“Nice, but needs a little TLC”

Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This hotel is in a great location on the beach, the food is very good and the management friendly and patient. They have a shuttle service who took us downtown to the Melbourne Arts Festival--we tipped our driver well as we REALLY appreciated this service! I have the impression that management is beginning to go slightly downhill however, as there was some deferred maintenance noticed from this stay vs. the first stay here six years prior. There were old, brown stains on the white duvet cover (gross!), and the lamp shade by the bed was cracked. The bed itself felt like there were no springs left and wobbled horribly any time my husband or I would turn over. There was a little mold in the shower. Still, we had a great time, and I had rented three rooms for my friends too. All had a view of the ocean and the A/C worked great and no real problems were reported. Overall it was clean and friendly and such a great location.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank FRANKIIEAVALONW
MargaretMaryKehoe, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Frankiieavalonw,

Thank you so much for your reveiw of our property. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the wonderful Melbourne Art Festival. It's a great event. I'm sorry that the linens in your room and the shower were not as clean as they should have been. I have spoken to our executive housekeeper and our chief engineer so that the items in your room can be repaired and replaced. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with great service and accommodations the next time you're in Melbourne.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,756)

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was my second trip to this hotel in 12 months. Front desk staff was excellent, they were working on the outside of my hotel suite terrace (chipping off cement with a hammer) and I awoke to what sounded like a woodpecker with a sledgehammer. I spoke to the desk and they immediately moved me and went beyond with great customer service. I was in town for my son testing out as at Patrick AFB for a Air Force CRO so I spent time down at the outside bar. The bartender "Christine" was excellent, great rapport, great service and great conversation about everything and anything. She remembered my wife and I by name each day and even congratulated my son when he returned from the test by engaging in conversation with him about the Air Force. The only spoiler was that each afternoon it would start to rain and since they have a bar inside that usually does not open until 5pm, the Hotel Manager would close the outside bar and not reopen the rest of the day which then forced everyone outside to go inside if they wanted a drink. Hotel Manager: we are at the beach, next to a pool and and we expect wet for cripes sake! Other than that it is a great place to stay and would do it again and again and again.

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice with an ocean view, corner suites are large and have a great view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank lance s

Dear Lance S,

Thank you for the review of our property. I'm so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Congratulations to your son on his accomplishments in the Air Force. We are so grateful to him for his service and your family for their sacrifice.

I'm glad that Christine helped make your stay more enjoyable. I will be sure to pass your kind words onto her manager. I'm sorry that the outside bar was closed due to the weather. I will pass your suggestions on to our Food & Beverage Director. We look forward to your return the next time you visit Melbourne.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for three nights and were very pleased with our experience. We had a room on the seventh floor of the newer South Tower that had a nice balcony overlooking the ocean. We had a wonderful time walking the beach, watching the surfers, the pelicans, we just loved it here. The hotel itself is older, built in the 70"s, the South wing is an add-on from 7-8 years ago or so. The decor was nice, the hotel layout was nice and easy to navigate, the parking was plentiful, and there was even 10-12 covered spaces to park. The elevators were quick, the staff was very helpful and friendly. This is just a real good hotel, it represents the Hilton brand name very well.

Room Tip: South tower has larger balconies and is newer. The north tower rooms do not have space for chairs f...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank SecondComing

Dear Second Coming,

Thank you for your review of our property. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to hosting you the next time your travels bring you to Melbourne.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Beachfront Hilton Hotel was below my expectation. The housekeeper didn't leave enough shampoo and conditioners even when I ran out. The staff was not that friendly. And most disappointing incidence that one of the staff didn't let me park my car in the hotel parking lot and asked me to go park somewhere else when the hotel had some kind of activity. This hotel doesn't provide the quality of the name of Hilton.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
MargaretMaryKehoe, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Lydia P,

Thank you so much for your review of our property. I'm so sorry that your stay with us was not what you expected or hoped for. I'm so sorry that the amenities in your bathroom were not replenished. We have a new Executive Housekeeper and I have already spoken to him about this and he has assured me that this will not happen again.

I'm sorry that our staff was unkind to you. That is not acceptable and I have spoken to all our department heads and reminded them that our associates should be polite, courteous, helpful and welcoming at all times to all of our guests.

I'm sorry that you were given misdirection when you tried to park at the hotel. Our team members were directed to have our in house guests park in one area of the parking lot and our event guests park in another area. Please be assured this won't happen again.

Thank you again for giving us your comments about your stay. It's through the comments of our guests that we can work to become better and give our guests a perfect stay. I do hope that the next time your travels bring you to Melbourne that you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

This was my third stay ot this hotel in 12 months and I always hope that they will iron out the little niggles that disappoint. It is a great property in an enviable location, with wonderful staff so I am saddened to report the negatives, which prove irksome. This stay ended up being for 10 days
1. Room 2515 There were bugs in the shower - some sort of larvae - the insects that I assume were responsible were also evident. I reported to reception and they sent an operative the same day to spray. After 2-3 days, it was evident that the spray had not been successful and I reported again. I assume that the shower was sprayed again, but the wrigglers reappeared after several days.
2. The bedding was not changed for 5 days at the start of our stay. My understanding is that Hilton change bedding after 3 days unless requested otherwise. I complained at reception and was given 2 $30 dinner vouchers ( more of this later).
3. Hilton Honours Tuesday drinks and canapes reception. My husband and I have alway enjoyed this treat on our previous stays. On this occasion, we sat at a low table tucked away in the corner near the bar. Apart from 2 times, the waiter started serving the canapes at the opposite end of the room and had invariably emptied his tray before getting to our table. We always have New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc as our cocktail hour drink, but by the time we ordered the 2nd drink, the Sauvignon Blanc had run out.
4. We decide to use our free dinner vouchers the following day and tried to order a bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc . Guess what - still none in stock over 24 hours later. My husband complained at reception and the desk clerk said she would email the General Manager- no response to date. The food in the restaurant was average. I would have been very disappointed if I had paid full price.
5. The following night (Thursday), We had booked to go to a restaurant downtown and get a good meal and a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. When I tried to book the shuttle bus at reception, I was told that the shuttle was not available as there was no driver.
We were scheduled to stay for 14 nights, but we checked out the next day. When my husband reviewd the bill the following day, there was a room service charge that we disputed. He called the hotel and we are still awaiting a call back after 6 days.
Next time we will stay at the Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Racoon12345

Dear Racoon 12345,

Thank you so much for your review of our property and your continued loyalty in choosing to stay with us when you travel to Melbourne. I am so sorry about the issues you encountered during your most recent stay with us. Bugs in your shower and linens that were not changed is unacceptable and inexcusable. I have spoken to both our Executive Housekeeper and our Chief Engineer and they have assured me that these two issues have been resolved.

I have also spoken to our Director of Sales & Marketing who hosts our weekly Honors Reception and he has told me that the waitstaff will change their starting location of service each time they bring a new tray. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. Sometimes we don't see everything that is happening and it's through the feedback of our loyal guests that we can make changes and improvements.

Our Food & Beverage Director has made changes to the ordering procedure. We also discussed the room service charge on your bill. That has been addressed. I'm so sorry that neither our Food & Beverage or our Accounting Departments returned your call.

I do hope the next time you travel to this side of the pond that you will give us an opportunity to provide you with the great service we're known for. It is our pleasure to have such loyal guests as yourselves return and stay with us. Please contact me directly and I will be happy to make a reservation for you and ensure that everything is perfect.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

The hotel was very nice had great amenities like pool, hot tub, outside bar, and beach rentals. I'm allergic to down and they met my request of having alternative bedding without asking when I arrived, alot hotels will tell you may note it but we may not be able to accommodate that request and you don't find out til you get there. The hotel was clean, great location, and I had an ocean view so it was lovely to keep the slider open hearing the ocean.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
7  Thank Andrea L

Dear Andrea L,

Thank you for your review of our property. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to hosting you again the next time your travels bring you to Melbourne.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have family in the area and usually stay at the Crowne Plaza. We tried the Hilton this time and thought readers might like a comparison of the two. The view from a Hilton 9th floor ocean front junior suite was great. The view from the wrap around balcony of a Crowne Plaza corner suite is even better. The balcony at the Hilton was just a step-out balcony with no room for chairs. The ocean view rooms appeared to have full balconies. We really liked room decor at the Hilton. It was tasteful, bright and modern. The Crowne Plaza suites are not as nicely decorated and the floor plan is not as good. The lobby and common areas at the Hilton were also nicer and brighter than the Crowne Plaza. The outside pool/bar area at the Crowne Plaza is great because you can sit with a fantastic view of the beach. The outdoor area at the Hilton does not offer the same views or ambiance. The staff was attentive in both hotels although the Crowne Plaza staff seemed a little warmer to the guests. We would be happy to stay in either hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2013
6  Thank CumberlandIsland

Dear Cumberland Island,

Thank you for your review of our property. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us while you visited with your family. I will be sure to pass your kind words about our staff onto the management team. We look forward to hosting you again the next time you're in town to visit your family.

Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Radisson Suite Hotel Oceanfront
Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront
Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
Port d'Hiver
Port d'Hiver
#1 of 13 in Melbourne Beach

Been to Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!