“Small zoo, but a wonderful time for the...”
Review of Brevard Zoo

Brevard Zoo
Ranked #1 of 111 things to do in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: Brevard Zoo is home to more than 650 animals, representing 165 species. Feed gentle giraffe and lorikeets, go kayaking or take a paddle boat ride and ride the train. Get wet in Paws On, enjoy daily animal encounters and be sure to experience our rhino encounters.
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Small zoo, but a wonderful time for the whole family! You must kayak through Africa! We had a great time with 3 kids ranging from 5-14!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,061)

Reviewed July 16, 2010

During our vacation we went to the beach, amusement parks, and museums, but my 4 year-old and 9 year-old agree that this was their favorite part of our trip. This is a very small zoo compared to what we are used to but the interactions with the animals made it great. This zoo is part of the Zoo reciprocity program so if you are a member at another zoo you can get in for half price or free. Make sure you bring quarters to buy food for the various animals that you can feed. My kids loved feeding the fish, deer, giraffes, lorikeets, and cockatiels. Make sure to bring a swimsuit for the little ones for the cute water area for kids. My husband and son paid extra to kayak around part of the zoo (20 minutes) and they loved the view of the animals from the kayak. My daughter wanted to kayak but it is for 5 years and up. We will definitely come back.

1  Thank McCarthySJ
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Took a drive over to the zoo for a family outing with my 3 month old and was surprised at how great the zoo was. While there are only 4 themed animal areas, it was very well layed out with great animals. It is definitely well kept by a friendly staff. For kids, there is a decent sized water play area that I will certainly return to. One very important item: it is very affordable AND free parking, something you do not see much in family entertaint anymore.

Reviewed April 23, 2010

Me and my best friend had a great time feeding the giraffes and lorikeets. The best zoo I have been to in a long time. The exibits look real natural ad seamless. It was also the first petting zoo i've been to that has an armadillo!

2  Thank askew_kitty
Reviewed March 22, 2010

We went to the Brevard Zoo today because it was too chilly to go to the beach! Our three kids, ages 12, 10 & 6 enjoyed the zoo quite a bit. They loved the aviary - feeding the lorikeets was a special treat, as they landed on us, drinking fruit nectar from the little cups we purchased for $1.00 each. We also purchased a "seed stick" for $1.00 to feed the cockateels. (Our 6-year-old daughter enjoyed this more than her brothers, who preferred the more colorful and vocal lorikeets.)

The paths through the zoo are a series of boardwalks that meander through dense foliage. Very nice, and shaded, so the sun is bearable. Various animals are situated in large cages on either side of the boardwalk, and the zoo is divided into sections by geography/habitat. The cheetahs, wolves, jaguar, and marmosets were the favorites of my family.

Kayaking was closed in the Florida section when we were there, but the Africa section kayak station was open, but we didn't have time to partake.

The best part of the zoo, in my opinion, is new the Paws on Play section. My kids loved it, and so did we parents! There is a section with shallow pools for water play, with various ways to get sprayed, an aquarium full of beautiful local species of fish and rays, a tank of sea creatures that you can hold (with assistance from a zookeeper), and - our favorite - the petting area. Friendly alpacas and goats let you touch them to your hearts content. A monitor lizard creeps about, and there are 4 or 5 armadillos are corralled separate area in the center that you can enter at designated times. This was my favorite part of the day. What amazing and friendly creatures!

We were disappointed that the giraffes weren't at the observation deck for us to feed. We purchased the special crackers ($2), and waited 30 minutes, but they never showed up. The keeper told us they were hiding behind a grove of trees and would show up eventually. When they didn't, we returned the crackers.

There were a few things about the zoo that I didn't care for. 1) The price. It cost almost $60 for our family of 5 to enter the zoo. This is a very small zoo, and I feel the price was a bit steep for a family. A family discount would have made it more palatable. We didn't do the kayaking, because it would have cost us another $30 ($6.00 each). 2) The noise from the highway. Route 95 is adjacent to the zoo, and the woosh of the cars and rumbling of truck engines is ever present. This really ruined the atmosphere for my husband and me, and the kids commented on it, as well. I know they can't do anything about this, but it definitely took away from our enjoyment of the park.

All in all, it was a nice way to spend a few hours, though I can't say we'd ever go back again.

2  Thank Cheri O