“I would go back tomorrow”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
texas
“I would go back tomorrow”
Reviewed July 21, 2009

My husband, two daughters and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. It was wonderful. The staff was so friendly and the rooms were terrific. Every room has an ocean view (balcony) and our room just happened to be on a corner also over looking the pool. We loved it there. The walk to the beach was just over a bridge and the beach was not crowded at all. My girls loved the non alcoholic strawberry and raspberry margaritas from the pool bar (Rio's). We were initially only supposed to stay 5 nights but when the shuttle launch kept being delayed we stayed an extra night. The great desk clerk even gave me the rate I had paid for the previous nights. Though our whole purpose for the trip was the shuttle launch, I could definitely see myself vacationing at this hotel again. Just the atmosphere and the beach made the vacation great. While I have seen other reviews that the bathroom was small, I thought it was fine. It was a full size shower and the mirror, sink and vanity were on the outside so while someone was showerinng others could be using the mirror or washing up. The bathroom was fine.

3 Thank kborund

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Washington DC
Reviewed July 18, 2009

Stayed July 5- July11, 2009. Beach is great. Though, you have to be careful for big waves and need to be watchful for some rocks as you go little further. For surfing, you have to be going little further than Cocoa Beach. But you can surf if you a good surfer. The beach is not for beginner surfers. The night time was perfect. We left our balcony door open whole night long to hear the waves. If you are looking for peaceful, quiet time, this is the place. If you are for bars, night life, stay at the Cocoa Beach. For a family with 2 young children, this is a perfect get-away.
The front desk staff is very friendly and mostly knowledgeable about the around food places. The hotel staff is very friendly, very responsive, and accommodating. We only had a fish sandwich for a lunch once. We were not impressed with the food quality. So we decided to go to have food from local groceries (Publix), or some local BBQ, pizza places.
I highly recommend the hotel for families.

1 Thank BlueOceanSurf
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I just stayed here for an entire week with my husband and three boys (2,7&9 years old) . We had a one bedroom king suite, with two TV's, a mini fridge and microwave. The main living area had a pullout sofa, where our two oldest slept and the hotel gave us a crib for our youngest, which slept in our room. We even had a pocket door (between the bedroom and living room, which we used to seperate sleeping spaces. The bed was comfy, AC worked great. Everything was nice and clean. My only complaint, and the hotel can't really do anything about it, was the size of the bathroom. It is really small. Oh, and maybe just a couple extra square feet would make it a little roomier. Check-in was awesome, we even got cookies. The hot breakfast buffet came with Scrambled eggs, Sausage, Bacon, Home Fries, French Toast and Mapel Syrup. You also have a variety of cold cereals to choose from, danishes, milk and juices. The wait staff was wonderful, they didn't mind my little one throwing food on the ground. Every time they walked by us they talked to our kids and made sure we were doing great. The pool area was wonderful. That's were my little one and I hung out, while daddy and the two oldest went to the beach. The waves were two rough for me, I wasn't comfortable taking my baby. We ordered in a couple of nights and everything we got was yummy. They also have, what they call a pantry, which has things like ice cream, cookies, candies and microwavable meals. Our two oldest actually wanted Mac-n-cheese two of our nights, which made it cheaper for my husband and I to eat dinner. I really recommend this hotel. Everyone was supper nice and really good to us.

3 Thank Jecka7
Tampa
Reviewed July 9, 2009

Do yourself a favor and go to another hotel in Melbourne or Cocoa....and not the Hilton down the road either. This hotel has the worst restaurant and awful management who do not care if you like your stay or not. They are managed (poorly) by the same person as the Hilton down the road, so there is no management. We voiced our opinion about our issues and problems, but got no response. I am still waiting (5 days later) for the GM, Mark Williams, to call me to no avail......I guess he has better things to do. Do not waste your time or money here,

2 Thank TampaBayD
Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Check-in process was seamless and staff was friendly and helpful. The room/suite was very nice and each suite has their own balcony with a view of the Atlantic which was real cool. Furniture and fixtures appeared to be new as bathroom counter was granite. The suite had 2 TVs. The only downside and this is a biggie is that about 2 am in the morning I was awakened by sounds made people in the next suite over and it sounded like they were in MY room. When you are startled from your sleep and it sounds like they are in YOUR room it freaks you out. If you are lucky enough to be put in a room with no neighbors then you are good to go otherwise I can't recommend.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank wrek92
New Port Richey, FL
Reviewed June 17, 2009

My family of 4 (2 small kids) spent 2 nights at the Doubletree Guest Suites in Melbourne Beach in the beginning of June. Everything about our stay was excellent in every way! The front counter staff are all very friendly and accommodating. Our room was on the 5th floor and aside from the smallish bathroom there was adequate room for the 4 of us. The front living room has a small table with 2 chairs, a pull-out sofa (very comfy according to the kids!), coffee table, and easy chair. A sliding pocket door separates the bedroom from the bathroom and living room. The bedroom was as neat as a pin with sparkling bedding that looked brand-new, fluffy pillows, and crisp sheets. Both living room and bedroom have a television.

The balcony is narrow but does have 2 chairs out there. The view is spectacular! We spent most of our time at the pool and beach. The pool is large and heated; the deck chairs were plentiful and no worries about towel elves; you have to "check out" towels from the front desk with your room number. There is a small hot tub as well. Outdoor restrooms made it convenient to not have to go inside to a cold lobby dripping wet to use the facilities. The poolside bar/grille had decent (for a hotel) prices and the food was excellent (we had everything from seafood chowder and crab cakes to chicken quesadillas and a club sandwich wrap with sweet potato fries!)

There is a raised wooden deck leading to the beach via a small boardwalk. This stretch of beach was largely deserted at this time of year; I did not get the impression that this is a touristy area at all, which was great! If you are looking for tacky beach shops, there are none to be had in this area. This is just a nice beach neighborhood with Publix and Winn Dixie grocery stores, a Walmart, and many restaurants nearby.

We were thrilled with our stay and are going to make this an annual trip when school gets out!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank delaneybrenna
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 22, 2009

We stayed at the Doubletree with our two young children for five nights and had a great time. Our suite was much larger than a standard hotel room, and the convenience of two rooms when traveling with small children should not be discounted. Everything was in good condition, and the room was generally quite clean. The best part of the suite, of course, is the direct ocean view from the bedroom, which looked just like the photo on the hotel website. The sound of the crashing waves put us to sleep every night, and every morning, we enjoyed our coffee on the terrace overlooking the beach.

The hotel common areas are fine, but not world class. The halls are exterior, but that's required due to the setup of "every room is ocean view." The pool area is a little lacking for a hotel this size -- it was hard to find a space in the pool on the weekend. The pool bar/grill was fine for beachside fare, and the servers were very friendly. The hotel's four cats were often lounging in this area, which was a thrill for the kids.

The staff was generally very nice to us. Housekeeping worked around our schedulem which is no easy task with sub-2 year old child who has multiple nap schedules. The housekeepers always chatted with us, and helped with any special requests. The front desk staff was also helpful and friendly.

The beach in front of the hotel was great, and we typically stayed right in front of the hotel. Chairs, etc. are available for rent, though we did not partake. A (very dirty) Wal-Mart is just down the street, and you can buy beach stuff there.

If I have to point to a negative, I think the Doubletree's open and free parking policy has made it a popular hangout for locals who aren't hotel guests. We saw many people walking directly from the parking lot to the pool and beach, and those areas seemed remarkably overcrowded given the number of cars that remained in the lot at night.

All in all, it was a great stay. It's not the Westin Bali, but the Doubletree provides nice, beachfront accomodations at a family friendly price.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank WearyTraveler2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront