“Overpriced, low quality italian dishes...will not go back”
Review of Pane E Vino

Pane E Vino
Ranked #3 of 21 Dessert in Melbourne
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
FL
“Overpriced, low quality italian dishes...will not go back”
Reviewed February 7, 2010

I have never written a restaurant review before, but my latest experience at Pane E Vino has forced me to do so. I have eaten at Pane E Vino a few times in the last couple of years and have always been satisfied with the meals and the price. This last experience left a very bad taste in my mouth. So much so that I will never go back, and I will not be recommending this restaurant to friends. I ordered the cavatelli with brocolli which included a side salad and bread. The salad was a plate of chopped up iceberg lettuce and a single slice of cucumber. I was disappointed to see only green on my plate...not even a slice of carrot or a tomato. I should have seen this as a sign of my dish to come. When I received my dish I was unimpressed for the price. The broccolli was frozen, not fresh, and overcooked to a sickly green color. The pasta was overcooked and tasted as if it were sitting in a mix of pasta and "broccolli" water for some time. The dish had no taste except for the overcooked broccolli which overpowered the entire plate. I don't know how any chef or server could even consider bringing out a dish like this.

I've had better at Fazoli's than this and at half the price. I don't know if this was to blame on a new/different chef. I would expect at least fresh broccolli at the price they charge. If you can't afford to stock fresh broccolli, maybe this dish shouldn't be on the menu anymore.

4 Thank fuud_lvr

Aurora, Colorado
“Italian restaurant, deli and bakery--great combo!!”
Reviewed November 12, 2009

There were 3 of us and we all enjoyed our dinners. Nice variety on menu and good selection of wine. I took some of the scrumptious pastries home for dessert. Location is in shopping center next to movie theater--lots of parking. Small area with about 6 tables for 4. Good for a casual meal, before or after a movie or shopping (Melbourne mall is just south).

washington, dc
“Underwhelming”
Reviewed June 29, 2009

We picked Pan e Vino based on other reviews we'd seen and honestly found it to be underwhelming. We went for a Saturday evening dinner and the restaurant was quiet and not busy at all when we arrived. The waiter was inattentive at best--- when I asked if the wines featured on the table tent were the only wines they had, he began to rattle off a long list of wines by the glass but only the variety and not the label; kind of hard to pick a wine based solely on the variety but since it's a casual place, I didn't think too much of it--- till the end of the meal when a different waitress seated another party and gave them a nice, bound wine list.

An appetizer of fresh mozzarella and tomato suffered from boring tomatoes, which tasted like grocery store tomatoes and not the ultra fresh vine-ripened tomatoes that are supposed to go in that dish. The olive oil was quite nice but a little solidiifed around the edges, leading me to believe they'd pre-prepped the appetizers and stored them in the fridge till service. Not the best treatment for a dish where fresh tomatoes are supposed to be a star.

Dinner side salads were nothing remarkable, just chopped lettuce with a big carrot garnish, no tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. I ordered creamy garlic dressing and was a little shocked to see it come out in an electric blue color (imagine pepto bismal if it were blue). Nothing in nature comes in that color and I can't imagine why anyone would dye their salad dressings in that shade. It wasn't like it'd spoiled and turned blue, either--- it was just the strangest thing to see salad dressing in that color. But the flavor was quite nice.

Entrees were decent, not great, certainly not worth $20 a plate for the veal dishes; the veal was nicely cooked but the sauces were under-seasoned and a little bland, and the side pasta could have used just a little longer time in boiling water. Not al dente, but just barely underdone.

None of these are a mortal sin, though, and each misstep in the kitchen can easily be overlooked if the service is good, but we really felt like our server was on break the whole time we were there. He seemed to get a lot more attentive when a pretty, young blonde woman came in to get some dessert to go; he spent a long time explaining each different choice to her, but we sat so long with dirty plates that his co-worker ended up doing more for our table than he did.

Overall, really underwhelming and disappointing, based on the glowing reviews we'd seen. I would not recommend and would not go back.

3 Thank dcpatti
Titusville, Florida
“They Rock !”
Reviewed May 7, 2009

Pane Vino is awesome ! I have had Italian food in Italy and I have to say this is the closest thing to it ! The antipasto is out of this world ! and all of the pasta dishes are great ! The atmosphere is lovely and the desserts and coffee drinks are wonderful too ! Sometimes your wait can be a bit long but that is because they are always super busy !

savannah
“Awesome food, service is hit or miss”
Reviewed February 19, 2009

Easily the best Italian food in Brevard County. Made to order so, don't come in a hurry. The service is never the same twice and can be off putting, but the food is what return here for!