“Go enjoy”

Squid Lips Overwater Grill
Ranked #9 of 454 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This rambling eclectic island style restaurant building complete with thatched roofs, mahogany bars, private beach, outside deck and band stand and some funky decor--is part of the historic Oleander Hotel that occupied this gorgeous waterfront property since 1925. Multiple dining areas and the ability to handle large parties offer something for everyone. Daily entertainment, island drinks, cold beer, toes in the sand, fresh fish and Floribbean cusine from our scratch kitchen prepared by one of the area's most popular restaurants and served by friendly staff--Squid Lips, where the locals eat and drink. Come by boat or car.
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We had 2 visits on our trip to the area. The first on a cold day when we ate inside, and the second on a warm day when we were able to linger outside. Very satisfied with pretty much everything on both occasions. Great to watch the ospreys fishing in the bay.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,407)

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Seriously great location!!!! Squid Lips is in an old hotel with a very cool decor - and right along the water!!! The food was very good - especially their rolls; and the portions we large - especially their sweet potatoes (ginormous!). The meal was a bit pricey but I felt like that was okay because of the atmosphere. The service was a bit lacking and our waitress forgot to bring us the items we requested but we eventually got all we asked for. There is a fishing pier that you can take a stroll on afterwards which is a nice way to close out an evening.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We went to Squid Lips at about 4:15 pm on a Wednesday. The hostess offered to seat us at a table in the dining room or we could sit on the bar side. There was only one table on the bar side that did not have a "reserved" sign on it. We sat at that table, but talked about moving to the dining room. The kind young waiter let us know that it wasn't happy hour on the other side...seriously? Does the beer come from somewhere else over there? Needless to say, we opted to stay where we were to enjoy happy hour prices. The food was good, but not spectacular. The menu on the bar side is limited to mostly "lightly breaded and deep fried" items. I had a fried clam strip basket and my husband had a pulled pork sandwich. Both were okay, but NO ONE came in to sit at ANY OF THE RESERVED TABLES while we were there. Between that and the one-sided happy hour, we will visit many other restaurants before returning to Squid Lips.

1  Thank Peggy S
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stopped in twice on our visit to the area. I wouldn't care if the food isn't good, which it is good, I simply LOVE the place. It is so quaint. The decor is so neat!! You can eat inside the dining area or by the bar. Which there are three areas with a bar. There are two menus, so if you want the regular menu, you have to eat in the dining areas designated, or if you want to eat outside or by the bar, you have a different menu to choose from. (We ate inside in the dining area on the regular menu. I can not tell you about the other menu as we have always dined on the regular menu.) This restaurant is located on the river. Has great views! Now on to the food. They tell me everything is the same, but I feel there is something different since my last visit. The bread served with the meals, which the other times I have eaten here, was outstanding, but this time it seemed, what can I say, boring? It was not like I remembered the other years I have been here. Seemed to lack some flavor. The first meal I had on the 17th was the stuffed shrimp. Was good. Sides ok. The veggies were a bit "rubbery". My son had the lobster and crab cakes, he said it was very good, but he was glad he ordered two, as he would have left hungry with only ordering one. My husband ordered grouper. He said his meal was alright. The second visit we made, this vacation, (on Tuesday ) we ordered the special which was shrimp. The last time we visited, three years ago on the day they do this special, it was all you can eat. This has changed, but there was a generous portion, so don't worry. With the special you can only get fries. You have to pay extra if you want a different potato. The server said the policy is NO substitutes. Their other potato was the fried red potato. They were dry. I think I would have been okay just to stick with the fries and saved the extra cost. They are a bit on the more expensive side. But like I said, I love this place no matter what. It has the ambiance of days gone by. I hope this place always is there when I visit Melbourne. It would be such a shame if this place were to go out of business. It is definitely worth visiting.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I was visiting a friend in Melbourne, FL who took me to lunch at Squid Lips. When she first suggested it, I thought the name was clever, but after having lunch there I was impressed with the food. I had the 'fish' special for that day and it was done to perfection. Not overcooked like happens sometimes with fresh fish. The service was friendly without being overbearing. Altogether it was a delightful experience.