“Loved it - wonderful location”

Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersBronze level
Southington, CT
“Loved it - wonderful location”
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We stayed at this hotel twice during our trip to Orlando/Space Coast. Granted, it's a bit of a drive to Kennedy Space Center. But you're on the beach. And your room likely overlooks the beach, too.

The north tower rooms looking north up the coast have balconies with chairs where you can sit on your balcony.

I'm sure there was a fitness room, but I didn't care - I could walk on the beach.

The staff was friendly and helped us with a snag we'd hit using our Hilton Honors points. They also helped us seek out points of interest and restaurants.

The hotel food was tasty, although they were re-tarring the roof while we were there. I liked the breakfast buffet and the breakfast selections. Other dining options are an easy drive. WalMart is nearby, just down the street, for re-supplying.

The pool area overlooks the ocean and has a pool bar. It's in a courtyard between the towers.

FWIW, for space buffs -- we spotted the Kennedy Space Center Vehicle Assembly Building off in the distance from our north tower balcony room.

The business center (computer nook where you can download boarding passes) was small. Other guests had problems with the printer, but the staff was baffled about how to fix it. My husband is a computer buff and was able to get things going again. Still, until then, the desk offered to print our boarding passes with their computer behind the registration desk. Again, the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ShowHorseFan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 5, 2009

Our oceanfront room was small (2 doubles), the bathroom was dirty and balcony was 2 -3 feet wide with no space for sitting. Decor was very outdated, upholstery stained, carpet very worn and dirty. Views were great. Staff was courteous. Although we really wanted an oceanfront vacation, we could not stand the room. We switched to the Hilton Rialto and were very pleased.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank GeorgiaAugusta
markwilliams2, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 8, 2009
Dear GeorgiaAugusta,

Thank you very much for your feedback concerning your recent stay at the Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront. I want to personally apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. Based on your response, it looks like you were traveling with your teenagers and entire family. We do offer a few larger rooms (Junior Suites) that can accommodate a large family very comfortably. As far as the room being dirty, worn, and stained, I must apologize, and be sure that we will rectify this as soon as possible. Our hotel was renovated in 2006, so it sounds as if we had a housekeeping issue. I hope that you contacted our MOD during your stay to allow us an opportunity to make it right. If not, please be sure to contact me directly upon visiting Melbourne again, and I will be sure to address it directly. We value your business and hope that you would retrun and give us another opportunity to show you what we can really do.
Connecticut
Reviewed March 26, 2009

My husband and I check-in late evening and we were very impressed with the friendly staff! After getting to our room, we found that our room key wasn't working and the woman from the front desk came up, reprogrammed our key, and went out of her way to make sure we were all set.
The room was very clean and every room has an ocean view. We had a front view and the balcony was so small that you couldn't even fit chairs. However, I noticed the rooms with the side view had a wider balcony with a table and set of chairs. Knowing this, I would have asked for a side room. The bathroom was modern and very clean with a vanity area outside to make coffee. All in all, a very nice place to stay!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rxgirl96
Toronto
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Love Florida and Hilton Hotels - I admit it they are to me the place to stay. I know that their are many higher end places to stay but for me this is the cream of the crop for my travel dollar.

So this place reopened a couple of years back due to storm damage so everything is very new and well kept - The staff are for the most part very friendly and helpful but seem to need direction on customer service skills. This would be most helpful and a welcomed improvement. (see example below)

Seems to be many people walking around with clip boards looking around observing writing things down sometimes in groups of two or three... The staff seem to be on their own making it all up has they go along with no clear command and control here at all. Take the specials at the pool side bar - not clear which days and what products are on special - memo people read the memo - oh sorry you would first need some management here to write a memo. That's it that is what is missing is management! There is no managment at this hotel - beyond the clip board folks who spent the hours writing little notes no one reads. This hotel is in desperate need of a management team or may I say a leadership team. If your into studying management take a look at this place - great staff trying to do the best they can without any leadership - amazing!

Overall I would avoid this place for a couple of years until they get their act together. I would also suggest you get a picture of the view from the actual room you are staying in - seems some ocean front rooms look at roof tops - trust me (south tower - south view) when you pull the drape back it can cause get discomfort.

Example: the afternoon we arrived the room was not available because of a flood. Fair these thing happen however I get concerned when I have to ask questions about the flood - what was it? Is it harmful? etc... Turns out some pipe broke in the cooling system and water dripped down from above... No other rooms were available and they told me everything was 100% - before I opened the door I could hear a big fan blowing in the room to dry the still wet floor - great! I call they tell me someone will come pick it up (never happened), so I asked when will the floor be dry and no reply. Oh to top things off no air conditioning. so lets add this up - no air, wet carpet, big fan a blowing, delay in getting room, no other rooms available - I'm thinking big apology and some heavy compensation (break on the room - couple of free deserts) - hell no they want to negotiate ( I am on vacation people). Took the room discount but felt ripped off - I was looking for a classy ocean front room not a discounted room with a [--] view and a soggy carpet.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
markwilliams2, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, March 31, 2009
Dear Travelguy,

Thank you very much for your constructive comments. You were correct in assessing that we are in the midst of launching a number of new initiatives in the hotel, and I am sorry to say that you felt as though they were unorganized. I certainly apologize for any negative perception we left with you while we push forward with new ideas. I can assure you that we have made every effort to ensure the communication between our management and staff is clear and is focused on providing the best experience we can. I hope that this does not deter you from trying us again in the near future.
Halifax, England
Reviewed January 16, 2009

After flying from the UK into Orlando late afternoon we were looking for a oceanfront overnight stop on our way down to Ft Lauderdale. And we found the perfect place. Our arrival and check-in at the Hilton at Melbourne Beach was handled speedily, efficiently and with courtesy. The receptionist actually trollied our bags to the eighth-floor room from which we enjoyed magnificent views over the ocean.
Our enjoyable experience continued at the bar and in the restaurant where the service was quick and friendly.
Our room was compact but spotlessly clean, and on checking-out the following morning, we were sad that our stay was only for one night.
I would not hesitate to recommend this Hilton to anyone for a one-nighter or for a longer stay, and I thank all the staff who made our brief stop such a pleasant experience.

• Liked — Location and friendly service.
  • Disliked — Leaving.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NEALBOURNE
Massachusetts
Reviewed January 5, 2009

My sister and I came here to spend time with our Dad with whom we have not seen in a few years.

Before booking the hotel reservations, I researched several hotels and came across the Hilton on Melbourne Beach. I was a little taken back by the 3 star rating but figured I would give it a shot.
Not only is it located 5 miles away from my Dad's house, but it is centrally located to all shopping areas.
The staff at this hotel were curtious, friendly and always willing to assist in anyway they could to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
The hotel appearance was impeccable, clean and inviting. Everything was perfect! We were very surprised to see that it was only rated 3 stars. In my opinion, it is a 5+ star rating.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — I couldn't stay longer!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank cmptrsally
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 8, 2008

Stayed here Thanksgiving night after visiting relatives in the area. Ocean Front room was very nice and large, but no balcony though. Patio door opens to a small cement area, no room for chairs or relaxing while you look at the ocean. It appeared that the Ocean front rooms overlook the ocean and pool area, while the Ocean view rooms face North and overlook the pool with the beach to the side, but they do have a balcony with chairs. The room was very clean and all staff we talked to were very nice. Food at the restaurant was pretty good, nice breakfast buffet. We had a great stay!!

• Liked — Nice comfortable Hilton bed!!
  • Disliked — small non-existent balcony
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Radisson Suite Hotel Oceanfront
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront
Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
Port d'Hiver
Port d'Hiver
#1 of 13 in Melbourne Beach

Been to Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!