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
FL
Reviewed August 16, 2009

The reviews were mostly positive for this property, and we hadn't made reservations anywhere, so we thought we would give it a try. We checked in around 2pm. The desk clerk that helped me was not very helpful, seemed like she was just waiting for the end of her shift.

When we got to our room, not bad at first glance. I went into the bathroom to start putting our stuff away, and on the floor was a mostly dead roach-ok, gross, but at least it was dead/dying. (The pest control man was walking out of the lobby as I was walking in-good sign).

We spent the rest of the afternoon at the beach and pool-perfect!

Then, we got back and I walked out to the private balcony-the deadbolt on the door was stuck-couldn't get it to lock. The kids couldn't reach the door knob-but it was a concern-for those trying to get in, or out.

The beds and pillows were great, we slept like babies. The beach and pool that day was great again.

Upon packing, I looked behind the dresser to make sure none of our things had fallen behind, and there were underclothes back there, they did not belong to us!!

We only used the elevator twice (it was as all the reviews before have said it was).

Should have listened to previous reviews about Toucan's-very dissapointing, the FIsh House was good for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank angelicone23
Chicago
Reviewed August 5, 2009

This hotel was fine for a night or two. Don't expect anything fancy and plan on waiting 10 minutes every time you need to take the elevator. It is a terrifying, hot, slow machine and we found ourselved taking the five flights of stairs more than once. We are old and out of shape anyway, so it was probably a good thing, haha. The beach was beautiful and not crowded the weekend we were there. The staff was pleasant. I recommend this cautiously, as long as you aren't looking for fancy pants accommodations.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IslaNina
missouri
Reviewed July 5, 2009

We just got back from Mexico Beach, the Motel was pricey and rooms were small. The beach was beautiful with its white sands, but very crowded with people. The shells where small, tiny to be exact. If your looking for shells go to CROOKED ISLAND, just a couple miles up the road, and you won't be disappointed, we found medium to large shells, along with whole sanddollars (and its free!!!)The pool was like bath water, although I don't know if they could do anything different about that, maybe add some cool water? More than likely, probably will not stay here again, it was ok.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank riverbum
phenix city, alabama
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I dont know why people are saying it is across the street from the beach. It is right on the beach. If you stay in the annex...you walk out of your room, down some steps and you are on the beach. The view is to die for. There is also the high rise which is also right on the beach...it is five stories high. The only drawback about the high rise is the elevator. There is only one and it is very slow. The pool and outside bar area are very clean.....they also look directly out onto the beach. It just doesnt get any better than this. Very family oriented.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Panama City - Tyndall
Red Roof Inn Panama City
Red Roof Inn Panama City
#4 of 31 in Panama City

Been to El Governor Motel? Share your experiences!