“Sub-par, Nothing special”

Red Ginger
Ranked #131 of 446 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Sushi, Chinese, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: World class Chinese cuisine and sushi located in the Melbourne Square Mall. For elegant Chinese cuisine, look no further than Red Ginger.
Reviewed July 4, 2013

All I can say is meh... I was looking for some great Chinese food. This wasn't it. I ordered the sesame chicken meal, which comes with soup, fried rice and two egg rolls and two shrimp spring rolls. I opened the bag when I got home and what I got was 2 egg rolls, white rice and sesame chicken. The price tag was $18.50, quite hefty. The food was quite bland. No distinct flavors jumped out. The chicken was dry and tasted like frozen chicken nuggets drenched in a watery sesame sauce.

My search for good Chinese food will continue.

1  Thank Alexandra G
There are newer reviews for Red Ginger

Reviewed May 7, 2013

First the negatives. My son chose this place for his graduation from Florida Tech. I expected the atmosphere to be more upscale and relaxing. However, it was a little dark, at least in the area where my family and I were seated. Positives--the food was very tasty, especially the salt and pepper calamari. The menu had a unique twist. Would return to try another dish.

2  Thank latkwat13
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Found this place from google may on my way back from orlando. It's really a great experience. Both of us are spicy lovers. their new style orange beef and jalapeon chicken are just excellent!!!

2  Thank Hasitle S
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Something happened. It used to be better. We have been going on and off for 7 years. Two or three recent dining experiences have been sub par. Will not be going back anymore. Here's why:

They used to use decent cuts of beef, and now they are using the most cheapest cuts, as in "is this really beef??"

They used to use decent cuts of chicken. How can you mess up chicken? Even the chicken on the boness stir fries is questionable.

I am not a particularly picky eater, but even I have noticed.

Some of the sushi is questionable...is it really what it says on the menu? (I didn't get sick or anything..it just didn't taste quite right.)

They served my son a dish of crispy (fried) chicken, sweet and sour. His plate had a paper doily underneath the chicken and sauce was drizzled on top. They didn't give us an additional plate, this was his to eat. The steam/fat/sauce caused doily to quickly break apart within minutes and he was eating bits of paper with the chicken. We don't like to make a fuss (mainly because we used to work in restaurant business in our college days); however, even the waiter who saw didn't do anything or offer to remedy.

1  Thank globalnomad12345
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The place to go for more upscale Chinese dining. Every year they celebrate the Chinese New Year with the "Dragon Dance" outside the restaurant and it is quite something to see. Very artfully done and great for the kids to watch. Good food and nice atmosphere.

2  Thank tamsoccer