“Small Hotel, Dog Friendly, Beach at Your Door”
Review of Surfcaster Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Melbourne Beach
Surfcaster Motel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Melbourne Beach
Reviewed June 10, 2008

We found the Surfcaster Motel on line by "googling" the words "Melbourne Beach, hotel, dog friendly". They have their own website. We have 2 teenaged kids and a very large dog. We're taking a family road trip over the kids' summer vacation and staying in Melbournbe Beach to visit with old friends who live here. We're here for a week. Wouldn't leave the dog in a kennel that long, so the real challenge is to find decent accomodations for everyone -- including our Daisy dog.

Our reservations were screwed up by a cranky clerk named Teresa. Though I made the reservations over the telephone and gave Teresa the exact dates, when I received the email confirmation, the dates were wrong. I emailed back and wrote that I had "clearly told the clerk on the phone the correct dates". The instant reply I received from Teresa was caustic and non-apologetic. She said she was the one who does all the reservations and she had 2 employees complaining to her while she was confirming our reservations, so what did I expect? To tell you the truth, we considered cancelling our reservations after receiving this nasty-gram from Teresa, but decided to let it go because we really liked that the motel was on the beach and would take our dog.

The Surfcaster is not new, not exotic and certainly not a resort. It IS kid and dog friendly, though. And for us, this is the most important thing. I've read through all the other reviews here at TripAdvisor and I have to say, I was most disturbed by the "bed bug" review which was posted here just days before our arrival. Not much we could do at that point. Bearing that in mind, our experience so far has been pretty good. And we haven't seen hide nor hair of Teresa : )

The motel itself is old and tired. It really needs the help of a decorator, or just someone whose style is more reminiscent of Pier One than Walmart. Doors are in poor shape, and the furniture has seen better days. We have 2 rooms here --adjoining -- which is very convenient. The beds are OK. No bugs and no bug bites in either room. Maybe they called an exterminator? Our room has an efficiency kitchen. The stove is very small, like half size. That makes cooking with the pots and pans they have provided (regular sized) very difficult. In any case, and considering they have been more than graceful about our Daisy (who howls when she hears anything out of the ordinary), we have no insect complaints. No bed bugs. No cockroaches. So far, at least.

We have not eaten at Rosati's, though they seem to do a good business on the weekends, particularly among the younger folks. Also noticed that there are many young people who use the Surfcaster parking lot and access the beach (which is public and not private to the motel) from there. They also use the wash-off area between the beach and parking lot, gratis. No one seems to get too bothered by this.

In summary, I'd say this is a decent motel, particularly for pet owners. If you want a top notch, condo-style experience, look elsewhere. If you want fine food, look elsewhere. If you're OK with a laid back atmosphere, beach front and dog friendly, consider this place. The price of admission is very reasonable, and frankly, all I care about is that it's clean, they're OK with dogs (any size) and the beach is footsteps away.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank TucsonTrina

Reviewed June 5, 2008

Well, during my stay at the Surfcaster, I noticed I was getting insect bites in my sleep. Thinking it was gnats or mosquitoes let in through coming in and out of the house, I let it go (though I must tell you, I had approximately fifty bites by the time I left).

I got home, and within a few days, the bites returned, and this time, were much worse.

My pest control company explained the problem: BED BUGS. My room at the Surfcaster was FULL OF THEM and I BROUGHT THEM HOME WITH ME.

So, needless to say, I'm itchy and irate. It's costing me quite a bit to exterminate them from my home using harsh chemicals that are unsafe for my kids and my dog, yet I have no choice. It's that or continue to be chewed alive at night by my unwelcome transients from the Surfcaster.

Further, while we were there, I must note that the restaurant, Rosatis, was nothing spectacular. It's governed by a bunch of young employees who have a hard time processing orders or dealing with customers.

The owners, while we were there, were quite nice to us during our stay.

That, however, doesn't make up for my infestation. Be very very wary before you book a room at the Surfcaster. You could get way more than you bargained for.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jboudreau
LEC5935, Owner at Surfcaster Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2009

Our exterminator feels that this problem had to have come from another guest or from soneone's pet because this was the only room effected. We got rid of all bedding and curtains and isolated the room for a week and have not had another situation since. Our exterminator takes pride in his work as we take pride in the cleanlyness of our rooms.
we can only offer our sincerest applogizes for isolated situations.

Reviewed August 21, 2007

My friend and I just wanted a weekend away from the husbands to go fishing and I found this place on the web. Only 8 units but the owners and manager were wonderful! Made us feel right at home. We were only there 2 nights but I could definately stay longer. The rates are great, right on the beach. Got to see sea turtles trying to nest and the room was very very clean. Great little mom and pop place with just the right atmosphere!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank debmkay
Reviewed July 27, 2006

Please DO not go here expecting the Ritz Carlton--that, it isn't--or if you are into all inclusive resorts and prefab architecture, THIS ISN'T the place for you. However, it has the charm/friendliness of old Florida and simpler times. The innkeepers are lovely and onsite--working hard and running the restaurant--but are low key and understated. The property is right on the beach, no pool, but who cares, you've got the ocean! The beach boasts incredible sea life and herons and crains are right there! Accommodations are roomy and private, plus pets are allowed so entire place is friendly and open.

The woman who ran the front desk was so helpful and friendly--they have videos, books to borrow, etc--and suggested we go sea kayaking at a nearby fish camps. This was absolutely incredible and relaxing--would strongly recommend as we saw a manatee!!! Will definitely go back to this charming place--so ez to get to from Orlando and truly relaxing and an escape. Bring a beach chair!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank kloot
Reviewed March 11, 2006

My husband and I traveled from Key West to Washington DC last week and after searching on the computer for a nice place to stop for a night, I picked Melbourne Beach and the Surfcaster Motel. We drive to Key West every year for a month and I look for places to stop on the way to Key West and the way back home. I am always trying to find a new place and one of the nights this year was spent in Melbourne. The Surfcaster Motel is a small old fashioned kind of motel...just what I was looking for. A little funky, but clean and comfortable. We loved that it was right on the beach...too bad all the rooms don't face the ocean, but its only steps away.

They also have a nice little Italian restaurant right there at the motel which we went to. We had some great salads, and a really good pizza. As a chef and ownner of a gourmet restaurant, I am always looking for different kinds of ideas, foods and places. They served us some really nice bread and a bowl of herbs and roasted garlic that we poured a nice olive oil into to dip the bread in. It was a nice touch. We each ordered different salads and both were great. The antipasta salad and the greek salad. We had a nice pepperoni pizza and thought it was a great pizza. Everyone has their own thoughts on what the perfect pizza is, and this one was ours. We don't like a lot of crust and this had just enough. The sauce and chesse and pepperoni's were all just the right amount and had great flavors. Prices were very reasonable and they had some very good priced wines. Not an expensive, fine dining restaurant, but a great comfortable, good quality place. Everyone was friendly, and our service was very good. We will definitely go back and of course eat at Rosati's again!

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank patsysgourmet
A TripAdvisor Member
New York, New York
Reviewed November 7, 2005

I stayed at the Surfcaster Motel in March, 2005. The
rooms were IMMACULATE --- maid service came every day. I NEVER saw a "roach", or any other insect for that matter. In fact, I've already informed the owners of my intention to stay at the Surfcaster again next year!

I ate several times at Rosati's, the Italian restaurant that adjoins the Surfcaster. The food was absolutely top-notch, with a "homestyle" flavor!

The Surfcaster is VERY "pet-friendly" --- which is
what they advertise. The motel staff (and fellow guests!) were MARVELOUS with my dog Tyler... He was
treated with kindness and warmth --- just as if he were a "people" guest!

The Surfcaster's location on the beach is PERFECT.... Also, the motel is close to a local shopping center (Driftwood Plaza) with a Publix supermarket. In the room where I stayed there was a fine kitchen to cook what I bought at the Publix, so every night did not have to be an expensive evening out at a restaurant! There's also an inexpensive, but quite good, Chinese restaurant named Wok's in the shopping center.

I highly recommend the Surfcaster.

• Stayed: March 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Boise
Reviewed August 6, 2005

I stayed here with a friend for a week, and we enjoyed it very much! The hurricane damage is still evident on the exterior, but the interior of our unit was clean and tidy, and there are stairs down to the beach. Rosati's isn't five-star Italian, but we had a reasonably good dinner there with friendly service. I would definitely go back.

Stayed: June 2005
#1 of 1 in Melbourne Beach
Beach Tropics Motel
Beach Tropics Motel
#4 of 5 in Indialantic

Been to Surfcaster Motel? Share your experiences!