Tripadvisor
Melbourne

“Squid Lips dining experience”

Squid Lips Overwater Grill
Ranked #20 of 502 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: This rambling eclectic island style restaurant building complete with thatched roofs, mahogany bars, private beach, outside deck and band stand and some funky decor--is part of the historic Oleander Hotel that occupied this gorgeous waterfront property since 1925. Multiple dining areas and the ability to handle large parties offer something for everyone. Daily entertainment, island drinks, cold beer, toes in the sand, fresh fish and Floribbean cusine from our scratch kitchen prepared by one of the area's most popular restaurants and served by friendly staff--Squid Lips, where the locals eat and drink. Come by boat or car.
Reviewed January 21, 2020 via mobile

Quirky interior which I enjoyed. Located on the water which provides a good experience. The hostess and wait staff were very pleasant. I enjoyed the healing plate of homemade chips with blue cheese, scallions and balsamic vinaigrette. Interesting flavor. The bacon wrapped scallops were divine. You have to check it out.

Date of visit: January 2020
Squidlipsgrill, Owner at Squid Lips Overwater Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We are so happy to see you enjoyed your experience at our restaurant. Thanks for the great review of our atmosphere and service. It means so much that you enjoyed the homemade chips and bacon wrapped scallops. We hope to see you again soon!

Squid Lips Staff

Write a reviewReviews (1,764)

Reviewed January 20, 2020 via mobile

We sat out on the covered deck overlooking the river. Beautiful view, and very relaxing environment. Our Server was over immediately taking our drink orders and explaining the specials. Sunday they offer a Bloody Mary bar with over 50 items to choose from and you build it yourself. I went with a mimosa, my husband got a pain killer, our drinks were very reasonably priced and well made. We shared several apps. The smoked fish dip was awesome.. very smooth and not fishy at all.. the wings were great as well as the coconut shrimp.. very pleased with everything we ordered and especially the exceptional service.. will definitely be returning.

Date of visit: January 2020
Squidlipsgrill, Owner at Squid Lips Overwater Grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2020

Wyndee,
We are so happy to see you enjoyed your experience at our restaurant. Thanks for the great review of our view, environment, and service. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2020 via mobile

Love this place. Great view, bar, music. All very casual. But they have it going on here. Always efficient service... the snack food always makes the mark. They have it figured out here. My go to place for drinks, snacks and casual atmosphere

Date of visit: January 2020
Squidlipsgrill, Owner at Squid Lips Overwater Grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2020

We are so happy to see you enjoyed your experience at our restaurant. Thanks for the great review of our bar and music. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 19, 2020 via mobile

We come here all the time. It’s always consistently good and you get good value for the money.
This Tuesday , I went with a few friends for the shrimp special nite. It was a pleasant nite and we got a table in the covered outdoor deck, overlooking the ocean and the bridge.
My friend and I ordered the shrimp basket special and the other one ordered a fish dish with mango salsa. We took a long time to order , but our waiter was most patient and polite with us.
When the fried shrimp basket arrived, it was topped with huge mounds of French fries and so many shrimp, it made me full just looking at it. I ate and ate and the shrimp seemed endless, it was so good and cooked just right. My friends also enjoyed their choices as much as I did, we all cleaned our plates and was stuffed. We were very pleased and not disappointed , and that’s why Squid lips is still one of my favorite places to come and dine with friends.

Date of visit: January 2020

We are so happy to see you enjoyed your experience at our restaurant. It means so much that you took the time to share this great review of our shrimp basket and service. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 19, 2020 via mobile

After the long holiday season and a fast start to the New Year, we needed a long weekend to recover. We chose the quiet community of Melbourne fir our Sierra and on the first was looking for a place for dinner. As we look through the choices online, my wife was tickled by the name, so we decided to give it a go.

When we arrived they were very busy, but the hostesses were very friendly and were seated relatively quick. Our waitress Lisa was very friendly and explained the menu and that it was still happy hour. I want to first say their happy hour drinks were great, not watered as many places do. I had a Cosmo and my wife had a Long Island Iced Tea. For an appetizer we hand their homemade chip with blue cheese and a balsamic drizzle. OMG! The portion was huge, but they were delicious and we are all of it!

We both had the Isla Mirada, as our entree which was grilled fish, a lobster and crab cake, garlic mash, and green beans. Everything was done extremely well and came out quickly considering the crowd. Will definitely be back!!

Elgin,
We are so happy to see you enjoyed your experience at our restaurant. Thanks for the great review. We hope to see you again soon!