“a find.”
Review of Port d'Hiver

Port d'Hiver
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Melbourne Beach
Reviewed February 20, 2009

Charming. Architecturally, culturally, aesthetically peaceful and thoughtful. Homemade cookies, both gluten-filled and gluten-free available daily (and easily pilfered), choice of breakfasts served indoors or out. Cloud-like sheets, pillows and mattresses. Huge, deep bath tubs. New Orleans style architecture with gardens and fountains that successfully obscure road noise. Across the street is a wide, white sand beach shared mostly with birds. (Second only to fisherman (both authentic and of the retired snow bird variety))
Inn-keeper's readily available with suggestions for good restaurants, live music (both plentiful) and ideas for day trips. The town of Melbourne is the first Florida town I have ever visited that has retained its local flavor. Nice people, some serious art and good thrift shops. Really great nature preserves near by.
One could wish the little Inn was on the other side of the street in a different part of town, but then we probably couldn't afford it.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 12, 2009

The three day stay was a pleasure from beginning to end. The beds were immaculate, breakfast was lovingly prepared according to our individual preference, decoration was in extremely good taste and the inn keepers were helpful and fun. It's an exquisite piece of property that has been restored with great attention to detail. We were very content.

Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed February 2, 2009

the reviews are spot-on. Linda did a meticulous job with the rennovations and the new buildings. the courtyards are stunning, the heated pool soothing, the firepits lit at dusk in each courtyard added more charm. What was best was... the staff. Linda, Mike and both Whitneys bent over backwards to accomodate your stay. Whitney brought breakfast up to our room!....we had the Sunrise room so we had difficulty tearing ourselves away from the balcony... Mike made a special trip to bring wine to the pool at happy hour - although it's normally just served in the main house. What's really amazing, is that I lived in Melbourne in the late 80s and early 90s and had no idea where this was because it was so rundown that nobody even noticed it. If you know the area, it's right across A1A from the Melbourne Beach sand volleyball courts and used to be hidden by tons of overgrowth. Now it is definitely beautiful and wonderfully refurbished.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 16, 2009

I cannot do anymore justice to this amazing Bed and Breakfast than has already been done. From the moment we booked to after we left the service has been second to none.

It was my husbands birthday the day we arrived and I requested the romantic package for him and I was totally blown away. There was soft music, rose petals. candle light and a bottle of champagne on ice the room looked magical. I'm not really that good at keeping secrets and was really glad that I didn't let this one out even though I was really excited because he was lost for words and didn't realise at first it was for him. The attention to detail to everything left me in total awe I found myself just walking around or looking around our room because there was so much to take in. It was amazing. We stayed over the New Year and I asked for a table to be booked at Scott's On Fifth which was done for us with what appeared to be no trouble at all.

The breakfasts are the BEST we have ever tasted and filled you up for the day! Linda if you already haven't I think you should write a book with your recipes. It was great getting together for a chat with other guests at 5pm for drinks and nibbles- really civilised.

We shall definately be back one day. Many thanks to all of you ,your combination works.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2009

The ultimate in comfort. Great location on Melbourne Beach with groceries, restaurants, liquor store, etc within 2 min walk. Beach gear (chairs, umbrellas, towels, boogie boards, & bikes) were available on the property. The staff was amazing - the most accomodating we've ever experienced -- they were happy to help with reservations, ideas for attractions, etc. And the breakfasts were top shelf every time. Complimentary snacks and drinks were always available at the spa/pool. The room was great but there were so many great things to do we didn't spend much time there except at night after enjoying wine by the pool - with an outdoor wood-burning fireplace to add the perfect compliment to the experience. This will be our Florida vacation spot for years to come. Hats off to Val and the rest of the staff.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights after our wedding. It was such a nice escape after the busy days leading up to our wedding! The food each morning was amazing, and the staff is so friendly and down to earth- this makes such a difference because although the place is very elegant and classy, you never get a stuffy or snobby atmosphere at all. It was a lovely getaway and we will definitely return!

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed January 8, 2009

Port d'hiver is a best kept secret...well it's not really a secret anymore. What a great spot! This will please you on every level. It's starts with the location right across from the beach with quality lawn chairs and other equipment for your use. They even provide a complimentary stock of beverages and snacks to keep you satisfied througout the day. The property itself is neat and nicely landscaped. The pool/ spa is a great amenity as the water is a very comfortable 95 degrees or so and you can turn on the jets for even more water therapy. I love the water feature at the base of the spiral staircase and it was relaxing to hear the sound as you made your way to and from your room. In my opinion, the reason this place is so special is that they enhance your experience to the fullest. The rooms are exquisite yet homey; as I walked in Jack Johnson was playing and I was so in relaxation mode instantly. They also have above average bathrooms which is really important to women. I like my space and my big tub. The Spa products of above average size were a big plus.
Another idea I love is the 5pm "happy hour" with hors d'oeuvres and wine...what a nice touch for a bit of socializing and enough to hold you to dinner; I had some sushi and red wine. Another very pleasant surprise was the Dijans restaurant about 6 blocks away. The food was above average (not amazing) although the calamari and lobster bisque were a sure fire choice. We woke up in the morning to a set up of fresh coffee and breakfast bread on our patio table...how wonderful. This is what I mean by the enhanced experience....there were all sorts of nice surprises during this stay. HOWEVER, let me just tell you that the shining star of this place is their breakfast. And not only the food, the linens, the flatware, the glassware...I could truly appreciate it all and it was very special. The breakfast was a wow and I'm coming back just to eat the breakfast, especially the blueberry scones and the brownies I had late night. Oh yeah, they also have fresh baked cookies, coffee and tea in the dining area 24 hours....There's hardly room for improvement and they surely have got it right at Port d'hiver.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne Beach
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Radisson Suite Hotel Oceanfront
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cape Canaveral - Cocoa Beach

Been to Port d'Hiver? Share your experiences!