“Very, Very Dissapointed”
Review of El Governor Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mexico Beach
El Governor Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mexico Beach
Reviewed April 6, 2009

After reading the abundance of rave reviews on this motel, I expected the best. I regret that what I found was just about the worst place I've booked in at least the last 10 years.

I travel a lot for business and also for pleasure, and I expect certain things when I rent a room. Simply stated, none of the things I expected were present in the El Governor. Yes, the views were great, and the hotel was feet from the ocean, but the benes stopped there.

The room was "clean", but old and beat, with a distinct look of a "Spring Break" party pad. The fixtures and furniture were very worn, and the a/c fan was loud enough to keep me up at night. My door barely closed due to being bent at the top. There was no alarm clock. There was no shampoo -- seriously, when's the last time you stayed somewhere that didn't offer a little bottle of shampoo?? There was indeed a full-size fridge, a microwave, and dishes, but after 3 days of dirty dishes piling up on the counter, I found out from the front desk that I was expected to wash my own dishes (in the bathroom sink), and that I was expected to buy my own dish detergent. If I wanted to wash dishes, I'd stay home.

WiFi service was almost non-existent. The maid did not 'clean' my room -- she just made the bed, changed the towels, and emptied the trash. The carpet and bathroom got dirtier every day of my stay. There was a bar/lounge, but it was so filled with smoke that I didn't make it 10 feet in. The pool looked fine. Don't even think about a free breakfast.

Bottom line- If you're looking for a quiet, cheap place with great views right on the beach that reminds you of something from the 50s, you've found your new home away from home (just remember your shampoo and dish detergent). If you expect the amenities associated with anything above a 2-star motel built in the last 20 years, keep looking.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank DoubleBock

Reviewed February 24, 2009

This motel is fabulous. I Loved my stay at the El Governor. When the review says oceanfront, you can't get a better view than what the El Governor has. my fiance' and I had the best time. I highly recommend this Hotel to anyone. This Hotel will not let you down.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2008

This is the best place we have ever stayed. My husband and I made our first trip to Florida and wanted to see the gulf. We lucked up on a fabulous, clean room with full kitchen and views to die for. Everyone on the staff was absolutely nice as could be. We felt closer to our great God than ever! God is great and so is this hotel!! Way to go!! We will be back maybe for July 4th, hear they have a great fireworks show. Regardless of when, we will be back!!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 5, 2008

A beautiful Sunday drive became an impromptu overnight at the El Governor motel. At $100/night walk up rate for a king, it was a fair price for the room and the location- right on the beach!

First, you must understand. Mexico Beach is small, quiet and laid back- just the way folks like it around here. If a hot bikini pool scene is what you seek, keep driving. Beautiful white sand beach, clear, clean water with a decent surf (we were extremely lucky, the Gulf is not known for their waves) and a magnificent sunset where on our list of "must haves".

The building is older- late 1960s/early 1970s and it shows. It is well maintained, and the bed, linens and furniture were clean and not abused. Think "old style" Florida beach, folks.

Would we stay again? You bet! Hopefully for a few more days.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 17, 2008

it was great balcony overlooking gulf/kitchen/clean/very good price//suggesst for you to go to Killer Seafood to eat great food and great prices simmering sauce

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2008

For the past several years, we have made Mexico Beach our only vacation destination in Florida. Although the El Governor is an older hotel, it is very clean and the views are spectacular. Each room has a balcony overlooking the beach. Our room had two double beds and a kitchenette. It is a very safe place to stay, also. The staff is the best and makes a good cup of java (complimentary). If you decide to vacation here, be sure you have breakfast at Sharon's Cafe. The pancakes have a special topping. You'll have to just order them and check it out for yourself. The staff at Sharon's will make you feel like you're sitting in a friend's kitchen with a great cup of coffee. We enjoy Toucan's, the Port St. Joe Marina (Dockside Cafe), and the ice cream shop in Mexico Beach (I believe it's called Scoops Up). If you want to relax, definitely make Mexico Beach your next vacation spot.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2008

My husband and I have been going here for 6 yrs. now,Ever February, We love It ! You can not ask for a more friendly and
just a laid back atmosphere,Even the Restraunts,Little Shops
everone has always been so kind to us,I plan on us returning year after year!
Rita & Bob,Kentucky

Comfort Suites
#12 of 31 in Panama City
22 mi away
La Quinta Inn & Suites Panama City

Been to El Governor Motel? Share your experiences!