“El Ambia Cubano Es Magnifico”
Review of El Ambia Cubano

El Ambia Cubano
Ranked #9 of 446 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Family restaurant, with a history, excellent Cuban food and ambiance.
Reviewed December 24, 2013

What a great place for Cuban food and friendly atmosphere - and can you believe it is tucked away in Melbourne?! We found El Ambia when trying to find Cuban food in the Melbourne area and boy did we get lucky! It was a day for a late lunch and even though we got there at 3 PM and they were closing after lunch in order to prep for reopening at 5, they let us sit with a few other customers on their porch and order. It turned into a little party and by the time we left at 5 it felt like we had become part of the El Ambia family. The food and drinks were great (masas de puerco, snapper, and very yummy batidos!). DEFINITELY our favorite place in Melbourne and one that we will return to again and again!

There are newer reviews for El Ambia Cubano

Reviewed December 6, 2013

The groundskeeper at our B & B recommended this place as did the folks at SUP Eco Tours. It's kind of like a hole-in-the wall but you will not regret your decision to eat here. DELICIOUS! We were disappointed that we found this place on our last night in Melbourne Beach; it was so good we would have eaten here again. Our server Billy (who also served at the bartender) had a ton of personality and was a hoot. The mojitos were fantastic (and strong!). This was our first time eating Cuban cuisine, and he was a big help in guiding us through the menu and making sure we got a representative sample of their most popular dishes. The owner/chef delivered our food very soon after we ordered. We will definitely be back!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Went for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed....waitress said we do have fresh snapper today, which was not on the menu. We both immediately ordered. Also both had the house Chardonnay which was very good. Fish arrived with rice and an order of black beans. Snapper was deelish...and two large portions...small little place, we ate outside and surely will return...worth the wait if there is a line..

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I've eaten here a half dozen times over the past couple of years and it's always been really good food/experience. I've also taken guests there and they all have loved it. I guess it was this past visit that sealed it...THIS PLACE IS MY NEW FAVORITE! My wife and I had a late lunch on a Friday(no crowd, no wait). The service was fast and friendly, food presentation was great and it tasted out of this world. For whatever reason you are reading Tripadvisor Melbourne restaurant reviews this place will fit the bill(unless you have a party >six people). Trust me...and try the Hemingway Rice!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I decided to check this place out after having passed by it several times and saw lots of cars parked and people dining outside. To us, that means it must be good to be that packed with people. And after checking out reviews on Trip Advisor, we decided to give it a try. Having never had real and proper Cuban food before, this was our first. For dinner, they open at 5pm so come early because they get full really quick and parking is hard to come by. We decided to dine inside (they have a cute little patio for outside seating). I loved the mixed wall decor and the homey feeling. The place is small and a little on the tight side, but that makes it homey. You can see the chefs cooking by the bar with the conga seats. Service was excellent. Our server was very much engaged and helpful in explaining to us what the menu was. I tried their red sangria and it was just the way I liked it! We had the tostones rellenos for appetizers. Hubby liked it. I think it was too heavy for me to be an appetizer but it was okay. I had the Hemingway Rice which was like a paella dish and my husband had the masas de puerco fritas. I was a bit disappointed with mine because I am a paella lover and this dish did not meet my expectations. Maybe this was the Cuban style? I found it too salty and the rice was sticky and all clumped together with the seafood. My husband loved his. Then we had the tres leches for dessert which was also okay. Hubby had the cortadito coffee which he swears is the best ever! He said he would come back for the coffee. There was live music as it was a weekend. I would come back for the laid back ambience, the service, the sangria and maybe try another dish?