“Nice Hotel/Bad Breakfast”

Hampton Inn Melbourne
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Overall our stay was great, however, this was probably the worst breakfast I have ever had at a Hampton Inn. The eggs were fake and cold, the sausage was cold, the waffle maker did not work on our first morning, and only 1/2 of the toaster worked, so the number of people waiting for toast was always long.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike35704

Reviewed August 6, 2013

good place to rest. would use agian if i'm in the area. the only problem i had was that they only had a half a roll of toilet paper in the bath room. witch i did not relize untill 2am when i was useing the the bath room.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My Wife and I had a two-night stay on June 21,21, 2013. This Hampton Inn strays far from the level of quality that I have come to expect from Hampton Inn and Suites.

The weather was quite hot and muggy during our stay, and one would hope for relief upon entering the hotel, but this Hampton does not provide climate control in the hallways or elevators! One could only rush to their room for relief.

The elevators smelled badly due to the accumulation of body odors, resulting from the heat and lack of A/C.

Then came breakfast (or lack there of). Perhaps I've been spoiled at other locations with freshly scrambled eggs, breakfast meats, biscuits and gravy, fresh fruits,etc.
But at West Melbourne, they served up some really nasty-looking, pre-formed/frozen, omelettes. They were much worse than anything I've ever seen at McD's!

No breakfast meats, no biscuits and gravy...Breakfast was Bad! This for me is very important as I love my Breakfast.

In summary, the Hotel and Rooms were clean, the beds comfortable. So the reason for the 1-star rating is that it would take so little for this Hotel to garner a 5-Star review, but owners/management are obviously trying to cut corners.

Room Tip: Try another Hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ronald C
MLBDK, General Manager at Hampton Inn Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

I appreciate that you took the time to complete the survey regarding your recent stay at our property. We do read the responses and note any areas that need improvement.

I apologize for the warm halls. The hotel was constructed with the air conditioning vents located in the center of the halls. During the summer months, the ends of the halls do get rather warm. There are no controls to adjust the temperature.

In regards to breakfast, we must adhere to the Hampton Brand Standards and only serve products on their approved list. We are required to serve an egg product with either a meat or carbohydrate. We have an 8-day rotating menu in which we serve an egg item (cheese omelet, western omelet, or scrambled eggs) with a meat (turkey bacon, pork sausage patties, turkey links, or maple links), or a carbohydrate (home fries, bagel toppers, French toast, or sausage gravy and biscuits).

Thank you for choosing Hampton Inn Melbourne.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I travel on business and have stayed in many Hampton Inn hotels. This is an older hotel but the rooms still open inside, not motel style. If you are staying for more than the night, there is not much around the hotel except a Denny's and and IHOP. It is right off 95 and far from just about everything.

Breakfast is standard Hampton food and was served by a cordial young man who did his best to make everyone feel welcome. The kitchen was stocked and forks spoons a plates were always available if you need them. Cookies, Otis Spunkmeyer, were served each weeknight.

They have a work out room that seemed smaller than the size of one of the rooms. It had an elliptical machine and a treadmill and some kind of pulley weight machine. It was adequate for one person, but felt claustrophobic with two people in there.

The real problem was with the rooms. I'll start off with the worst problem first. On my departure morning I noticed a single bed bug crawling on the sheets in room 305. I missed a review on this hotel from 2011, which also addressed this same issue. Seems as if they are aware of the problem but have not have gotten rid of the infestation, or they have a new one. I brought one of the insects to the front desk and the response was, "I'll let our exterminators know." I requested the 100% guarantee which I received.

Other issues are not as serious as above. The hallways were probably 90 degrees the times I stayed here. I tried a few rooms to get one that had not been smoked in and was relatively clean.

I try to always remove the AC grills in the room to see if the vents are open and if the filters are clean. In this hotel, in each room they were as dirty as the next. I'm not sure or don't remember if there were filters in these units. I'm not sure the vents open so I don't know where fresh air comes into the rooms. So if a room is smoked in, all they can do is spray a deodorant. The AC units were harboring old food (Fruit Loops in one of them) and some other disgusting stuff. The units looked like it had been a long time since they had been cleaned. Also, the AC is blowing right on the table and chair which makes sitting there or eating there uncomfortable. The table being right on top of the AC leads to food dropping in them I guess. Refrigerator and microwave were clean and adequate. I agree with another reviewer that the shower curtains could use some cleaning. They also only put just the required basic amenities of soap shampoo and I think conditioner. I know they did not have the mouthwash and cleansing sheets I usually find at Hampton hotels.

Another problem was that I came in Sunday and as of Wednesday night they had not changed the sheets. I called down and they said the sheets would be changed Thursday which they were, just in time for my departure on Friday. Because of this and the issues outlined above, I am concerned that the appearance of clean that others comment on is not addressing the filth that is not seen.

I gave a poor rating because of the cleanliness issues, things most travelers don't see in a one night stay. There are some good things about the hotel, but their long standing issues with bed bugs and their lackadaisical attitude towards ensuring their staff keeps even things you don't see clean, resulted in the poor review.

Room Tip: Avoid 305 and adjacent rooms. Go on line and search to learn the signs of bed bugs and how to prote...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Stompper
MLBDK, Manager at Hampton Inn Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

The insect problem was resolved 28 Jun 2013.

Yolanda Lifter
Hampton Inn Melbourne

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel not only had very nice facilities, but really honored the 100% satisfaction guarantee. We booked this Hampton Inn to attend a funeral, and chose it because another hotel option had a warning on their site that their hotel had a large athletic youth tournament group in the hotel on these dates. We checked in after an 11hour drive and had dinner nearby. The elevator was full of water, perhaps from kids dripping from the pool, but this was cleaned up by the time we returned.
Our room was lovely, but we could not sleep due to very loud noise, partying from the lobby below. My husband went to the lobby and spoke to the desk staff, but they were coping as best they could with a great many poorly supervised young athletes. On a second trip down, he spoke with courtesy asking an indifferent chaperone if he could help to tone the kids down. Then we experienced a gathering right outside our door, followed by door-knocking by kids laughing and running away. The next day, the hotel staff agreed a warning on the web site might have been helpful, as the other hotel had done. We were offered a room change, but ultimately checked out after the funeral, since the tournament was still underway, with no hopes this unsupervised behavior monopolizing a very nice hotel property might change. We were assured we will receive a full refund. I commend Hampton Inn and would choose this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Yolanda L, General Manager at Hampton Inn Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

I am so sorry that your stay was ruined by the disruptiveness of the 2 groups in the hotel.

Thank you for choosing Hampton Inn Melbourne. I hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Yolanda Lifter, General Manager

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is a great Hampton, family friendly but not loud either. Good breakfast, lobby and all public areas. Very clean but some carpets are ready to be replaced/updated. It's off the main road and feels private as it's the only business on Dike Road. Somewhat rural feeling - in fact, we had a resident rooster great us just outside the front entrance every morning!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Yolanda L, General Manager at Hampton Inn Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Thomas, our rooster, seems to be very popular with the guests.

Thank you for choosing Hampton Inn Melbourne. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

If you're looking for a really nice room at a fair price, this Hampton Inn is perfect. Unfortunatley, the hotel is not near the beach or downtown Melbourne, otherwise it would have gotten "excellent" across the board.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
MLBDK, General Manager at Hampton Inn Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you for choosing Hampton Inn Melbourne. We hope to see you again.