“Great Service & Great Food!”

The Bald Strawberry
Ranked #22 of 449 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: 100% Gluten Free Goodness! Gourmet waffle sandwiches and waffle pizzas! Desserts & treats too! Try something new, try something delicious!
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

We had seen the great reviews about this restaurant as we wanted a vegetarian friendly restaurant to eat at on vacation... This place didn't disappoint! It was fantastic! I had the "V" sandwich which has spicy hummus and fresh tomatoes and avocado and it was amazing! The service was impeccable and Jessica made us feel so welcomed! The gluten free desserts are heavenly! Had the red velvet cupcake and it was divine!! Highly recommended!!!!!!!

1  Thank Joybaby07

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Had lunch here in December while visiting family, although it's a little hard to find in their shopping center, it's worth the hunt! All their pizzas, sandwiches, and desserts are on a gluten free waffle as the base, which is amazing! My husband and I ordered the sunrise pizza and the turkey sandwich and split both so we could try more than one thing. Both were delicious and even though it's a real small cafe, the cook was very accomodating (though our server was slow). I have soy problems and a pork allergy on top of celiac, so had to ask some extra questions & make changes! They did use coconut oil or milk, which my mom is allergic to so she just had chips & salsa. Prices at the cafe were very reasonable for gluten free. We also bought a bag of waffle batter to go to bring home with us and they came out very yummy at home too! ($6 or so for a pound bag roughly).

They also co-own a gluten free bakery further down in the shopping center, we had a brownie from there that was good.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I was treated to a meal at the Bald Strawberry recently while in Melbourne.
My, what a treat! the Waffle used to make my sandwich was DELICIOUS!
The sweet & spicy black bean hummus used was outstanding also.
I would highly recommend this cafe for anyone, gluten-intolerant or not.

Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

As a confirmed meat eater dining with a vegan-gluten free partner, it is hard to find restaurants that make us both happy. Bald Strawberry fit the bill. I had the ham and cheese sandwich and it was just wonderful. I really enjoyed the fact that it was served on a crispy waffle, so delightfully different and nicely heated and warm. I usually eat my sandwiches open face to save calories on that top piece of bread-but not this time! I didn't want to miss the top waffle or mustard-based spread. My partner had an entire menu of options to choose from which was so nice, so very very very nice.

1  Thank mlesniak262
Reviewed March 2, 2014

First of all, thank you to another reviewer for giving such good directions to The Bald Strawberry in Melbourne. It is located in a strip mall; there is no sign on the building, but there is a big banner in the window identifying it. The interior has limited seating, although it seems it could accommodate more. We had no trouble getting a seat.

We were greeted the minute we walked in the door, and our server was prompt and friendly. We didn't seek out the restaurant because it's gluten-free but because we enjoy freshly made, good-for-you food. Most items are served on gluten-free waffles. Different, but delicious! Sister had a Hawaiian pizza on a waffle; brother-in-law had a spinach and black bean hummus waffle sandwich; I had a turkey reuben, made with real turkey and a spicy sauce. We all swooned over our choices.

There were several children there and they seemed to be enjoying their meals. It must be difficult to find restaurants with gluten free offerings that are suitable for children.

We are so happy we took the time to drive off I-95 to find The Bald Strawberry. You will be, too!

2  Thank AnnaSoo