“Excellent stay at the beach!” 5 of 5 bubbles

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
New Port Richey, FL
“Excellent stay at the beach!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

My family of 4 (2 small kids) spent 2 nights at the Doubletree Guest Suites in Melbourne Beach in the beginning of June. Everything about our stay was excellent in every way! The front counter staff are all very friendly and accommodating. Our room was on the 5th floor and aside from the smallish bathroom there was adequate room for the 4 of us. The front living room has a small table with 2 chairs, a pull-out sofa (very comfy according to the kids!), coffee table, and easy chair. A sliding pocket door separates the bedroom from the bathroom and living room. The bedroom was as neat as a pin with sparkling bedding that looked brand-new, fluffy pillows, and crisp sheets. Both living room and bedroom have a television.

The balcony is narrow but does have 2 chairs out there. The view is spectacular! We spent most of our time at the pool and beach. The pool is large and heated; the deck chairs were plentiful and no worries about towel elves; you have to "check out" towels from the front desk with your room number. There is a small hot tub as well. Outdoor restrooms made it convenient to not have to go inside to a cold lobby dripping wet to use the facilities. The poolside bar/grille had decent (for a hotel) prices and the food was excellent (we had everything from seafood chowder and crab cakes to chicken quesadillas and a club sandwich wrap with sweet potato fries!)

There is a raised wooden deck leading to the beach via a small boardwalk. This stretch of beach was largely deserted at this time of year; I did not get the impression that this is a touristy area at all, which was great! If you are looking for tacky beach shops, there are none to be had in this area. This is just a nice beach neighborhood with Publix and Winn Dixie grocery stores, a Walmart, and many restaurants nearby.

We were thrilled with our stay and are going to make this an annual trip when school gets out!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank delaneybrenna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2009

We stayed at the Doubletree with our two young children for five nights and had a great time. Our suite was much larger than a standard hotel room, and the convenience of two rooms when traveling with small children should not be discounted. Everything was in good condition, and the room was generally quite clean. The best part of the suite, of course, is the direct ocean view from the bedroom, which looked just like the photo on the hotel website. The sound of the crashing waves put us to sleep every night, and every morning, we enjoyed our coffee on the terrace overlooking the beach.

The hotel common areas are fine, but not world class. The halls are exterior, but that's required due to the setup of "every room is ocean view." The pool area is a little lacking for a hotel this size -- it was hard to find a space in the pool on the weekend. The pool bar/grill was fine for beachside fare, and the servers were very friendly. The hotel's four cats were often lounging in this area, which was a thrill for the kids.

The staff was generally very nice to us. Housekeeping worked around our schedulem which is no easy task with sub-2 year old child who has multiple nap schedules. The housekeepers always chatted with us, and helped with any special requests. The front desk staff was also helpful and friendly.

The beach in front of the hotel was great, and we typically stayed right in front of the hotel. Chairs, etc. are available for rent, though we did not partake. A (very dirty) Wal-Mart is just down the street, and you can buy beach stuff there.

If I have to point to a negative, I think the Doubletree's open and free parking policy has made it a popular hangout for locals who aren't hotel guests. We saw many people walking directly from the parking lot to the pool and beach, and those areas seemed remarkably overcrowded given the number of cars that remained in the lot at night.

All in all, it was a great stay. It's not the Westin Bali, but the Doubletree provides nice, beachfront accomodations at a family friendly price.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank WearyTraveler2005
Titusville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2009

I just booked two days at the Doubletree in Melbourne and let me tell you, it was really wonderful ! There were a few hiccps and I'll tell you about those in a minute. I booked my room through Hotwire.com because my husband and I just wanted to take a mini-vaca and wanted to review Hotwire's service as well. For about 52$ we booked a 3.5 star hotel which turned out to be Doubletree. We were pretty exstatic because all of the rooms face the beach, have a balcony, and all rooms are also 2 room suites. Check in was almost a breeze. The only thing I had a problem with right off is that they told me that since I brought my pet (he's a cat), that I would have to get a room on the first floor. Well this was ridiculous because I DID NOT WANT a room on the first floor, I wanted a view. So I opted to buy my cat a self renewing water bowl and took him home. So we ended up with a room on the 6th floor. We got out chocolate chip cookies and everything went swell from then on. The hotel was beautiful, the lobby was gorgeous, the outside pool/bar area was quite lovely and faced the beach. One thing about the pool tho.. (this is my opinion) the hot tub did not seem hot enough so I wasn't taking any chances with that one. The room was beautiful and clean. The beds were extremely comfortable. The sitting room was not bad. Although they don't have "wireless" internet in the rooms, but they do have high speed internet, you just have to plug your laptop up which means you can't go out on your balcony and check your email which was a tad annoying. The mini-fridge was clean but not really cool enough to keep cold things cold. It was lukewarm at best. I ended up bringing a styraphome cooler and that worked just fine. The microwave could have used a better scrubbing but I didn't have to mircowave anything so that was alright too. The view was absolutely gorgeous, and you could wake up to hear the waves crashing every morning. That was worth all of the minor hiccups.

Of course, I have heard horror stories about the bathroom being too small and all that. It's really not that bad, (eventhough it is a little small) and I am putting some pictures of my room up. Now mind you, most of the pics I am posting was after I had already been in the room for a bit so everything in the room is not as it was when I arrived.. (my camera was not charged when I got there) also.. they are pics from my iPhone so they are not as clear as I would want, so just keep that in mind when looking at the pics !

Overall, everything was fine. It was a great room and for the price it could not be beat. I would definitely stay there again and am planning on it. I wish I was back there right now so I could hear the waves. The staff was efficient but not overly helpful although they did answer all questions that we had.

One note about the maid service, if you do not want someone knocking on your door at the break of dawn and then entering your room while you are still trying to figure out whats going on.. make sure you use the "do not disturb" sign because they will just walk right in.

Just one more thing. Don't bother with the room service and getting food from the hotel. What I saw didn't look too appetizing anyway, plus it is wayyy over priced. You are better off ordering out. Now if you are not familiar with the Melbourne area or just don't feel like driving go to http://www.coastfood.com/ and they will go and get you food for a small fee and you'll end up paying less than room service and getting better food ! Do invest in a tin of Doubletree's chocolate chip cookies tho, they are marvelous !

Ps - Local calls are not free, they charge you .75 for every one which is totally ridiculous !

Alright - Last thing.. (it rained the whole time I was there so you won't find any sunshiney pics, but I prefer rain anyway)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MindyMelena
Ft Lauderdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2009

What a lovely place. This hotel/room was delightful.The kids love to have their own space and so do we. Very clean and well designed rooms seemed like brand new. The sun comes up right outside your window and the sound of the waves and smell of the sea convinced us to make this place a Mother's Day tradition. The food was good -I recommend the conch fritters. The in room coffee comes complete with "to go" cups and lids! Nothing better than to bring your coffee to the beach and then even better yet, the waitress comes to the beach to take your lunch order.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Mom136
Winter Haven, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

After reading the reviews, I was hesitant, but the value for a "suite" was too good to pass up. We have an 18 mo old and we prefer to book hotel rooms with two rooms so my husband and I don't have to go to bed at 8pm! This hotel fit the bill for us.

Location was great - right on the water and easy to find. Check-in process was painless and the room was even ready a little early. The room was fine. It was a little small but the space was clean and comfortable. The toilet/shower area was pretty small (as previous reviews have said) but nothing uncomfortable about it. The balcony was key. We were on the 2nd floor and had a great view. Bed was good. Ordered breakfast to be delivered at 8 (it arrived at 8:02!) and no complaints there either. The beach access was very close and worked out great.

There are things that could be improved - the shower could be updated, the overall feel of the hotel is a little "motel-y" if that makes sense because of the outside entrance to the rooms, but all-in-all, we had a really nice experience and would definitely come back.

2 Thank lal314
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2009

LOCATION:
This relatively small hotel is on a great, quiet stretch of beach 17 miles south of cocoa beach. All rooms are beachfront. The beach is largely unspoilt and tranquil.
SERVICE/ACCOMODATION:
Check in was swift and courteous, as was every other interation that I experienced with the staff. The rooms are all beachfront with a great view from a small private balcony. The rooms are arranged in a one bedroom suite layout, with a living area, seperate bedroom and bathroom in the middle. Decor is bright, airy and comfortable, if not quite what you would call luxurious.
FACILITIES:
This is a relatively small hotel. It has a decent enough restaurant, fitness centre, pool and pool bar for snacks. Nothing fancy but easily of an above average standard for this grade of property.
OVERALL IMPRESSION:
Once again, I had a great stay at the Doubletree Melbourne beach. This is not a 5 star mega resort. It doesn't pretend to be, and much of its appeal would be lost if it were. This hotel is great value. Where else in Florida can you stay in an oceanview suite for the low $100's per night?? It would sem that some who have left less savoury reviews are expecting a 5 star resort for 3 star prices! The only negatives I could find was an occasional garbage type smell around the elevators on our floor. I couldn't identify the source but it persisted for the duration of our stay. Also, there is free wifi in the lobby but not in the rooms themselves. Once again, there is really no excuse not to provide this when all the budget brands are doing it for free.

This is a great little hotel. Go with realistic expectations and the chances are they will be exceeded

1 Thank Quagm1re
Atlanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2009

My husband is a Diamond member with Hilton Properties. We always use his Hilton reward points to stay at a beach front Hilton for Spring Break. 3 of the 7 nights we were without WATER. For some odd reason the water pump for the 9th floor conveniently stopped working as soon as someone got all soaped up in the shower. The management only wanted to apologize not take any action. My husband had to call the Hilton Rewards Diamond desk to complain and we were given 75,000 points back. The breakfast was awful and the wait staff was incredibly concerned with breakfast vouchers. We had 4 people in our room so we ALWAYS get 4 breakfast vouchers per day. We were given 2 breakfast vouchers per day. When I tried to take a tray of food upstairs they have a total fit. I have never been treated this poorly in any other Hilton Property in the United States.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jaykog
tferrara1, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 28, 2009
I would like to once again apologize for the inconvenience that you and your family experienced during your stay the first week April. Over that weekend we developed inconsistent water pressure to the 9th floor (a mal-functioning pump), there was no replacement available locally and we were forced to over-night a replacement from the manufacturer, which resulted in the unavoidable delay in the repair. Water pressure was immediately restored upon receipt of the pump. We also immediately initiated service recovery procedures for all guests affected with the inconsistent hot water pressure. We did offer to move all guests to a lower floor that did have water pressure and we did provide an additional guest room for shower use for those guests that declined to move during the course of the problem. We also refunded 3 nights of your stay along with pet fees. I regret that you feel that our actions were not responsive, however I believe that we reacted appropriately with regard to this situation. Again, my apologies for any inconvenience experienced during your stay.

Tony Ferrara
Doubletree Guest Suites, Melbourne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront