“Try the wings”

Squid Lips Overwater Grill
Ranked #10 of 445 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A unique, award-winning intracoastal view since 2004, Squid Lips has served up quality food with friendly and attentive service, all offered in our unique and casual environment.
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Squid Lips probably has the best chicken wings outside of Kansas for size and juiciness. Not to be confused with Buffalo wings which no one outside of Buffalo seems to be able to do right.Try their 16 wing sampler with the sauces on the side. Very plump wings and cooked to perfection. Great entertainment on weekends and every night but check their website for bands and times.Sax on the Beach is worth a week night trip on Tuesday but again check the schedule. Wide selection of beers and full bar. We like to sit outside but do yourself a favor and walk around the rambling building that was once a hotel; there is something interesting in every nook and corner. We came in by boat so you have an idea of the view.

2  Thank Franklin G
There are newer reviews for Squid Lips Overwater Grill

Reviewed August 13, 2014

We went to this restaurant based on a local hotel recommendation and it turned out to be a wonderful experience! There were three of us dining, and we did not have reservations. Upon arrival, we were served right away - we were asked whether we wanted to sit inside overlooking the water, or outside on the patio. It was a Thursday evening, and there was a band playing outside, so we chose inside so that we could chat and keep cool with the air conditioner. It sounded like a great band, but it would've been loud sitting outside.

We ordered conch fritters and oysters to start - both were delicious and fresh. Then for our mains, we had stuffed flounder, Thai Mahi Mahi, and Ahi Tuna - with various sides of garlic mashed, rice, veggies. We all enjoyed our dishes and the portions were just right. We shared a delicious key lime pie for dessert - a perfect way to end the meal.

The staff at the door and our server were all very welcoming and friendly. The service was very good. The only little thing that was unfortunate: we had not even finished half of our appetizers when the mains came to the table, so the timing could have been a little better.

All in all, we really enjoyed our experience at this restaurant, and love the name! :) If we were to return to the area, we would definitely go back again.

1  Thank DMD_Ottawa
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We wanted some seafood for dinner, so we decided to try Squid Lips Overwater Grill. The restaurant is nice...right on the water. Our waitress was nice and efficient. I really wanted some scallops, and that's what I ordered. I'm used to deep sea scallops, so I was surprised when I saw the size of the bay scallops. They're a lot smaller! But they were good. My order came with fries which were also good. My husband ordered shrimp and grits which he enjoyed and my son got a steak with some fries. He said his steak was wonderful. We were in a room with about ten tables...four of which were by the window. We didn't have a table by the window...which overlooks the water...unfortunately, but we could still see the water from where we sat. Once the room filled up with people...the volume increased, so it did seem a bit loud. All in all, we enjoyed our dinner and our evening.

1  Thank M C
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We arrived about 20 min. before the other couple so went to the bar to wait. Sat there about 15 min. when a waiter dropped by and asked if we were doing fine. Well, no, we could use a drink...isn't that what is served in a bar?? He took our order and a minute later the buzzer went off. My fiance went to the front desk and was told to pay for our drinks and come to be seated. So he searched out the waiter, got our drinks and off we went to our table. We had a Groupon voucher which I sat on the table. The waitress took our appetizer order and inquired if that was a voucher. Yes...well, okay I will just put it in my pocket so when I do your check, I will have it. Our appetizers arrived and we then placed our four entrees per the voucher. Blue Cheese Balsamic nachos were okay.....not very much blue cheese. Coconut shrimp app was very good. Dipping sauce way too sweet though. I had the stuffed shrimp which was supposedly stuffed with crab and lobster....didn't taste any lobster. Two had ordered the fried shrimp/fish platter which the fish was cooked til dried out. Both said it was more like fish jerky!! Fried shrimp were decent. Fourth entree was also stuffed shrimp which were not heated through. Our waitress was very attentive which was nice considering the lack of service in the bar area. When she brought the check, she apologize and said when she went to ring it up, her manager told her the voucher could only be used Sun-Thurs. She said that she should have noticed it when she picked it up but did not. I had looked at the voucher before we decided to go there and did not see it. It was the very last thing in the fine print. I guess I just assumed something limiting when you could use a voucher would be at the beginning...before the types of entrees that were excluded. So, instead of an almost free dinner, we had a full check!! I don't feel that it was a very good decision on the side of management since even their staff did not know the terms. It would have been better to just honor it since the restaurant was pretty empty. We did continue enjoying our evening and went to the bar area next to the live band/dance floor. There we once again did not have any service so we had to go to the bar to get our own drinks!!! Unfortunately, we do have to return to get the value of our voucher but it will be our last visit there!

1  Thank Gagal
Squidlipsgrill, Manager at Squid Lips Overwater Grill, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

We agree with you that the days the voucher is valid should be listed earlier in the "fine print", however we have no control over the order of the itmes in the "fine print" as that is decided by Groupon, not us. It's obvious that we need to do a better job of training our servers regarding the Groupon vouchers. We apologize that our sever didn't alert you prior to ordering that your voucher was not valid that evening.

Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were passing through Melbourne on vacation and a local recommended this place. Fun and entertaining atmosphere! Shrimp was excellent, mahi mahi average. But overall the perfect place to go and have a drink by the water with live music entertainment!

1  Thank KJC42892