We stayed one night at the Doubletree Guest Suites to watch the Space Shuttle Launch (which was amazing!). Long time Hilton Honors member and am used to the Doubletree properties being a step above but this location needs some work. The first issue we encountered, which was NOT the fault of the hotel, was the infestation of the Lovebugs. There were thousands of them everywhere! In the lobby, smashed on the floors, smashed on the walls, by the elevators...don't even think about going out by the pool or enjoying a cocktail outside. We had reserved an oceanview room with balcony and couldn't even open our door to the balcony because there were hundreds of bugs out there (we were on the 5th floor). This hotel has outside room entrances and whenever we wanted to leave our room, it was a mad dash out the door, into the lobby (and more bugs) then a mad dash out to our car. Also ran out the lobby, down the stairs and to the beach where the bugs weren't so bad...at least we got a bit of fresh ocean air.
Since we couldn't spend any time outside, we decided to go online with the laptop and get a little work done. This hotel does not have wireless in the rooms, not even for a fee, which is amazing to me in this day and age. I plugged my laptop into the ethernet cable and no connection. The instructions in the room give a tech support number to call so I did that. After spending 15 minutes on the phone with a technician, he determined that the cable must be bad. I ran down (thru the bugs) to the front desk in hopes of picking up a new ethernet cable. No such luck. I was informed that maintenance would try to find another one but no promises. About 40 minutes later we were given a new cable but this one didn't work either. So no internet at all except in the business center in the lobby where wireless was available but I paid for a room and would rather be in it, possibly having a cocktail and watching a little TV while I work, than in a business center.
The room itself was a nice size suite with 2 double beds and 2 flat screen TVs, smallish bathroom. I realize that hotels on the beach face their own set of upkeep problems due to the wind, sand and water. But we also had 2 lightbulbs burned out in the room (one at the makeup mirror so only one side lit up) and when I tried to call the front desk for a wake up call, the phone didn't work. I ended up calling the front desk from my cell phone! I had to set the alarm on my cell phone so we wouldn't miss the shuttle launch. These are problems that aren't a result of wind, sand and water but poor housekeeping and management.
On a positive note, Ryan at the front desk was a jewel. Lots of information on the Launch, nearby locations to grab a bite to eat and just a pleasant personality. He was without a doubt the best thing about this location. We had spent 2 nights before and after our stay on the coast at a Hampton Inn in Orlando and for less money, it was a much superior property. Could not wait to get back to it after staying at this Doubletree.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront boasts a resort-style setting overlooking white sand of the Atlantic Ocean. Our Melbourne Beach hotel is conveniently located near Cocoa Beach and Space Coast attractions, with nearby family attractions such as Disney World and other Orlando theme parks for day trips. Our all-suite Melbourne, FL hotel is only 10 minutes from Melbourne International Airport (MLB), or an hour east of Orlando International (MCO). The DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront features direct oceanfront suites, perfect for business or leisure visitors alike. Guests can enjoy magnificent views from private balconies, and a range of must-have amenities including luxurious beds and bath amenities, and access to our 24-Hour Fitness Center and Business Center. Whether you are traveling on business, planning a family vacation, or having a romantic weekend getaway, our friendly, professional staff looks forward to welcoming you to Florida's Space Coast with our special, warm chocolate chip cookie at check-in. We hope you choose the DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront hotel! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Kognitiv US Corp, Priceline, Agoda, Hotel.de, Reservation Counter, HRS and Despegar.com so you can book your DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree Guest Suites Melbourne Beach Oceanfront Hotel Melbourne
- Doubletree Hotel Melbourne Beach Oceanfront