“Live local and visit every weekend”

Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands
Ranked #3 of 106 things to do in Melbourne
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I'm an amateur photographer and this place has loads of photo ops.....If you go take a pair of binoculars and a camera.

There are newer reviews for Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands

Reviewed June 22, 2014

It's hard to find. It smells weird. And once you're there, you're like... what is this place? Terrible signage. Zero tourist-friendly perqs. No guides or tours. It's a dirt road that loops through a swamp. You may see some birds and a gator or two, but you can see these at any lake in Brevard County. I don't get it.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

The Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands at Viera is located at the north-western end of Wickham Road. It is a large native wetlands, supported by treated wastewater and runoff. I've observed alligators, deer, racoons, squirrels, bats, and thousands of birds including over a hundred species from giant storks to osprey to small finches. you can drive through much of the preserve, or even better take a walk or a bike ride. It's free, easy on the eyes, and a very pleasant excursion only minutes from Viera and Melbourne.

1  Thank John G
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I have lived in the Central FL area for about a year. I have visited several spots on the Great Florida Birding Trail but this location had not bubbled up on my list until today. I found the park charming with plenty of birds throughout my stay on site. I found at least a dozen species of birds while there as well as a couple deer, a couple gators and an otter family.

The park is free and with that one also get an occasional whiff from the processing end of the waste water plant. I do not think I would plan on this park when the winds are out of the straight east. The park includes port potties but no other services.

The park includes four cells and one lake; the four cells include an island of different eco-systems. I think the though was to invite as many birds in as possible, but a couple of the cells did not seem all that active. Note that the cells and lake have wide drives around their perimeters. These drives are one-way and mostly well marked. They are wide enough so that one can bird from a car and not worry about others passing. In addition, there are several park benches and two observation platforms. It seems apparent that the cells were created out of processing necessity and Brevard County went out of their way to add value to the facility.

The Viera Wetlands moved well up my list on regular birding locations.

2  Thank CEWAIT
Reviewed June 1, 2014

As we drove thru the park, there was plenty to see. It was a beautiful drive and enjoyed the wildlife. I would recommend it to everyone.

1  Thank Debi3339