“Unclean, Unorganized, and Rude.”
Review of Surfcaster Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Melbourne Beach
Surfcaster Motel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Melbourne Beach
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Unclean, Unorganized, and Rude.”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

My family and I stayed at this motel and it's stand alone houses two weeks ago for a wedding and it was one of the worst experiences we all have had at a motel. First, when we made the reservations, I had reserved one of the houses, and we were sent confirmations and held it with our credit card. Just before we made it to FL, we called to verify our rooms were going to be ready and they had over-booked us with someone else and gave them the house without notifying us, so we had to scramble to find availability there.

When we arrived our rooms were dirty, you could feel the grit on the sheets, the counters, and the floors. There were beer bottles and DIRTY SOCKS left in our room from the previous person. Patty, who said she was the cleaning supervisor (but we're pretty she was the only cleaning lady), said that she couldn't feel the grit, and that she doesn't "clean inside the drawers" where the dirty socks were found (the beer bottles were on the TV and in the closet - so we guess she doesn't clean in those places, either). Our room didn't have a trash can, we didn't have enough towels, and when we pointed out the floor was dirty she brought me a duster broom and told me to CLEAN IT MYSELF! All of our rooms were like this.

We have a large family and we travel to this area often. They could have had a large group staying there annually, but not with the poor service, uncleanliness, disorganization, and rude staff. - Stay Somewhere Else.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank NYC_Gal_Jo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Central Florida
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I made reservations online for a 6th time visit to my favorite coastal motel. I saw that our favorite room was available.There is only 9 rooms. Since this was our anniversary, I jumped at the chance. I received our confirmation number and planned for a romantic get away. We have been going there since 2009.I tried calling them the same day I made the reservation, to get a verbal confirmation, but no one answered the phone.I then called this morning, still no answer. We left our home today and were in the city limits 3 hours later when I finally received a call back. Then he told me that there had been a mix up.The room was already occupied. He offered to put us in another room ( not oceanfront) and told me that the original room would be available for the second night we planned for. He then offered to rent us a home a mile away" for a little extra money"( not oceanfront). Question-If he runs a Motel, wouldn't you think to check daily for room reservations., and not calling but a mere 20 min before our arrival time? After calming my husband down, I called the Surfcaster back and cancelled our reservation. He said that he felt bad ( well he should have ! ) We turned the car around and came home. Defeated. We really wanted to go and the closer we got we were dreaming of having our toes in the sand and having the ( A-H-H ) mini vacation. No way to run a business...Doubtful we will return. But will retain our memories and look elsewhere... :( so sad :(

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank su2q

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne Beach hotels

Parkersburg, Iowa
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I have been going to this motel since the late-80's. It has not changed a bit, and I am happy about that. It is vintage 70's, and takes me back to when I was a kid. If you want modern-everything, don't stay here because it means you came here for the wrong reason. Again, it takes me back to a simpler time.

It's about fresh air, beach and a place to kick back after a long day in the sun. It's kept very clean. The beds are very comfortable, and the type of people visiting will assuredly engage in good conversation. Most visitors seem to be between 35 and 65. So, that means it's very quiet.

The beach is private, sometimes having the beach all to yourself. If gawking at women is your thing, stay further north in Daytona.

They have a restaurant adjoining the motel, cooking up authentic Italian food. You can take it to your room or eat in. All guests at the motel get a 20% discount.

I read some of the reviews here that people are saying it was bad. It was bad because you are used to modern motels and didn't go to Surfcaster to relax, but instead just have a bed to sleep in. And again, I wouldn't want the owners to change a thing, as I'll continue going there for many years to come.

Room Tip: Room 9 and 3 are the best rooms, as they're more of an efficiency than the other simple rooms. I...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MisterSmith
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Could be a wonderful little gem- great location for turtle watching and a secluded beach- pathetically managed unfortunately. Rooms desperately outdated, not really clean, not a place I would return to, unfortunately.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank kmafla
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 16, 2013

When we left this place we felt like they should have paid us to stay there , yes it was that bad !
No maid service..The smell is pretty bad. Dirt on the floors , dirt in the bed , dirt in the shower..The toilet was about the size of a potty trainer...No parking at night ,people getting pizza occupy the parking spots for the motel. The remote did not work for the TV , looked like it had not worked in years..No phones in the rooms ,you need to step outside the room to get cell service.. You had to find your own wash clothes and towels in the laundry room (that was locked most of the time). Nobody was ever in the office.The list could go on and on ,trust on this........After doing more research, supposedly Tiara By the Sea the better of the motels along that stretch of A1A..IDK may try that place next ,because the Melbourne Beach area is very nice ,it's not congested like other beach towns.

Room Tip: Bring a fan if you must stay there ,because the a/c doesn't cut it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank John A
Palm Coast, Florida
Reviewed July 26, 2013

THANK YOU Phil & Rich!
We loved being right on the beach AND ..... you have an award winning Chef - Chef Charlie!!
THANK YOU for the awesome dinner!! D'Angelo's is GREAT!
We came for the pristine beach with lots of turtle activity and that is exactly what we enjoyed!!.

Room Tip: Room 6 or the "upstairs" rooms are best for ocean view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last night for only one night. The room was smelly and dirty. The first thing I noticed was the stench when we walked into the room. It was a mix of air freshener, mildew and sulfur. The room was had a small kitchen, but I would never have prepared food in there. When there is insect bate sitting on the countertop, it is not a good sign.

The water was disgusting. It smelled like reclaimed water, and if you live in Florida, you will recognize the rotten egg, sulfur smell that reclaimed water has. I took a shower and felt disgusting afterwards. My hair smelled like the water. The sink had the same water so imagine washing your face or brushing your teeth. They really need to have their pipes inspected or to install a filtration system.

The walls are paper thin. I didn't sleep all night because the neighbors had their television on from the evening until we left at 9am. It was loud. Of course, there is no one to call because there was no one in the office from 4pm to 10am.

I certainly wasn't expecting a 4 star hotel. A friend booked the room and told us it was $89/night, but when we checked in, it was $120. This is what we got for $120. No sleep, a shower that made me actually feel dirtier than when I walked off of the beach, and bugs crawling on the counters. For the amount of money we paid, we should have gotten much more.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Radisson Suite Hotel Oceanfront
Sea View Inn
Sea View Inn
#3 of 13 in Melbourne Beach

Been to Surfcaster Motel? Share your experiences!