“Nice but older”

Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed December 26, 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
MINESH P, General Manager at Super 8 Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Reviewed December 25, 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
MINESH P, General Manager at Super 8 Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Great location. Units are a little old, but quite spacious, and generally well maintained. Staff is very helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
MINESH P, General Manager at Super 8 Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear Sir,

We thank you for your kind words, they are an inspiration to our staff. It was a pleasure having you as a guest.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

After reading the comments of some other travelers, I thought by my self, it can't be possible the hotel is so bad, but be ready for a not a great surprise.
I get a room in the 1st floor in the corridor in a non smoking room and the smell was so bad, I needed to keep holding my breath every time I opened the door from the hallway to the room or from my room in my way out; Not kidding.
The guy next door is one of the staff who lives in the place and cooks in the room. The times I walked in or out of the corridors, this guy had the door open and in was watching TV in his underwear to let the smell of what ever he cooks that evening go away in to the corridor. If I try to describe that smell, I thing this is what I can came up with... Smells from smoke cigarettes with some type of chemical to try to cover it up, garlic, musty wet smell and the worst part was, like a some one vomit (Not kidding) all together.
At the end of the night when I was getting ready to go sleep, the TV in this guys room was so loud I can't hear my TV so I talked to the manager. The manager of the place approached this person and both started screaming (almost 11 pm by now) he also mention then whatever he cooked that day stunk up the whole place and he took 2 garbage bags out of this guy’s place.

The sound is fixed, so I thought I should go to sleep and when I try to move one of the pillows another surprise, looks like one of them have never been changed from the previous person who occupied the room before me. (I will post a photo so you see)
By now it is my 3rd trip to the office in which now I want a different room; the manager gave me a room in the opposite side of the building, The only problem now is the room I get is only 15 or 20 feet from HWY 1 with a lot of traffic noise but happy I am away from that hallway.

The price of the hotel was economical, the location was great for what I needed to go and do, the breakfast... you can't call that breakfast and only a very small table and 1 chair to seat.

The only reason I give 2 star and not 1 to the hotel is because the manager at the very end try fix the situation to make me happy but I just made my mind to do not stay for another night in that hotel.
I call the place where I did my reservation and I book my 2nd night in another hotel for an extra $10 and what a differences it make.

You decide, I hope this will help some body and be prepared.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Dear Sir,

My goal as the GM is to provide each and very guest a great experience during their stay at my hotel, and I sincerely apologize that we were unable to meet not only yours but my own expectation as well that night. That was the primary reason that although you had a non-refundable reservation, I overrode the restriction. The following is simply an explanation and by no account an excuse, and since your departure, the deficiencies has been corrected and it will be our diligent effort to prevent such situations in the future.

You are absolutely right, the guest (not an employee) that was in the room next to you, was cooking food and preparing meals in the room and therefore there was the presence of strong odors. We provide microwave ovens and refrigerators in many of our rooms for the guests convenience, and we were unaware until a little before your arrival that the other guest was actually cooking in the room. And it turns out that the gentleman is hearing impaired! and did not like wearing hearing aids.

We are one of the very few hotels that are still offering smoking rooms and, while we have signs posted all over the property that smoking is prohibited in the corridors and hallways, unfortunately we continue to have some guests that do not take notice of the signs! Actually we have signs on the entrances doors that read " No smoking within 15 feet of the entrances". And believe me, being a no-smoker I understand your objection to the smell.

Your comments have helped us understand your sentiments and we will diligently work to correct similar situations going forward.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed at this super 8 for a week and felt as though I was a member of Mr. Patel's family. Property was very clean and attractive. Breakfast was very nice. My room was bright and clean. Everything worked in my room just fine. Only sad time came when I had to leave to go home. Workers there were very polite and worked very hard. People that stayed there were very friendly also. I walked the streets some evenings and felt very safe. Thank you Minesh for being so nice to me, I can't wait to return.
Sincerly
Paul Beckers

Room Tip: I stayed in 116 it was a big room than I stayed in 115 which was a little smaller but very nice also...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank kippersnack01
MINESH P, General Manager at Super 8 Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Mr. Beckers,

It has been a great pleasure to host you. Your comments are a great inspiration and the staff will be happy to read.

Customer satisfaction is an objective secondary to none, and I am glad to have made it feel at home during your stay. And of course, it will be my pleasure to host you again and again, whenever an opportunity arises.

Thank you very much for the encouraging words. We will continue to work hard and diligently to earn them again.

Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

The stay was bad. As soon as I got off from the car, the whole area had a bad smell of fish. Beside the hotel, they had an aquarium and it smelt bad. Front desk service was ok but again the hotel smelt different and worst. It had the same smell all over the corridors and even in the room. Room was ok, small, and the next day when I woke up, I had bite marks all over my back...I guess due to some bug.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Nishz A
MINESH P, General Manager at Super 8 Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

I thank you very much for your review. Customer satisfaction is my primary objective, and your comments provides us with valuable feedback. Please be assured that each of your comments will be porperly addressed to improve the quality of service we provide at my hotel. I personally have inspected the audit trail of your booking, and failed to notice any additional charges applied to your stay. Your reservation was received from our internet system, you had booked a smoking room with a king bed, and you were charged the exact same rate! If you still have a question regarding your charges please contact me directly via email: super8melb@live.com and I can provide you with further detailed information.