“What a great hotel”

Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersBronze level
Texas wishing i was on the beach
“What a great hotel”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

When I was driving to the hotel I was concerned as Melbourne is a really sleepy beach town this time of year. Once I got there and got inside I was pleaseantly surprise. The inviting lobby and the marvelous room with the ocean front view was awesome. The friendly staff at the front desk was welcoming after a full day of travel. My room in the south tower was very modern with a flat panel TV and a king bed. In addition I had a fridge and a balcony with 2 chairs. The view was spectacular - the ocean was wonderful to look at every morning before my meeting and after in the evening! We had a group event on one of the days I was there and I can only praise the staff for a great job they did. The food was absolutely fabulous! Overall everyone had a great time!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank bkstar00

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Philadelphia
Reviewed September 24, 2009

-We greatly enjoyed our stay at the Hilton. Stephanie at the front desk was very accommodating to any needs.
-The rooms are spacious. We had an Oceanfront King. The breeze waved into the room and made it feel like vacation. Falling asleep to the waves every night was perfect.
-Any request that we made was promptly done.
-My few complaints are: the South tower has bigger balconies and there are no microwaves in the rooms.
-Will recommend to others and definitely come back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wishanddream
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 5, 2009

You can't find fault with the Hilton's location--beautiful white sand beach right on your doorstep. The hotel, however, is lackluster. The rooms were tired and a bit dingy, and the hallways appeared to be vacuumed about once every couple of weeks. If we had paid full price off of the Hilton website, I would have been disappointed/angry. Instead, we booked through a hotel consolidator and got a much cheaper price, and so I can't really complain. If you can get a decent price on a room here, then it's worth a look. Additionally, the hotel staff were great--very friendly and helpful.

1 Thank Islington185
markwilliams2, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, October 28, 2009
Thank you so much for your response. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Although we strive for perfection, we are not always perfect. I hope that your experience with our friendly and helpful staff will encourage you to try us again. We value your feedback and always use it to improve the experiences we provide.

Hope to see you back again soon.
Louisville
Reviewed August 30, 2009

I wasn't expecting much from the reviews I had read. I went ahead and booked a room anyway due to the beach being so close. When we got there it was fantastic. nice big clean room, excellent view, Liz at the front desk was so nice and accommodating. We were going to stay 5 nights but liked it so much we stayed another. The only issue we had was the restaurant. We went there for dinner and there were only 2 other couples in there, so I thought we would be taken care of. The manager sat us after about 5 minutes of waiting at the desk, then I think the busboy actually took our drink order. The manager brought us our drinks and it took what seemed to be a half hour to get our food, again brought to us by the manager. We didn't see our waiter until we were almost done and he ask how our meal was. (which was excellent). We are going to do it again nest year. Also, I would recommend staying at the south tower at a upper level room closest to the ocean.

2 Thank dc8Louisville
Orlando
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I booked through hotwire and to my surprise we received an oceanfront room. I was so excited! Beautiful view! The room was great, the AC wasn't loud, the bathroom counter was large, had free high speed internet (remember to bring your cord), and cable tv (not direct tv). The pool was great and their was enough room to get a lounge chair with plenty leftover, lots of space to walk around. The hot tub was large enough for 5 people comfortably. The pool towels were really large as well, great benefit. Only compliant is their was no refridge in our room, so we had to keep on refilling our cooler with ice. Other than that, I would highly recommend and I would love to return.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 15, 2009

I checked into this Hilton property last night (1 night reservation). It was pretty late when we arrived (midnight) and after staying in the room for awhile, the room would not cool down; apparently the A/C was broken. I didn't want to change rooms because of the late hour, but finally I had to (almost 90 degrees in the room). Somewhat frusterated, I called the front desk at 1am and they immediately moved us to a vacant room a few doors down; which was real convenient. They had the security guard bring us new keys, so we didn't even have to go down to the lobby.

At check-out time, Liz at the front desk asked how my stay was and I politely replied, "oh, you don't want to know, but it's ok...". She insisted that I explain, so I did.

What caught me by surprise is that she didn't charge me for the room - something I still felt obligated to do. After all, the second room was great and it was myself who arrived late.

I started thinking... that's real customer service - something I haven't seen in awhile. If she didn't honestly want to know about my stay, I would have never told her, and I would have simply gone about my day. I would have also probably never stayed at that Hilton again.

But, since she did want to make things right and was legitimately concerned about my stay, I WILL ABSOLUTELY STAY at the Hilton again when I return to Melbourne. Thank you Liz!!!

As for the other things - great clean rooms, great view of the ocean, friendly staff, breakfast buffet (with eggs-to-order), nice pool, etc. See video below.

1 Thank BeachE100
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Just got back from staying 14 nights at this Hilton Hotel. As others have said it's not probably quite up to the normal standards of Hilton Hotels but generally the room was good and the hotel amenities are all you'd need.

I had asked for a room in the new block with a good sea view, I got a room in the new block as requested but my view was largely of the car park although I did still have a fairly nice view of the sea, just on an angle. You need to request a room on a high floor as the lower floors have their view obscured by air conditioning plant/roof etc.

The room was clean and fairly modern, large bathroom and nice shower/tub. We had a refrigerator for the whole stay without charge (already in our room when we arrived). However, the maid service was very poor. Only once was our room made up in the morning. Mostly it was made up around 4.30-5.00pm - far too late when you've had a hot day sightseeing or by the pool and want to come in for a shower and to relax in your room. One day our room wasn't made up until nearly 6.00pm! Also with 2 adults and 1 teenager I had requested extra bath towels, nearly every day the correct towels were not left and we had to locate a maid to give us more. The loo roll wasn't replaced regularly either, I had to ring reception one day and they took an hour to deliver one! Similar with the coffee machine items, often coffee/milk etc wasn't replaced. Just not the service you'd expect from this sort of hotel.

The pool area is quite nice. The pool isn't massive but large enough for generally having a dip. There isn't a shallow end though so not suitable for very young children possibly. The water was lovely and warm every day. There's not a massive amount of sun loungers but we managed to get one every day although there's only a handful of umbrella's so you may have to sit in the full sun. The tiki bar was ok but no atmosphere and often wasn't open, even if the pool area seemed quite busy and always shut dead at 5.00pm however busy the pool was. Nice small deck area to sunbathe on and the beach is lovely (though $20 for two loungers and umbrella). Hot tub ok but water far too hot to be able to use comfortably. Gym area small but adequate.

The hotel bar was dead most nights. Only time it was full was when there was a wedding (of which there are several every weekend). On a Wednesday there is a Hilton Honors happy hour with snacks and free drinks from 6.00-7.00pm. Breakfast buffet was nice and waiters friendly and efficient (Betty Rae very nice lady) though it can get very busy at the weekend and one time we were moved out of the restaurant to accommodate a wedding. Did not use the restaurant at night but didn't seem busy and plenty of nice places to eat within easy reach of the hotel.

There is free wireless internet in the reception area. I couldn't pick it up in my room. The wired internet in the room is free but extremely slow and I mean SLOW. Only one computer/printer for use in the business area.

On the last day my husband had his t-shirt stolen which he'd left on a sun-lounger by the pool whilst we took a walk down to the sea. The reaction of the receptionist when we reported it was indifferent. We didn't really expect a full scale stop and search of all guests obviously but some concern would have been appreciated. It just about summed the hotel up really, it has the makings of being something good but the staff and that certain 'something' seem to be missing.

If you're planning a short stay I'm sure you won't be disappointed, it's a lovely location and wonderful beach just don't expect to be pampered.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Radisson Suite Hotel Oceanfront
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place
Port d'Hiver
Port d'Hiver
#1 of 13 in Melbourne Beach

Been to Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!