“Ok for non-vacation stay” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Direct and Save
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Melbourne
Waterville, Ohio
“Ok for non-vacation stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights for a business trip in Melbourne. The queen bed suite was clean but worn. The "leather" recliner showed many signs of wear and tear. There was no luggage stand, so luggage had to remain on the floor or the chair. The vent in the bathroom was covered with a piece of cardboard. The bed was comfortable. The carpet was worn and dirty, so flip flops are a must. The front desk staff was friendly when we saw them; often the desk was unattended. The convenience store in the lobby was well stocked with food items. There is no pool, so if you're hoping to bask in the Florida sun, you'll have to drive to the beach (which is just over the causeway). This is a good place to stay if you're not going to be in the room very much and are not looking for pampering.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank JamieD55
ShainaFDM, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites Melbourne, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback. We appreciate every review and always use them to improve in any way. You've pointed out some important issues and I would first like to mention that since we do not have a pool on property we offer free full access to the YMCA 1 mile north of our location. While there are no luggage racks in the rooms, we do have them available to borrow whenever they may be needed. We sincerely apologize for the condition of the room as we are in the process of upgrading which includes all new bed lines, recliners and office chairs. I am so sorry that the room you were assigned was not up to your standards and we hope that you will give us another chance in the future and experience the improvements we've made. Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Valdosta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I'll start by saying this was my first trip to Melbourne, so I can't compare this to other local hotels. It is very typical for a Candlewood. In my room, everything was very clean - the bathroom, the kithcen, the floors, the bed...all clean and comfortable. Even the dishes were clean and ready for use (though I always run them through the dishwasher before I use them). The front desk staff was also freindly and helpful. They explained all of the amenities and recommended local restaurants, etc. I had to check out one day early and there were no problems doing that, either. The room I had appeared to have had a fairly recent remodel. The kitchen cabinets and the pots, pans, and utensils all looked new. To me, this is the most important fact because being able to cook my own meals is the main reason I book Candlewood Suites. The other reason I recomend Candlewood Suites is that most travelers are business people - they are generally quiet becasue there are not alot of kids running around; this one was that way - mostly business people and quiet. The hotel is also conveniet to Melbourne, I-95, and the beach. And there is a Publix within a 5 minute drive. (If you are not from the south, Publix is the best grocery chain you will ever experience - service, selection, cleanliness, and value - all 5 stars; but that's a seperate review!) After my first stay in Melbourne, I would highly recommend this Candlewood Suites.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
ShainaFDM, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites Melbourne, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you so much for the kind words! We're so grateful that you chose our hotel and were able to really enjoy your stay and feel comfortable at our property. We take pride in the cleanliness here and also making sure our guest's stay is as easy and accommodating as possible. Thank you again!

PS you are definitely right about Publix! : )
South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed here during the busy holidays. The room was perfect for our family. The kitchen was well equipped and the staff went above and beyond to make our stay pleasant. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
ShainaFDM, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites Melbourne, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
We're so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! We try to make things as convenient as possible for our guests and part of that is including a fully stocked kitchen in all of our guest rooms. A few other amenities we offer are free washer and dryers, free WiFi and a free DVD lending library to name a few. Thank you for your review, we will see you on your next visit!
Cocoa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Pros---friendly staff with excellent customer service

Cons-- needs a thorough cleaning---all wall surfaces, light switches, kitchen cabinets, refrigerator, stove, closet doors and knobs were grimy--some worse than others but this needs to be seriously addressed. Thank goodness there was a cvs---I bought Clorox wipes and wiped down the entire room. Yes I could have called the front desk but I was afraid they'd try to clean using the cleaner that you smell everywhere in the hotel. Good heavens I think they pump it through the air vents because it's definitely not being used to clean with-----I guess they are trying to mask the smell of cigarette smoke which unfortunately doesn't work. So you're either smelling high levels of cleaning solution or smoke. No pool and cell reception not great. If this hotel would stop allowing customers to smoke in their rooms half of their bad reviews would be solved. The hotel does not "have to permit" smoking just because it's an extended stay hotel. It's their choice to allow it.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank CocoaVillager
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Melbourne, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear CocoaVillager,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It's great to hear your compliments on our friendly hotel staff and excellent customer service. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. It is truly regrettable that there were certain aspects of your visit that did not meet your standards in particular the overall cleanliness in your room. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or discomfort it may have caused you. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and services we offer to our guests.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Consistent experience compared to other Candlewood suites I have stayed. Clean and comfortable room. Good, safe location. The stairwells can be bit more clean and it was smelling bad with smoking smell.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
ShainaFDM, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites Melbourne, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. It's gratifying to hear you always enjoy your stay with us. We appreciate your input on the stairwells and will work hard to keep these up to par as we do with our rooms. Thank you again!
Rego Park, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed at Candlewood due to its proximity to the offices of the company I was visiting for my business trip to Melbourne. It's not a beachside hotel by any stretch of imagination nor is it flashy or touristy, but it was more than adequate for my needs during my stay.

Aside from walking distance to the office buildings I needed to visit, Candlewood Suites also was a quick walk to a CVS store, making it perfect to pick up supplies I needed after my flight or even for a quick snack or dinner. This in of itself made staying here very practical. I stayed in a 1 bed room which could easily be called a studio, but it was spacious for 1 person easily. They even had a bag of popcorn in the microwave for me once I finally arrived, made me feel very welcome.

The room itself was functional, it came with Wifi, a full size refrigerator (complete with an ice maker) and plenty of cupboard space. It had the feel that I could stay here extensively as a home away from home. This, marked with the very reasonable price per night I got right here on TripAdvisor, I don't see what else could have made this place more suiting to my needs.

A few drawbacks were the hard water stains on the shower wall in the bathroom and I found it odd that cleaning service was only once a week, perhaps I'm just used to my sheets being changed each day once I return due to a day's activity, still didn't bother me much during my 3 night stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
ShainaFDM, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites Melbourne, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
We're pleased to hear that you had everything you needed during your stay here with us. It's always nice when a guest can feel comfortable in there home away from whether it be for a few nights or a few months. Thank you so much for writing your review of our property. We hope to see you again in the future!
Schenectady, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

This was my first stay at one of these suites. The staff were very accommodating and responsive to our requests, from getting the DVD to play and even mailing back a forgotten computer charger.
The suite was comfortable and by and large clean. The side of the refrigerator next to the kitchen sink was dirty with splash dripping down the side. A single chair had a tatty cover pull over I presume to hide broken upholstery. But in all, the suite was fine. A honesty system operates in the small but well stocked pantry. We actually bought a few frozen meals there. There is a small gym with the basics, good enough for a decent away for home work out. Laundry facilities are part of the gym,.

Room Tip: This establishment is in a quiet location so no traffic noise affected us on the ground floor.