“Disappointed”

Cuisines: Mexican
Columbia, MD
“Disappointed”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

From the other reviews I was really expecting to like this place, unfortunately it did not meet expectations. On the positive side, El Indio is very cute inside, with colorful decor, and is very clean. The gentleman who greeted us at the door was also very friendly and welcoming. The lady who took our drink order, however, was not so pleasant. When we asked what soft drinks they had, she pointed at a little advertisement on the table. It had a picture of a Jarrito drink on it, so I said, "You have Jarrito?" She said, "Yes, right there," and pointed at the picture again, like I was an idiot. Finally after I waited another few moments she rattled off the 5 or 6 kinds they carry. Not sure how I was supposed to know all of them from the picture of the mandarin flavor. But the really disappointing thing was the food, which wasn't very good. The chips and salsa weren't bad, but my enchilada verde with rice and refried beans was pretty poor. The verde sauce was almost inedible, it was so salty. When I mentioned it to the man at the door when we were leaving he said, "The cheese is salty." I've eaten plenty of enchiladas in California and New Mexico and I've never had any that salty, and that had no real flavor other than salt. The rice was bland and dried out and the beans didn't taste very good,either. My son had a fajita burrito with chicken that was O.K., but said the burritos at Chipotle are better. The lunch meals were priced at $7.99 each, not including drinks. I'd say they were worth closer to $5.99 Won't be back.

• Visited January 2014

nc
“Very enjoyable, like a trip south”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We just got back from dinner at El Indio (The Indian). It was nice. Reminiscent of country restaurants in Mexico and Costa Rica. It is run with wide smiles by a couple who I would guess are from the Yucatan. The decor is simple but functional and very clean. My wife and I shared a Burrito Relleno which is a stuffed battered and fried pepper inside a tortilla with beans, onion, etc. and with brown gravy, sour cream, guacamole and lettuce on the side. Very fresh and tasty and plenty for both of us. I had a Mexican beer and the total bill was about $15. There is lots of familiar stuff on the menu and some unique. We shall return.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank stout-scarab
Melbourne Beach
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Finally authentic Mexican food in Melbourne”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I drive by this little place almost every day. I thought "yuck that place doesn't look clean." as soon as I walked in I was surprised. The place was very clean and and the people were very nice. We tried the food and it was amazing. JUST LIKE MEXICO!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Stuttgartcruiser
“Delicious Mexican food!”
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

We have driven past this restaurant dozens of times.We dismissed it based on the fact that several unremarkable restaurants have come and gone from this former gas station. Boy have we been missing out! We visited on a weeknight and were the only customers when we went in. Our party of five all had different dishes. From cheese dip to tacos to fajita burritos to Pollo diablo, it was all very tasty. Service was very attentive. Prices are a little on the high side but we will be back. We have a new favorite Mexican place!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank RnJ29
Melbourne, Florida
“Finally, a real mexican restaurant!”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We've lived in the Melbourne area for almost 20 years now, and the town is pathetically lacking in real Mexican food. No More! El Indio is the real deal. Great food, great owners, great service. We went there for breakfast (real Mexican choices) and had a great overall experience. Can't wait to go back for lunch and dinner. El Indio is in the place where the great Olympia Greek Restaurant used to be on New Haven, so it just proves all over again that you can't judge a great restaurant by its outward appearances!

• Visited August 2013