“Dissapointing place”

Ranked #12 of 447 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Locally sourced ingredients, internationally inspired cuisine
Reviewed August 30, 2013

After reading great reviews, we expected excellent food. This place was rated higher than many other really good restaurants we liked, therefore our expectations were high. The restaurant was very clean, the service was good, but the food was just OK, more like cooking from a "can" than a skillful chef's creation. The presentation of the dishes was also unimpressive.

MelyG525, Owner at The Nomad Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

I am sorry to hear you were disappointed by your visit to our restaurant. We would love to know specifically what dishes you ordered during your visit, as we are always trying to improve and ensure our guests expectations are met. Additionally, as we do prepare all of our sauces, soups, and everything else from scratch, we would like to extend you the option to work with the Chef, so he can show you how he makes each sauce and get your opinion on how it can be improved. I do hope you will visit us again, as I look forward to the opportunity to customize your experience and make it everything you hoped it would be.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have been there many times and its the best in town. Innovative food in a cozy setting. Call ahead as they seem to randomly close, but definitely worth a visit

MelyG525, Owner at The Nomad Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Thank you so much for the tremendous compliment! The title of your review is an honor to see at the top of our Trip Advisor page. I do hope the "random" closures have not inconvenienced you too much. Unlike many other places, we do not open if the chef is not there, so any business related trips, or things of that nature he has to attend, we close instead. We do have an e-mail list (I promise I won't spam you to death!) via which I always announce the closures, so let us know next time you are in if we can get you signed up. Following us on Facebook is a great way to find out too. I'm so glad you enjoy our little restaurant and hope we will be there for you for many years to come.

Thank you again!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have been to Nomad Café many times since it first opened and have never experienced a bad meal. In fact, I usually order one of the chef's specials since they are always innovative and delicious. If there is duck (any preparation), I'll order that. Their fish specials are wonderful, also. I haven't eaten anything off the main menu but decided the next time I'm there, I would do that. We were there for dinner on 8/3 and the people sitting next to us were first timers and had ordered some of the Mexican entrees...they looked wonderful and the couple seemed very pleased. The restaurant is small and you will be sitting close to others, sometimes this is a good thing! The servers are knowledgeable and they treat you right. The wine list is good and Meghan always has some good suggestions. The last time we were there my husband had the veal chop. This was prepared perfectly and the chop was huge. The same chop in any other restaurant would have been at least $35 but was only $24 at Nomad. For $1 more, you can supplement your entrée with a house salad or soup. We are real fans of Nomad and applaud the owner/check for consistently coming up with interesting and delicious food. We will continue to patronize one of our favorite restaurants.

1  Thank Lynn R
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is a three minus rating (3-) establishment. We dined during the supper rush and the small dining room was packed. It hard to move around being larger people, space is very limited. It was so loud I could not hear my wife and have supper conversation. Interior was tacky with expensive, cheesy art, unimpressive tile floor, and globes dangling from ceiling. I think the building was previously a gas station and then the Pita Pit. There is no liqueur here like cocktails or martinis so I ordered a beer. Server told me she had a Belgian dark beer on special and after a long wait (they couldn't find it) brought out a Bavarian (German) dark wheat beer which was good. I told her Belgium and Germany were different countries. When I asked what Harissa seasoning was on the fish she did not know and said she would find out and never did get back to me. The servers going to the adjacent tables barely cleared our little dining area, there is SO little room in this place. Chicken soup was very good. Salads were nothing special. Our chicken dishes were average + (Chicken Cordon Bleu) and BELOW average (Chicken Francoise). The potatoes and zucchini side with one was soggy and the grits with the other tasted weird. I asked the server about desserts and she said they had pound cake and finally said it was Tres Leches cake. Usually, Tres Leches cake is called Tres Leches cake. Anyway, the cake was excellent and out coffees were brought out a few minutes after the dessert was served. My wife's regular coffee was very good but my Cafe con Leche tasted like Italian cappuccino so I had to add sugar and cream. Servers were slow to take empty bottles away and I had to ask for a new chilled glass for my second beer. We were really disappointed and will likely not return.

After reading your review, I assure you we recognize our weaknesses in the ambiance department. Yes, it used to be a gas station, yes you sit very close to your neighbors, and yes it gets loud when we are full. Most of our regulars (we would love to have you as one), enjoy the cozy setting and have actually come to know one another because of it. I have read your other reviews and see you do in fact enjoy a cocktail or two, but we do not have a liquor license. I change my beer and wine offerings constantly in order to keep it interesting and fun, and as such, the servers often direct the questions to me. If you choose to try us again, I would love to help you pick out a beer you will love.
Our version of the dishes are different than what you may expect based on your admiration of the straight-forward restaurants you reviewed highly, but that variety is something we pride ourselves on. Yes, the grits are funky, but funkless grits are not good. Come visit is again! Ask for me. I want to tell you about what we do, why we do it, and how I can get you to love it. We are a small place, on a budget, without the luxuries of a chain, cooking what we love, serving it in a dining room with old ugly tiles, and living the American dream. I would love for you to be a part of that with us.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I took out from here and had an exceptional experience with five different dishes. Pleasant waitresses at the bar that made me feel welcome and not uncomfortable while I decided what to order. Here I got a chance to see the kitchen in action while I waited. The kitchen appeared to be manned by a chef and an assistant. Very much like you may see in fine dining kitchens. These guys worked without screaming or running around. They worked liked artists, dressed in uniform, in a small clean kitchen. It was very nice to see the care taken for every dish. Things were not slopped together, there was a purpose to each meal they cooked.

I ended up ordering way too much. I wont go into detail of what I ordered but I will recommend the seafood burrito. For me this was a real treat and the thing I liked most was the lump back fin crab meat in the dish and sprinkled on top. You rarely see lump backfin crab meat in most restaurants, even seafood places. I enjoyed it so much I only ate half so I had the other half to eat the next day. Really great dish.

Now I wont say each dish was done the way I am used to, but each dish was done to perfection and I could appreciate what the chef was trying to convey with each one. This means that even if it was not my favorite, it was very good for what it was. For example, the tacos al pastor comes on a corn tortilla and with a pinapple pico de gallo "sauce". I like mine on flour tortilla which they gladly did, but I prefer this taco like a barbecue sandwich and the tangy cold sauce was not what I expected and probably not a great choice for take out. The bottom line is some of their dishes are not traditional, but they are fresh and good. I don't want to talk for them, but I bet if you ate in and did not like anything they would probably get you something you like, it is that kind of quality place.

Yes, you would not expect to see such a diverse menu done well, but somehow they do it. It is a great value and there is a reason it is ranked so high on tripadvisor. If I lived here this would be my go to restaurant above all others in the area.