“Get what you pay for------ kind of”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of El Governor Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mexico Beach
El Governor Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mexico Beach
Huntsville, Alabama
“Get what you pay for------ kind of”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Well don't expect to much. We had to go outside in the stairwell to connect to wifi. Do NOT get a room west of the elevator above the 3 rd floor if you want Internet. Mexico beach does not take care of the June grass, it was awfull and everywhere !!!! You can not enjoy outside after dark because the mosquitoes are so terrible you cannot stand it. The housekeepers are great and friendly. We saw 1 roach on the wall in 7 days. One is to much. The dryers are from 1972 and only 2 worked for a couple of days , then only 1. They got them fixed a day before we left. Serious --1972,I looked at the model number. The elevator is super slow, take the stairs if possible.parking is good though.dont loose your key or it will cost you $25.00 for another one. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give them a 5. Don't know if I would stay again. Drunks talking smack to the women is not good and people trying to pour beer on me when they are upon the 4 th floor and I am on the ground floor. With my wife. Good luck!!

Room Tip: Stay east of the elevator if you want wifi
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank snoop1959

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Panama City, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

My family recently had a reunion at Mexico Beach, Florda, and let me say first of all, this is the first "beach vacation" I have ever taken in Florida where you can actually see and enjoy the beach. The state of Florida has ruined its beaches by over development. The last time I came to the beach in Florida was to Panama City. What an eye sore. Condos everywhere and no sight of the beach unless you went behind the "concrete canyons" rising up on what used to be a beach. Not to mention the only people in Panama City Beach were the college "party crowd" who were a little to loud for my taste. So this time with a tip from a friend, I tried Mexico Beach and what wonderful suprise. We stayed at the El Governor Motel and were quite pleasently surprised. One word of advice, stay in the single story annex. The main hotel is a multi-stored hotel like you'd find anywhere. It is very attractive, clean and decorated nicely. Just sort of generically "beachy". But, the annex is charming. It is a single story block of rooms surrounded by green lawns, flowers, picnic tables, gazebos with porch swings, etc..You can just hang out, watch the ocean roll in (its right on the water), swim in either the gulf or the pool, and enjoy being at the beach with all that that implies. Its very family oriented and quiet. The pool has a little pool side bar where there is a muscian or band every weekend, but not too loud or rowdy. Just enough for enjoyment. Each room has a kitchenette and a grill right outside of the room. We had one night where everyone cooked something and we had a group meal. They have an area with "tiki huts" set up for this. With multiple tables, grills, a couple of counters and sinks. Perfect for a crowd. All in all it was a wonderful place for adults and kids to come together and with enough diversity that all age groups had something to do. Right down the beach (within walking distance) is Toucan's bar and grill. A really great place to eat, hang out, listen to the band, play volleyball on the beach and just be a tourist. We had a wonderful time and will be returning next year for our reunion.

Room Tip: Stay in the single story annex. It has easier access to the beach and the rooms are larger.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank martha b
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Having kitchen area in hotel room was nice. Go to spend time on the beach not the rooms with the antiquated furnishings. Live music at the bar drew crowds from all the surrounding area. Bar is cash only. All hotel personnel friendly. Lounge chairs by pool dated with many holes. Hotel might want to suggest to guests (especially those not familiar with beach etiquette) not to feed the birds as innocent guests get pooped on.
Great access to beach.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Agfink
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We just came back from El Governor after our third stay. El Governor has a campground on one side of Hwy 98 as well as several apartments and a five-story motel complex on the other side of Hwy 98. We have only stayed in the motel complex.

The gentleman who took our reservation was polite and pleasant. He was the same fellow who checked me in when we arrived. He asked about our drive and how the weather was at home. El Governor needs to keep him!

Our room was neat and clean. It seemed to be recently repainted and had typical Florida seaside paintings. The room had a musty smell when we arrived, but it dissipated quickly when we turned the AC on. This was the most crowded we have ever seen at El Governor, but it was still peaceful, and we always found a place to park.

El Governor reminds me of vacations as a kid, before resort vacations were common. It makes for a quiet, family time at the beach. If you want attractions and "wow" factor sites, El Governor is not for you.

I wish (and wrote about it previously) that EG would make some basic changes to spruce it up. For example, pressure wash the outside, treat wall and ceiling stains in the bathrooms, and consider ways to dehumidify the rooms when the AC is off.

We were surprised to see hummingbirds while we had lunch by the balcony! Nice to see.

We will be back. Mexico Beach and vicinity are perfect for quiet days at the beach.

Room Tip: If you want a full kitchenette (sink, stove, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, pots/pans, etc), ask...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Berniega
Iron City ,Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

I was sitting at the bar and i asked for a virgin margeritta.The women who served who is much older than me was very rude.She served me the drink and she told me to take my money and get out of the bar area.For what reason she said that i don't know but she told to get my money in go away.She will never get my service again.On the other hand the other bar tenders are very nice i recommend that they serve you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Panama City Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

We checked into the hotel for a 3 night stay and I should have asked for a refund when I first walked into my room. The bathroom was nasty and there were stains on the tub and floors. Sand was everywhere. I understand that the hotel is on the beach and sand is abundant but it appeared as if the maids had not even bothered to sweep or mop. The comforters on the beds were even sandy and had to be removed before we could sleep. The beds were ok but the sheets had been washed in so much bleach that we all itched the next morning from them. The balcony was small but adequate but had sticky stuff on it (appeared to be some type of soft drink) and had definitely been not been washed or rinsed in a long time. It did however have great views of the beach. The pool was clean and inviting. The bathroom cabinet door did not close all the way and it could be clearly seen that someone had broken it. My air conditioner did not cool properly and so the rooms were humid and warm. I asked for another room but was advised that the hotel was full and there was not another room available. The older woman at the front desk was not very nice and was unwilling to help me except to say she would scold the maids and that it was hard to get help at the hotel. I have been here many years before and let small problems float away but this hotel needs a revamping in a very bad way including all the staff, beds and rooms. The kicker to my stay was the fact that I needed a toothbrush and went to the hotel gift shop where they re leaved me of a $5 bill for a generic cheap toothbrush. I doubt I will ever go back because the hotel and staff seem to get worse as the years go by. The only positives about the hotel are the beach view and the free coffee makers and coffee in the rooms.

Room Tip: Check the room to make sure it is clean before you check in and give them your money.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank tracy8358
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Women at reception desk - unfriendly / room: problem with toilet...floor was flooted, bed linens dirty / beach nice, beautiful sunsets... But would never come back to this motel

• Stayed July 2012
Red Roof Inn Panama City
Red Roof Inn Panama City
#3 of 31 in Panama City
Wingate by Wyndham Panama City Area Lynn Haven

Been to El Governor Motel? Share your experiences!