“Great food and drinks”

Ranked #5 of 451 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: American, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: Half restaurant. Half beer bar. Half biergarten. The third half is new.
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Had their chicken wings and doghouse brew. We would recommend this place highly. Coconut shrimp and beef stew very good. Nice beer selection. Our sever Nancy wax excellent.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We two couples went here for lunch on a Monday. Between us we ordered a burger, a salad with grilled chicken, a wrap with mahi mahi and a turkey rubuen. We considered them all to be excellent meals, quite reasonably priced and the service was very good. We sat in their ouste eating area which was quite pleasant (and not apparent from the front of their location). We will be back here later in the week to try some other menus items.

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Visited this locale to watch our Chiefs lose in the playoffs on multiple TVs. Very friendly waitress who supplied us with beer samples from the long list of choices. Tab was less than advertised prices and consumed many special pilsners. Appetizers very reasonably priced and delicious. An enjoyable pub experience!

Reviewed December 24, 2013

I have read the recent reviews describing bad service, but I decided to give it a chance based on other previous positive reviews of the food. We were initially seated with a bad waitress. I got up to leave, but luckily another wonderful server caught us at the door and convinced us to stay. We ended up having a very enjoyable evening in their non-smoking outside garden. I'm so glad we did not leave.

It appears that there is probably one or two bad apples in the wait staff. They really need to fire them. The other staff we met appear to genuinely love their job and their customers and it shows.

Despite some of the reviews, the place was packed Monday evening. We started the evening at an inside table and ended up outside. Both places were nice to eat. In the garden they need a little work including table tops without slats and buckets on the table to throw away used sugar packets and straw wrappers. Other than that it was a very nice place to enjoy the evening. I'm not a dog owner now, but I liked that many people brought their well behaved dogs to eat with them in the garden.

Great selection of local and regional beers at good prices. I like that the daily beer menu was detailed with good descriptions including ETOH content. Our waitress was able to answer all my questions intelligently about the beers and offered tastes before I purchased. I found a few beers that I was really interested in and ended up with a local beer made at a coffee shop that was really a treat.

Part of their menu is a rotating selection of exotic hamburgers depending on the meat they get in. When we went they had wagyu (you may know it as Kobe) beef. You get it with any topping included (fois gras and applewood bacon was extra). For $15 I got mine with some sauteed onions lettuce tomato and mayo. I was really able to enjoy the meat which was cooked perfectly medium rare with just the right amount of seasoning (salt). What a totally luxurious burger and so much better than the one served at my local Bonefish in my opinion. Other regular cow burgers were about half that price and also include any topping as above. I loved their onion rings side.

In addition to the burgers they have a nice menu of much better than bar food. You can see the menu on their web site. My wife had the coconut shrimp and she really loved it. They treated the kids well with a nice little kids menu at about $4. Drink was not included, but I would have really loved it at $5 with a milk, root beer or juice.

I was resistant to going here for months because of it's location in the corner of the Winn Dixie and Walmart shopping center and fear of it being a smoky bar. This place is nothing like I expected and everything more. It has a welcoming local feel. It was well run (sans our first bad waitress), clean and busy. Good for a nice evening with some friends that won't cost you a fortune and also a great place for the family or a date. I'll be taking out from here and will be back soon with the family or friends.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

On Sunday, December 8, 2013 my wife and I ate lunch at Coasters Pub & Biergarten in Melbourne, Florida. We were one of the first to enter the restaurant shortly after it opened at noon. We seated ourselves on the upper level and were soon met by our waitress. Before I continue this review I want to mention that we have previously eaten at this restaurant and the the food and service were excellent. However, on this occasion, we could not have received worse service. First, the waitress confused our draft beer orders and gave my wife my India Pale Ale draft while I received her beer. We quietly switched beers after a few swallows. Then our waitress returned to our area and began taking orders from several other tables that were seated well after us. She finally took our order and left. About 20 to 25 minutes later, after all the other tables had received their food, our waitress returned and said that she forgot what we ordered and asked us to remind her. She again left and came back with our food after the groups at the other tables had either finished their lunches or had left the restaurant. When I finally received the hamburger that I ordered it was cooked well-done, and not medium rare as I had requested. Also, when I unwrapped my tableware, I noticed that the knife had some type of yellow residue which had caused the napkin to adhere to the knife. This caused me to question why the wait staff did not pay more attention to the task of preparing clean tableware to place on the tables. We wondered if there is also a problem with the restaurant's dishwasher. We finally received our bill and left the restaurant about one and one-half hours after we entered. It will be a long time before we return to Coasters Pub and Biergarten in Melbourne.