El Governor Motel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Mexico Beach
See available hotels
Gulf View Motel(Mexico Beach)
View Hotel
Gulf Sands Motel(Port Saint Joe)
  • Beachfront
Dixie Belle Motel(Port Saint Joe)
Port Inn(Port Saint Joe)
View Hotel
Mainstay Suites(Port Saint Joe)
View Hotel
Buena Vista Motel(Mexico Beach)
Comfort Suites(Panama City)
  • Free Internet
All reviewsgreat gift shopfull kitchenfish houseslow elevatortiki hutpanama cityrooms face the beachold floridaevery room has a balconyhigh risebalcony overlooking the beachport stnight lifeadjoining roomscleaning staffcoffee makerbeach front
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

We have been coming to the El Governor for about 5 years now. You cannot beat the view & prices. We always find our room clean upon check in other than carpet stains; however, I have heard they are replacing the carpeting with wood flooring. That will be nice. They have also purchased new lighting fixtures, TVs for the rooms & washers/dryers in the common areas on each floor. Housekeeping does not seem to vacuum or clean the bathrooms each day during your stay & we have asked at one point to have a vacuum to do it ourself. I have every reason to think that if asked, the housekeeper would do it for you. It just seems odd that the normal cleaning isn't standard & odder yet to have to ask her to do that.

Anyhow, you can't beat the view & price. That's why we keep coming back each year. That & the fact that the manager is wonderful as is most of his staff, the heated outdoor pool is nice as is the bar that was open from 10a-11p each day.

I could live at the El Governor & be quite content!!

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank AdaGall
Reviewed November 6, 2013

It's not elegant, however, the view from the balcony is unsurpassed for watching the sunsets, or the people on the uncrowded sugar sand beaches. Night life in Mexico Beach is fairly quite an inexpensive. If you wish to live it up a bit Panama City Beach with all of it's attractions are an easy thirty minute drive.

I recommend the top floor where the rooms have a kitchen in case you wont to prepare your own locally caught seafood. Just across the bay (another easy drive) there is Cape San Blas with it's Civil war salt production site and one of the U.S.'s top 10 beaches. Sometimes you can walk a half mile on the beach with out seeing another person.

The prices are reasonable for the level of the Motel and the rooms are clean. A real treat is the Oh so Southern voice on the elevator telling you, "Going up or Going down." My wife and I are from the south and we laugh every time we here it. It is part of this funky little motel's charm. It is Florida from fifty years ago.

We go to get away from it all.

Room Tip: Top floor is best for views and kitchenette.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ReindeerWrangler
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is an older roadside motel. The annex we stayed in seamed to me to be the place to stay for easy access to the beach. I think it cost us about $90 a night and we stayed here two nights. The beach was just steps from the room. It was a perfect place to watch the sunset. We loved the beach in this quant little roadside beach town. There are very few motels in this area and hardly any on the beach so we felt fortunate to get the room we had. The room had been remodeled in some brighter beach type colors. They were a bit loud but we dealt with them fine. The floor was laminate flooring with no rugs around the bed. Being on the beach there was a lot of sand in the room. I had to put a towel down to keep sand out of the bed. I will say the room was clean. It had a bit of a smell when we arrived though. The smell had a hint of a bleach scent to it which was kind of reassuring. Overall I would stay here again but only in the annex we were in. To get to the beach from the main hotel seamed to be a bit of a job and that area of the beach was a little more crowded. I think the main motel rooms were higher as well.To be clear this was not an Embassy Suites or a Hampton Inn but there are none of those there. We were both ok with the room and hotel.

Room Tip: Annex for the beach....
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark R
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Where do I begin? Just got back and loved it! Affordable centrally located. The sand was right beneath our balcony! All 4 desk clerks were friendly and helpful as were the amazingly quiet cleaning ladies. There's always a breeze blowing through the parking area below the clean and spacious rooms above. All the seafood places are within walking distance. The Fish House is the best. Great views especially of the sunsets and the dolphins put on a show daily in the beautiful ocean. Nice pool and surrounding area with a good gift shop and supplies nearby. The annex is well kept and tropically landscaped and the whole area is the way Old Florida use to be and should still be (NO HIGH RISES). I've read complaints about the "slow elevator" well it's not! It's just on Mexico Beach time which is Laidback! If you're in a hurry go to Panama City.
The only thing that kept me from giving El Governor 5 stars was my torture rack bed--very uncomfortable... BUT guess what... as we were leaving they were bringing in a new shipment of mattresses. We will definatley be back!

Room Tip: The top floors give better ocean views of the dolphins. The annex rooms have no private balconies.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2013

It is not new and stylish, but you will find everything you need. We booked an apartment room: balcony to the oceanside, cooking facility, freezer. Just nice. We spent 3 "Ocean-Days" there, waking up with the gulf, going to sleep with the gulf: great. Room was clean and no traffic noise to hear. A supermarket is nearby, the beach is clean and sandy.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple