“Little hidden treasure”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
north carolina
“Little hidden treasure”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Ate there on the way home to NC from Miami...stopped because I used to live in Melbourne...nice little surprise. Very good food. Sometimes "authentic" makes me apprehensive as I've had "authentic mexican" and it was dry and tasteless. But this place is very well worth stopping at. Easy to get to and very pleasant atmosphere. The owner (I presume)/waiter was wonderful. Really busy that day and service was slow as he was short of staff that day. But even at that he tried his best and did a great job. I've been in fully staffed restaurants and the service hasn't been as good. Knowing he was doing all he could to serve his customers efficiently and with great care made all the difference. Thankfully we had the time. I would definitely go back. Nice little find!!

• Visited April 2012

Cocoa Beach, Florida
“Gone WAY Downhill”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This was a joke and the price for what we received was ridiculous.

For 15.50, I received one very small filet of Tilapia so heavily salted as to be unpleasant and a couple of tablespoons of cold rice and cement like beans.

My husband's chicken enchiladas with salsa verde were mush.

Sangria was nasty.

We also had the pleasure of sitting outside and listening to some local hooligans parade up and down in front of the restaurant and use filthy language for an hour.
I went in and spoke to our server and she said they are there a lot and she gets a lot of complaints about them. Then she did nothing and the owner was there as well.

This has to be the worst experience we have had in Melbourne in years and we live here and love it.

• Visited April 2012
Melbourne, Florida
“Great food but slow”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Authentic great tasting Mexican food, small portions, very slow service but we will keep coming here because food tastes great.. Just expect a wait.

• Visited February 2012
florida
“Save your $ and go to another mexican restaurant....”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

from the moment we walked in and were greeted with "ill be with u soon....hopefully" ...we should have walked out but the appearance and quait atmosphere reminded us of costa rica sodas so we decided to try it. Much to our disappointment our cokes were flat, the portions very small for the $, our waitress forgot to refill chips and drinks even after we asked...never informed us of an upcharge for beef instead of chicken or an additional $1.00 for salsa with my daughters quesadilla {which was the best food out of all}. As it is an older building we noticed several mosquitos buzzing about and my son was bit several times on his legs while we were there. never once saw owner and server was ok but not anything special. Maybe things have changed since the last review but we would not return nor rec this place to anyone

Palm Bay, Florida
“Best Mexican Food in Brevard County and best Mole' anywhere!”
Reviewed October 7, 2011

A few years back my wife & I read a review in our local newspaper's Weekend Section about a new Mexican Restaurant named Salsas that had just opened in Historic Downtown Melbourne, FL. As we are both fans of Mexican cuisine and were less than impressed with most of the local Mexican eatery choices, we wasted no time in checking out the new establishment... and we've been faithful patrons ever since!

As other reviewers have pointed out, this is not the typical Tex-Mex fare you'll find in most of your chain restaurants- this is authentic Mexican cuisine, freshly prepared! Upon being seated, you're presented with a basket of freshly baked tortilla chips with fresh, homemade salsa. The menu offers a nice selection of appetizers and entrees. The tamales and enchiladas are the best I've had and my wife loves the chicken quesadillas with manchego cheese and homemade guacamole, but what keeps us coming back time and time again are the enmoladas- shredded chicken breast in a corn tortilla covered in the best mole' sauce on this planet! Since I first experienced mole' sauce about 20 years ago, it has basically become my measuring stick for rating mexican restaurants. If the mole' sauce is not up to par, I'll be disinclined to return and if the restaurant doesn't offer a dish with mole' sauce... it's definately off the list! Salsas is by far the best I've tasted, even better than a couple of restaurants we've tried in Mexico!

Aside from the excellent food, any review of Salsas would not be complete without mentioning the owner and host Gustavo Sanchez! The majority of local restaurant managers could take lessons in hospitality from Gustavo. When he's not busy in the kitchen preparing his delicious dishes, you'll find him warmly greeting patrons as they enter the restaurant as if they were old friends and going from table to table, ensuring every diner has everything they need and are completely satisifed with their meals. A more welcoming host you cannot find!

In closing, if you're in the mood for Mexican food and want more of the same Tex-Mex fare, head for one of the chain restaurants. But if you want an authentic, freshly prepared Mexican meal served by a caring, attentive staff, then head to Salsas in Historic Downtown Melbourne and tell Gustavo that Bob & Diann sent you!

• Visited September 2011