“Lovely Oasis”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Melbourne Beach
washington, dc
“Lovely Oasis”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

On a long road trip, we decided to skip Miami this time and look for a quieter ocean community and someplace w/in 100 miles of the auto train. After reading several reviews, we chose Port d'Hiver. Note to other proprietors, when you get a bad review, be careful how you respond to the reviewer. We almost chose another property in Melbourne Beach, but the owner's crabby responses to reviewers were a turn off.
So, the Port d'Hiver was the best choice, by far. We were greeted and given the full tour right away. Loved our Yellow Room and the porch. Relaxed in the big outdoor hot tub a couple times. Don't miss their happy hour. Drinks and food aplenty. And they are happy to make dinner recommendations and reservations for you. One night we went across the street to the amazing grocery store (great deli, gourmet foods, and wines) and got dinner, which we ate on our porch.
The beach is also across the street. A lot is included in the price. We went down to the always- open snack room, got a little cooler, put in a couple free drinks and snacks, got a couple complimentary chairs, towels, and umbrellas and headed over to the beach. Another day we asked to use bikes (free) and they sat out most of the day waiting for us, but we eventually went for a ride around the neighborhood.
Turn down service was nice with more ice for the evening and a different baked goodie left on the bed.
And now to breakfast: Fantastic. Generous. Delicious. You can have coffee delivered before you go down for breakfast or you can have both delivered. We had breakfast brought to our porch one morning.
We originally booked for two nights, decided it wasn't enough, changed our train reservation, and stayed a third night at the Port d'Hiver.
The rooms are super clean. Linens are expensive and lovely. The staff is professional and upbeat, and it is obvious they work as a team. As soon as you request something the information is passed along immediately.
The bathroom was almost as large as the bedroom and the toiletries were high-end and even included bath salts for the jacuzzi.
Parking was easy and we felt safe in Melbourne Beach and the gated Port d'Hiver compound.
We felt like we got value for the price, since they don't nickel dime you for amenities.
The room was appointed with nice furniture and beautiful floor to high ceiling, silk drapes.
We would love to return to this property. There is an attention to detail that is much appreciated.

Room Tip: Rooms over the parking are have less road noise. But the rooms closer to the road have views of the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Ft. Lauderdale
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at Port d'Hiver during President's Day weekend, 2013! My experience with them began before I even arrived. I booked and paid for my room (the Yellow Room) 4 months in advance. I let them know that I was planning a surprise for my husband's birthday and that 4 other couples would be joining us for the weekend. We also had food restrictions, so we asked for a meat-alternative to bacon/sausage. As the time neared, I called to add an in-room massage for my husband(I ended up having to cancel it later). They were very accomodating and contacted me by phone and email to confirm. They also confirmed my dinner reservations for me! The week before we were to arrive, they emailed and offered a complimentary room upgrade to their Carriage House Suite! They thought it would add to the surprise for my husband and thought it would allow for more space for his massage! Wow!!!! Of course, I accepted!

When we arrived(there was ample parking, unlike many B&Bs), we checked in and were given a tour of the grounds, while our luggage was taken to our suite. The house/grounds were beautiful! Everything was so cozy, intimate, and private, even though it's located on the corner of a somewhat busy street. They were still able to create privacy by putting up bamboo-like walls around the establishment.

Our suite was gorgeous, spacious, and well-appointed! It included a king-sized bed(so comfy), living room area, flat screen TV, huge bathroom with separate shower and jacuzzi tub! They paid such attention to detail that to greet us, there was a note welcoming us, on the bed. They even included an umbrella in the closet, along with bath robes! They offer comlimentary room service for breakfast, so we took advantage of that the first morning(so did the other couples who joined us). Again, the attention to detail was well noted! They didn't just bring you breakfast on a tray, they brought a table cloth and spread it out in the living room, setting it up with salt/pepper shakers and silverware, wrapped in napkins, with napkin holders! They also remembered our food restrictions and served us turkey sausage with our meal, instead of bacon/sausage. Remember, this is a B&B, not a hotel, but they managed to combine the best of both worlds under one roof! This is my 6th B&B and I've never had the choice of having room service, and complimentary at that! Even the fact that they had bellman service when we arrived, is unique! The B&Bs I've stayed in, usually don't have anyone to help you with your bags-You are pretty much on your own for everything.

The next day, we decided to go to Treetop Trek and do some zip lining for the first time! One couple did not go and decided to surprise us all with a late lunch in their room when we returned. The B&B staff helped by assisting them with the presentation. Again, the attention to detail was top of the line! They included tablecloths, and trays for the food, ice buckets for the wine-They turned their room into a mini restaurant buffet!

They also include a turn down service in the evenings, so our room was always nice and tidy when we returned from outings! They include a nice mini dessert on your bed wrapped in tulle! One night we had tasty brownies!!! Yummy! Again-Turn down service in a B&B???? Loved it!!!!!

Our last morning there, all 10 of us ate together. I reminded them that we would eat in the main dining room and was told that our table was already ready! When we went downstairs, we had a separate table that was set so beautifully!!! The breakfasts were plentiful, filling and delicious! We had broccoli quiche, spinach frittata, turkey sausage, turkey bacon, homemade blueberry muffin, homemade caramel french toast, potato pancakes, hashbrown casserole, homemade zuchinni bread, fruit, orange juice, hot chocolate...My mouth is watering as I reminisce!!!! My compliments to the chef!!! My compliments to the owner, Linda, and her hard working staff(especially Jen, who worked all weekend) for making our stay so memorable!!!! I highly recommend this B&B if you are ever in the Melbourne/Space Coast, FL area!!!!

Room Tip: Go for the rooms in the North or South Cabana, rather than the main house. Although, all the rooms a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Indialantic, FL
Reviewed February 17, 2013

It's not often that I review a place twice but I just have to say again how wonderful this place is! I stayed at the Port D'Hiver for a second time last month. We stayed in the Carriage Suite and it was one of the nicest weekends I have had in a long time. The bed, the tub, the food, the service ... all of it is fantastic. They really came through for us at the very last minute when our planned vacation to a B&B in Bedford, NY fell through. What could have been a ruined anniversary weekend actually ended up being perfect. Thanks again to Linda for taking such good care of us!

Room Tip: The Carriage Suite was gorgeous. It faces the road (and the ocean) so there is some light traffic n...
1 Thank Brenna2006
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Port d'Hiver is an absolute diamond in the rough. We were told about this lovely bed and breakfast by a friend who continually raved over it. As a first year wedding anniversary I decided to take my wife to a nice little getaway. When I originally made the reservations we were in the Havana room but after receiving an email from the staff they upgraded me for free to the Indian River Room because it was our anniversary. This in itself spoke volumes to me about the staff at Port d'Hiver. When arriving we were given instructions on how to find our room because we were going to be getting in after office hours. To our surprise when we arrived a staff member was there to greet us and take us on a tour of the grounds before heading to bed, this mind you was at 11PM. The Indian River room was gorgeous. Beautiful lofted ceilings with a private balcony. The hot tub was a perfect way to end each night. The breakfast part of the stay was one thing I was worried about. I've stayed at bed and breakfast before and usually it is similar to a continental breakfast at a hotel, but not here. We had two different choices each morning which were freshly cooked. The food was fabulous from the fruit/coffee cake to the main dish. The staff would go out of their way to help you. Great location, right across from the beach. If you are expecting a crazy busy spring break/luxury like location, this is not it. It is a quiet coastal town for those who just want to get away and relax. If you are looking for more of a party scene Melbourne and Cocoa Beach are both a close drives. I would highly recommend this place and definitely plan on going back. I can honesty say there is not one negative about this place!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Herkimer, New York
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Port d'Hiver is the only 4 diamond rated lodging in Brevard County, and it certainly lives up to its reputation. I've stayed there several times, and I always leave with regret, yet rested and renewed in body and spirit. This time my husband and I stayed in the Carriage Suite--the sounds of the ocean and the view of the sunrise made it so special. The owners are as friendly and accommodating as possible, and the gourmet breakfast selections more than satisfy.
From the soft sounds of Jack Johnson on the CD in our room, to the fluffy bathrobes, heated HUGE spa in a tropical setting, wonderful homemade cookies, complimentary wine/soft drinks/snacks and DVD library in the main house, we were pampered guests.
I cannot afford to visit as often as I'd like, but my annual birthday "special" which arrived via email allowed for a wonderful stay in the most luxurious suite--but at a bargain price. I bought a gift certificate for my daughter's 40th birthday, and I can only hope she enjoys this magical place as much as I do.

Room Tip: Rooms with sunrise views tend to be most popular, but you might consider that a walk across the stre...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
jensen beach fl.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was are second time staying at Port d'Hiver, and our stay was just as great!! We have stayed in the Yellow Room and the Windward Suites, both are beautiful and the beds are so comfortable! The breakfast is great and served in a nice setting. The whole property is just amazing, we go to relax and get away and this Inn does the trick, wish we could make it there more often!! Thanks for another enjoyable stay!! Oh and there is a great piano bar within walking distance and a nice market across the street.

Fort Collins CO
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Talk about the royal treatment. the staff here provides it! The place is spotless and the rooms and grounds are beautiful and quiet. Going gluten free? No problem! Just ask. They wiil prepare you food just as yummy as there fantastic regular menu. Lots of good places to eat close by and the beach is accross the street.

• Stayed January 2013
Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront
Inn at Cocoa Beach
Inn at Cocoa Beach
#1 of 31 in Cocoa Beach

Been to Port d'Hiver? Share your experiences!