“Good Seafood”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Shells offers a wide variety of seafood selections. Best choices are the fish of the day. The crab is often not the best, especially the Dungeness crab. Sides and salads are good

1  Thank George N

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I've been coming here for years, love the food and the service. Prices aren't bad, depending on what you order. They have a very good bar if you want an after dinner drink.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is one of the top restaurants in Melbourne for a reason; it is one of the few remaining great values. If you really enjoy fresh seafood, plentiful servings and affordable prices with excellent service all in an enjoyable, friendly atmosphere, this is the place for you. we drove 20 minutes to get to Shells, but it was worth it. The fried grouper was some of the best I have ever eaten (three nice size fillets). The clam chowder was full of clams; get the bowl. Wife had the fried shrimp and two others had the peel and eat shrimp. Coleslaw was quite tasty while the vegetables were just okay. Shrimp was fresh from the gulf side of the state. I know anyone would agree that this is the place to go for real seafood. You won't leave hungry. Oh, the restaurant is not accessible from the main drag. You have to go around to the back to get to the front door.

1  Thank f4jock
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I remember during my childhood, eating out at the Shell's restaurant in the town I grew up in, and the good food they serve. This was back during Shell's prime as a seafood chain. Fast forward to 2013, I'm heading back to my current home from a day in Melbourne looking for a place to eat. I was shocked when I passed the Shell's on 192 thinking that the Shell's chain went out of business.
My experience at this Shell's, I would rate excellent. Is the food as good as I remember? Can't say as I was much younger and my taste in food has changed but the food at the Shell's in Melbourne was very good. The blackened tilapia with rice and vegetables tasted fresh. Service was fast and friendly. I would best compare Shell's restaurant to a cheaper (in price) Red Lobster to those of you unsure about stopping.
I will definitely stop at Shell's the next time I'm in Melbourne. You should also stop by especially considering there aren't many Shell's restaurants in business anymore.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I went here for the Cioppino and wasn't disappointed! It's hard to find this dish and it's even harder to find a generous portion if it. It was loaded with crab, scallops, shrimp, and the fish of the day. It tasted great. I also had the conch fritters which are also hard to find. If you visit Melbourne, I strongly suggest you eat here at least once.