“If You Love the Sound of the Waves in your Room, This is the Place to Be!”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 7, 2010

We spent 3 nights in this hotel at the start of our Thanksgiving vacation in Florida, and the experience was great! We arrived mid morning after driving all night (16 hours) and were able to check right into our room without any wait or hassle, which was lovely. We spent the extra $10 to upgrade to the 9th (top) floor, and recommend you request a suite as far away from the elevator as possible, so that the traffic outside your room is minimized. We had the room almost at the very end of the "north" tower and were never disturbed by any other guests. The suites are cozy, but VERY comfortable, and have everything you could need - nice fluffy, big towels, a separate sink from the shower/bathroom, small refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave, and a remote TV in both the living room and the bedroom. The bedroom is closer to the water (all suites are oceanfront and all have small balconies wtih 2 chairs for sitting and viewing the ocean) than the living room, so you can open the sliding glass doors and let the sound of the waves lull you to sleep...........so lovely. The air conditioning was off - needed emergency repair - for 2 days while we were there, but the management informed all the guests of the issue, and there were nice cool breeezes both days, so it was not an issue in the guestrooms. The rooms were very clean and everything was comfortable. One thing that you get on the "upgraded" floors is 2 bottles of water in the room - but you only get them the first night you stay there. That seemed a bit strange - $10 more per night per room and they can't put 2 bottle in the rooms each day? Seemed a bit miserly..... Another good thing is that you can order room service or eat downstairs in the restaurant or by the pool, so you don't have to drive at night if you don't want to. They also have menus at the front desk if you want to see what is out there and they have menus for Chinese take out, Pappa John's Delivery, etc.

The bartender/waitress at the pool was awesome!!! She was cheerful and helpful and fast - what a delight! She makes great drinks and even gives you a cup with toasted coconut (on the side) for your rum drinks - very cool!!!

One thing to be aware of at this hotel (and possibly others in FL) - even though they a beachfront hotel, the beach chairs and umbrellas are owned by another business and you need to pay $20 for their use for a day. We had our own beach chairs because we drove down, but its' a nasty surprise if you think they are included in your room rate and then hear $20 more is required to sit on the beach. There are nice chairs around the pool, however, and they are included in your room rate.

Oh, and don't forget the yummy, warm, chocolate chip cookies!!!!

We would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SailingGirlPa
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront

Reviewed November 29, 2010

Had a wonderful 8 day visit combining work and play and was joined by my sister for part of the week for her birthday.
I was concerned after reading the reviews but everything was wonderful. 6th floor on the south wing. The hotel is only as wide as the rooms so I dont think you can get a room without a balcony view of the ocean unless you are on the main floor. Rooms are E-W oriented, enter from parkinglot view (and nice view of west sunsets over the river) and walk thru the room to the east, ocean-side balcony.
The room was clean and we did not ask for room service but 1 day for new towels, etc.
We were there on the heels of hurricane Igor and enjoyed crashing waves and a fabulous breeze.
The decor was fine, not modern, but I spent little time in the room. Didnt eat at the restaurant, too many other good places to check out with wider and cost-concious choices.
Blueberry Muffin and SquidLips were my faves. There is another restaurant bar a few miles south that has a full moon party in a great open bar and dining area.
My sister moved to Miami the next month and took her new hubby for a 3 day stay here because we liked it so much!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank 4dordys
Reviewed November 18, 2010

Extremely friendly staff!!! Speedy check in....couldn't believe how fast it was. Warm & nummy cookies upon checking in. Oceanfront-so incredible view. Very clean & relaxing. Good Parking. I would stay here over and over again. Loved the way the hotel was decorated.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sunandpalmtrees
tpipher, Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to give such wonderful feedback. We are very happy to see that you had a fantastic time and hope to see you return.

Trent Pipher
Hotel Manager

Reviewed November 7, 2010

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet is similar to other Hilton properties. $15 cab ride to downtown Melbourne.

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank Scottcornman
Reviewed November 7, 2010

I booked a king suite through Hotels.com. However, I was told I could only have a double bed room on check-in. Hotels.com was called an disclaimed any responsibility for the room and indicated it was all up to the hotel to deliver. I was surprised and very disappointed that Hotels.com was selling rooms that the DoubleTree would not deliver. The DoubleTree informed me that no king suites were available and did not authorize Hotels.com to offer them. Odd, because they had the reservation, just would not honor the better room quality I had paid for.

Hotels.com should live up to their claims even if they act as a representative for the hotel to ensure that customers get what is promised. Hotels.com refused to honor the reservation I paid for and I was stuck with a lower grade room that I still had to pay the higher rate.

Because the Doubletree Melbourne Beach booked a wedding party, no room change was offered even thought a staff person told me they were holding vacant rooms for last minutes, high costs tourist.

My room was invested with bugs and the Doubletree refused to do anything about it. I guess bed bugs don't matter to the Doubletree Hotel. The hotel just refused to clean the room properly and left trash all around the hotel [cause of bugs?]

I had to beg for clean towels every day of my stay. The front desk staff always appeared to be angry and unhappy. They were short-tempered with every guest that went to the desk to speak with them about a problem.

This was one of the worst experiences I ever had. I will never trust Hotels.com again. And, hope everyone avoids this bug-infested hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank WhoSaysDat
tpipher, Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2011

Hello, I am the Hotel Manager for the Doubletree Melbourne Beach Oceanfront. I apologize for the misunderstanding with the Hotels.com booking and how it was handled. Unfortunately, the hotel was sold out due to the space shuttle launch in the area and the room guarnatee was reserved for a ground floor double double. We would of been more than happy to arrange for the room to be changed a few days later when something came available with a king bed. As for the bed bug incident, I can absolutely guarantee 100% that the Doubletree Melbourne Beach Oceanfront is not all bug infested with bed bug or any type of bugs. We use every resource available to ensure our hotel is free of bugs, especially bed bugs. Again, I do apologize for the mishap with Hotels.com and the miscommunication between booking agents. We try our best to ensure reservations are met and all requests are honored.

Reviewed November 2, 2010

I booked a stay with Expedia, and was guaranteed a balcony room. I then called to make sure I had exactly that with the hotel, and was told I would have a room with a balcony at a higher floor. I showed up with my wife and they gave me a ground floor room (no balcony, as booked) and they refused to fix it, as there was a space shuttle launch.The explanation varied after that, depending who you talked to. I have no view ,as promised, and lots of people have arrived after me to get better rooms. (I checked). We look at bushes, and our door opens to the parking lot. This is called a balcony suite. There never was a balcony, there was a porch on the ground.(Can't leave that open at night to listen to the ocean) I bought and paid for one thing, and was ripped off.. The desk manager Angela [-] was the particular hostile individual in this issue. She is no asset to Doubletree. This was a big mistake for Doubletree, as I did not come for tourism. I came to see family, and I come for long stretches. Doubletree was a big mistake. Good luck in your misguided customer service career, Angela. Expedia was no help either. I'm done with them to. All I wanted was what I paid for, no more.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank paulnewmannotrippedo
Reviewed October 30, 2010

We stayed for one night on our way from Miami to Orlando. Breaking up the journey was a great idea as the journey on the Florida Turnpike can be very boring and we would have been happy to stay longer in the hotel. The room had an oceanview, two double beds, bathroom and lounge area giving plenty of space for us and our two teens. It also had two t.v's which was very handy! The breakfast was a little dissapointing, not enough staff to assist the number of guests but a decent enough choice of breakfast items. The reception staff were very helpful as was the lady who worked in Rio's bar. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank LizzieExplorerTravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront