“Scary”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Scary”
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I am still in the lobby but want to leave as soon as possible but I'll start with the good. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and the rooms have lovely beach views.

The bad:
- the hotel looks pretty run down. It was probably nice 5 or 10 years ago, but needs a bit of updating
- when we went to the restaurant, we were the only people who were sitting there at first, then 2 more tables came and they got their food about 15 minutes before us (after we were waiting for about a half hour)
- there were crazy noises in the bathroom in the night and evening, like banging or high pressure water spraying
- THE WORST part was that when I got out of the shower in the morning, there was a message on the mirror saying 'I'm Watching'. This was on the second day -- I didn't notice on the first day, and I thought there was someone in my room (see photo)
- oh, and some of my towels were stained AND the cleaning staff did not fold my towels in the bathroom or replace any toiletries that I used

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank 11-robbyinnyc-11
Markhotel, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Dear 11-robbyinnyc-11,

First of all, I want to thank you for staying with us and providing feedback on your stay. The only way that we as hoteliers can improve our service and product is through feedback from our guests - both positive and negative. As we make it our goal to provide a great experience for our guests, we take every guest issue to heart - and I can tell you in your case, this is a very hot topic of discussion with our management staff. I must sincerely apologize for what I would characterize as a stay certainly not indicative of what our hotel is known for - great service. We absolutely did not meet our goal of providing a great experience, and for that, I again apologize. Based on your specific comments, I can tell you that I would agree that the room that you stayed in does need some updating - but I am excited to let you know that we will be upgrading our rooms starting in November of this year!!! As far as the noise in the walls with the water and the pipes, at times, air can get into the pipes during low occupancy periods and cause what we call "hammering", but we have not had any issues with this recently. I have brought this to the attention of our Chief Engineer as it can be remedied very easily. I have also discussed the towel issue that you mentioned with our Housekeeping Manager to ensure that she takes this incident as a training opportunity to ensure that the Room Attendants pay more attention to detail in the linen that they place in the rooms. No excuse at all for stained linens - as they can be exchanged (and should be if they inspect them closely) prior to placing them in the rooms. This lack of attention to detail is exactly what led to the mirror message. Part of their checklist is to clean each mirror daily - and obviously this was not done - nor was it caught by the inspector. This is completely unacceptable, and I can assure you that this has been addressed with the entire housekeeping staff to ensure that it does not happen again.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the lack of attention to detail during your stay, but I will also tell you that this is certainly not the norm here at our property. I would like to invite you back to try us again to really show you what our hotel can provide as far as service is concerned.

Area General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I stayed at this hotel during a week-long business trip to Melbourne. I had an oceanfront room on the 11th floor of the north tower. The hotel location is fantastic -- right on the beach. But the rooms, facilities and cleanliness weren't at all what I'd expect at a Hilton. It was more like a Holiday Inn or a Marriott Residence Inn. It was nice, but definitely not luxurious.

The rooms had clean bed linens, and the A/C worked well. There was a flat-screen TV, but digital cable and movie services were "unavailable" several days I was there. A dingy sofa was oddly positioned, blocking the windows and balcony. My room had no refrigerator, microwave, safe or alarm clock. It didn't get cleaned one day, even though I removed the do not disturb sign early in the morning. The room did get cleaned the following day.

My biggest disappointments were with the fitness center and the WiFi. The fitness center faces the ocean and pool/bar area, which is cool, except it was about 80 degrees and incredibly humid in there. The room had a fetid, sour smell. It also appears the machines don't receive regular servicing. The ellipticals had nasty, rusty gunk all along the rails.

The WiFi, at least in my room, was horrible. I'd connect to hhonors, but then lose the connection every 10-20 seconds. I tried moving around the room to find a consistent signal, but no luck. So much for working from the room or using an iPad.

That said, I was impressed with the front desk when I called about a giant bug that had flown into my room. They dispatched someone immediately to catch and release the critter.

Room Tip: Perhaps the south tower rooms are nicer?
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Markhotel, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Dear jwt85,

I would like to first thank you for your comments regading your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate all comments, both positive and negative, as we strive to create a great exepreince for all of our guests. I would like to address some of the issues you brought up during your stay to ensure you and those that read the comments can feel comfortable in the services we provide. You are correct in stating we do not have fridges, safes, or microwaves in our guestrooms in our North Tower. But, that is about to change. We are adding all three come this November 2011, and we are replacing our sleeper sofas as well. In regards to your comment about the fitness center, I will certainly bring this up to our Housekeeping Manager and Chief Engineer to ensure everything is in working order. We clean the fitness center twice a day, but we were having an issue with the AC in that particular room for a few days this September, so that could have been the issue with the "fresh smell", as well as the temperature - and for this I must apologize. This has since been resolved, so there should be no issues moving forward. I will also bring your WiFi issues to our Chief Engineer and have him look at the access points on that particular floor.

Again, I appreciate the feedback, and I do hope that these issues will not prevent you from trying our property again.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

We stayed there for 2 nights in July. On the first night, our AC was not working so we called the front desk. The night repairman came up & put his hand on the vent and said it was blowing. He left and it still wasnt fixed. It was pushing 83 degrees in the room throughout the night. I tried to open the door but there wasnt a breeze. It was a terrible night. The next morning when the sun was coming up, it was 90 degrees. The front desk was nice and gave us a new room right away but while I was in line to speak to them, there were 3 other couples saying the same thing that the AC didnt work. I would find a different hotel the next time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Markhotel, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Dear cmorgan50,

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay this past July 2011. As we strive to provide every guest with the "Perfect" experience, we take feedback from our guests as an opportunity to improve our services and our facility.

Based on your comments, it looks as if we did not meet our goal of providing that great and memorable experience, and for that, I sincerly apologize. You are correct in stating that the hotel did have AC issues during the months of July and early August. Unfortunately, it was impossible to really pinpoint the issue and repair the problem until we received the proper parts. This situation was certainly not the best to provide the type of service we are capable of providing. What I can tell you is that the issue was resolved in early August and our system is running at 100% capacity, and we do not anticipate any other issues related to the resolution.

Again, I do sincerely apologize for your experience, but I can tell you that our systems are running at capacity and there will be no more AC related issues. I do hope that you would try us again in light of our recent repairs, as we can certainly provide the type of service you would expect from a HIlton branded hotel.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The reception staff were pleasant , and the room was reasonable for the price, and comparable as I am a frequent Hilton guest. The only sad issue was the pool area , bar area. It seems that locals and off duty staff are frequenting the establishment , and some very distasteful comments were made about guests ( teachers that were on a conference) ( comments such as likely not to get any tips etc) , and discussion where they going next as soon as the current bar shift ends) . It is a shame as I felt that the facilities are reserved for guests exclusively , that is why I generally prefer the hilton. Will pass this hilton.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dear SMO727,

I want to first thank you for your comments regarding your stay. The only way we can improve our service is through feedback from our guests - positive or negative. I have to sincerely apologize for the impression our bar staff left you with. I can tell you that NO off duty employees of our property are allowed to use the facilites at the hotel, but being a small community, it is certainly possible that employees from other properties in the area may have been at the bar as many of the people in the hospitality industry in our community do know each other and spend time together. Regardless, I can tell you that the type of discussions that took place should not have happened, and our F&B Director will certainly use this as an opportunity to coach and retrain the staff to ensure that it doesn't. I can tell you that is NOT the type of service we train our staff to provide, nor is it what you expect.

I do hope that this one instance does not deter you from trying our property once again, as I can tell you , that is certainly not the norm. Again, I do apologize, and we do hope to see you again.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed in this hotel during our last trip to Melbourne beach.

The hotel was awesome, rooms clean, bathrooms well maintained, except for the absence of toothpaste :lesson- Carry your own! Location of property is prime - its accessible to the small market which has almost anything you would need for the trip - courtesy Walmart and Dollar Store.

Beach is just out at the back door, Hotel has fitness center, swimming pool and jacuzzi, all in great shape. there is some strong smell in one of tower lift areas, didn't understand what was that for though.

People wanting to see lovely picturesque beach should look for some other place without oceanfront, as the cleaner and low tide side of the nice beaches here in Melbourne don't have properties on the front.

Room Tip: Hotwire rocks - you can easily make out from go now options!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Markhotel, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Dear Roxand,

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to review your experience here with us at the Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront. As we strive to provide the "Perfect" experience, the only way we can get better at what we do is with feedback from our guests - both positive and constructive. I am very happy to see that your stay was great!!

After reviewing your response, I wanted to address the comment you made regarding our beach. As you visited in August, I can tell you that this is in the middle of our storm season - and we did have two storms that passed by our area in August. This causes the beaches to get quite a bit of seaweed and debris from the ocean to be pushed on and off of our beaches. Our county, as well as the hotel, makes every effort to keep the beaches clean and inviting as we can, but considering the storms, we cannot really get to them till after they pass. Just wanted to be sure you were aware of how we manage this area.

I also notice that you mentioned you booked via a third party website (Hotwire). As there are great deals through these sites, and depending on how much you travel, going through our Hilton branded website can ensure you receive your HHonors loyalty points (if you are a member) - as we do not offer points if anyone books through a thrid party site. You can also get great upgrade offers if you book through the Hilton site as well.

Again, thank you so much for your kind comments, and I do hope the next time your travels bring to you Melbourne. you stay with us here at the Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I've stayed here numerous times for work and I truly look forward to every stay. The front desk staff is very personable and professional, every check in is a breeze. My other haunt, the tiki bar has a great crew that makes the drinks worth that hotel surcharge. It's right on the beach, most rooms have at least a partial view and a balcony.

The only complaint would be the carpet in the hallways are looking a little worse for the wear. However in the room, I've never found any problems what so ever. Which is really the most important. I'm reading about a/c problems, but this is again something I've never personally dealt with at this hotel.

I'll be back next month.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Markhotel, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Dear carchatys,

Thank you for your recent response regarding your stay at the Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront. I make an effort to review ALL comments and responses in reference to our hotel's ability to provide great service and use those comments as opportunities to coach and train our team in order to improve our service levels. As it is our goal to exceed our guests' expectations and provide them with the "Perfect" stay, your comments ring loudly to our team's efforts in providing that experience.

Again, I thank you very much for your comments, and we look forward to having you stay with us once again in the near future. So, welcome back!!

Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed August 20, 2011

The good: The hotel is in a good location; the beach isn't crowded, and the hotel is in close proximity to many restaurants and to shopping. There is a pool bar that serves food. You can rent an umbrella and chairs directly in front of the hotel on the beach. The decor is nice, the bedding comfortable, but only in the south tower; the north tower appears older, outdated, and frankly a little dirty. There is free Internet and you can order room service (the key lime pie is excellent). Mini fridge in the room.

We've' stayed here several times (not by choice, but through very competitive Priceline bid wins, which made the marginal service and accommodations worth it). Over the last two years, the hotel has really become more of a Motel 6 than what you might expect of the Hilton brand.

The bad: No in-room safe (unbelievable, really). We had room A/Cs that were not functioning during both of our visits this summer (in both towers), both times maintenance had to come, once at night, once during the day. No apologies received for the inconvenience, although the poor guy appeared to be very skilled and overrun with the same problems in other rooms. The pool is supposed to close at ten every night, but they let people swim and stay rowdy on the pool deck, even with the pool lights off, because the pool BAR stays open until 1:00 AM. Money over guest comfort, which speaks volumes. Room service trays sit in the hallway for almost 24 hours. We asked for towels, they said they'd bring them up, but never did. We went down after an hour, only to be told they don't have anyone in housekeeping who could get us any (it was only 5PM). The rooms are noisy, as the doors are very heavy and so they slam shut, and you will hear every door shut on the rooms around you when people come to and from their rooms. If you are on the beach trying to relax on the weekend during the day, don't count on it...there is a live band on the pool desk with music blaring so loud it actually drowns out the ocean waves. Lastly, you have to give your room number and sign out beach towels at the front desk, and there is a huge sign that says you will be charged $25 per towel if they are not returned....but they do not log it when you turn the towels back in, they tell you just to throw them in the baskets in the lobby. What's the point? We started bringing our own, because it seems like the potential for an unjust towel charge at some point.

The hotel is clean enough, and we like the location. It isn't ideal for romance, or for anyone with young children, but if you just want to come to the beach and party, then this seems to be e clientele they are courting. Priceline or not, we made the decision this most recent visit would be our last.

Room Tip: Priceline wining bid of $62/night.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UNovelGirl
Markhotel, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Dear BGJohnson,

I would like to thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay here at the Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront. Although we strive to exceed our guests' expectations, we obviously did not in this particular case. As you stated, you have stayed with us before, and we certainly appreciate your business. I want to be sure to apologize for any inconveniences that you did experience, and I want to address some of your concerns and issues to ensure that you know we have corrected and/ or addressed them. We did recently experience AC issues, and we have had them in the past as well. Two weeks ago we discovered the source of our on-going issues and have since resolved them. The hotel's AC is now working at 100% capacity and doing very well. We expect no further issues.

We are going to be going through some updates in the property starting in November (these will not disrupt our guests as we will close floors to do the work) which will include updating our North Tower as well as adding in room safes to all rooms. We also hope to add fridges and microwaves to all of our rooms at that time as well. We ahve also made some management staffing changes recently in our F&B department that will certainly improve the level of service that you experienced.

Aagin, I do apologize for your issues, but I do hope that you would try us again based on the changes and adjustments we have made to improve our service and property.

Hilton Melbuorne Beach Oceanfront
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Radisson Suite Hotel Oceanfront
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront
Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place
Port d'Hiver
Port d'Hiver
#1 of 13 in Melbourne Beach

Been to Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!