“Returning for more Schnitzel!!”
Review of Edelweiss

Edelweiss
Ranked #40 of 450 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: German
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 12, 2011

This is our favorite German restaurant by far. The pork schnitzel is so delicious, fresh & huge portions. The spatzle noodles are my favorite. We return here every visit to Melbourne & always have a great meal. This charming little place has such friendly service too from the chef husband & waitress wife & daughter! Thanks for another wonderful German meal!

Reviewed November 13, 2011

We lucked into this restaurant the week after it opened. I lived in Germany and really enjoy the cuisine. They did not let us down. I've taken my wife to Germany twice and she agrees this is the most authentic we have had other than being in Germany. We haven't any dish we would avoid or not recommend to a friend.

Reviewed July 9, 2011

Excellent food, good portions and wonderful interior atmosphere authentic German food with a great chef from Austria, food made fresh

Reviewed July 9, 2011

I have driven by the Edelweiss many times but never had the desire to eat there. The outside of the restaurant looked run down and they are only open on certain days of the week for dinner. After getting a hankering for some good German cuisine, I decided to give it a try. I am full blooded German and grew up with the Rouladen in the rich brown gravy, weinerschnitzel, goulash, potato dumplings, red cabbage and potato pancakes that my mother made for us as kids. Boy, oh boy, was I disappointed!. I'm not sure what part of Germany the cook came from, but the food was below average. A basket of bread was brought to the table and it tasted "old" to me. Did not like it at all! I ordered the Rouladen w/ 2 sides ($17.50) ; the meat was tough, the gravy was bland, the spaetzle were okay and the red cabbage had too much vinegar. It was so strong it took my breath away and I started coughing. Instead of potato dumplings and pancakes, there were french fries and apple sauce as side items? That's not German food.
My guest ordered the smaller portion of goulash with one side ( $11.50) and it the gravy was "red" (way too much paprika) and the meat was "mushy" looking; like it had been cooked for days. It looked like Alpo dog food. WAY, way overpriced for what you get. The dessert was good, Appel Strudel with whip and the smallest dollop of ice cream for an extra $ 2.00 which brought the slice of one piece of strudel to $ 7.00 bucks!! Bottom line, if you have never eaten German food before, you might not know any better. If you are true blue German, this will be very disappointing to the palate. Perhaps some of the other dishes tasted better, but I will never know because a return trip is out of the question. The decor is run down and the ceiling looks like it needs to be repaired. The meal was not worth the $ 50 bucks that I had to dish out with a tip. Very disappointing indeed :(

6  Thank LadyGrO
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Maybe all the great reviews got my hopes up. While the food at Edelweiss is very good, there are a few things that prevent me from writing a 5 star review. First-----

Price: True.....I don't know what it takes to run a non-chain restaurant....we all know that food prices are rising. Still with a entree range of $11 to $17+ I doubt a party of two could escape for under $50. Our sampler platter was $44. We did have few leftovers----but not many.

Food Selection: This is the House of Meat----and I mean that in a good way. But I don't understand some of the choices on our sampler platter. French Fries???? Really??....doesn't sound very Germanic to me!! Then there were 2 slabs each of turkey & ham----very plain and basic---like something you would see at your typical American Thanksgiving spread.

Sure---I'll go back to Edelweiss someday. But with their prices and limited hours this will be a "special occasions" only kind of place for me.

1  Thank otownrob