“The Perfect Gift” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Matlacha
Cape Coral, Florida
“The Perfect Gift”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

My kids and I surprised my husband with a two night stay in the famous Suite #3 at the Bridgewater Inn. It was the best birthday present we have ever given to anyone. Our family had a blast. The hospitality was outstanding. Our neighbors were even invited to come out and join us for the fun. We caught lots of fish including a rare 62 inch sawfish. The accommodations were perfect for a large family. We are looking forward to staying there again soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Right on the water, watch the sun set and watch it rise over the water. Dolphins and manatee are there also for your viewing pleasure. Everything close by, places to eat, artsy shops to brouse, bait shops for your fishing supplies, even nightime entertainment. Well worth the trip.

• Stayed May 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Like johnny Cash says; "I've been everywhere man"! BUT I ALWAYS COME BACK TO THE BRIDGEWATER!!!

Drive to Heathrow (STRESS!), flight to Miami (STRESS!), drive from Miami (not so bad), arrive at the Bridgewater (RELAX), I'm home. This place never changes and that makes it all the better.

Great views, rooms, fishing and I've not found anything that Bob and Diane (the management) won't do, or try to do for you yet. We have been coming for at least 8 years and this management team just make the stay a level above! As soon as we leave we start talking about coming back.

Matlacha offers so much in itself, be it art, collectables, restaurants and some of the best ice cream on the planet. The people are welcoming and a real pleasure to be with, especially all the guys at the best bar ever "Bert's".

Stay here and find a new version of relaxed.

Room Tip: Room 2 & 3 are just the best!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Beautiful Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We just returned from the bridgewater inn after a long weekend with my wife and son as well as other friends that stayed in another room. We were attending a sporting event in nearby Cape Coral and wanted to stay in a hotel that would lend itself to some relaxation rather than the usual off interstate chains. Well, we found a true gem.

After reading other reviews I made my reservation for room 3, the corner suite.

We arrived close to dark and were greeted with a warm smile and were already set up in the suite with keys on the table and a light on. We opened the door to the suite and all I can say is "OMG"! The room... err the suite - WAS HUGE!!! You walked in the door and were facing three double sliding glass door to your own private dock! and as they say "A MILLION DOLLAR VIEW" The living room had a small (but we never turned it on!) LCD TV, nice couch with a queen pull out and an oversized comfy leather chair. In the center was a large glass and stone coffee table with matching end tables. Just past the living area in the same great room was a dining room table with seating for six. Large tropical ceiling fans nicely appointed both rooms. The kitchen was off to the left and had a full size electric stove and oven, microwave, double sink, toaster, coffee maker, full size refrigerator and freezer, and plenty of closet space with cooking ware, dishes, glasses and utensils.

Off to the right of the kitchen was another couch (loveseat size) that also pulled out into a bed. There was a single bedroom with a queen bed, double bed and an end table. This room was also appointed with a large ceiling fan. In the hall there was a storage area with dresser, a full size roll away bed if needed and plenty of shelf and hanger space. Adjoing this area was a full size bath with tub/shower combo.The room was stocked with towels for four as well as linens for all bedding if needed. You could easily sleep 8 in this ovesized suite and there still would be plenty of floorspace.

Everyday we would place a plastic bin outside the door with soiled towels and they would return with clean ones as well as more coffee for the next day. You are also given a bag of fishing rags for your use and those would be replaced daily as well if needed. Speaking of fishing.... If you like to fish this is the place for you... even if you dont it is as well!!!! As I mentioned we have our own private dock but the entire hotel is built on wooden pilings over the water so every room has a dock right out their front door! Fishing was good, not stellar, but good. We didnt have the moon on our side as well as not having live bait the first night. We caught Sheephead, Speckled Trout, something that looked like a snakehead fish and of course channel and sail cats. There were plenty of mullet around as well as angel fish under the dock.

Speaking of marinelife I just cant skip the amount of dolphin we saw. Even as close as 15 feet from our front door they were everywhere. The Inn is next to the Matlacha (pr. Matt-La-Shey) bridge (Hence the namesake of the inn as well...) and is called the most fished bridge in Florida... and I can attest it is... there were always at least 25 people fishing at any one time even into the early hours of the morning. Water moves through here fairly well creating an excellent place for the dolphin to position themselves for good feeding. If you have a boat or want to charter one there are miles of mangroves around that produce great catches of redfish as well as snook. If youre not an avid fisherman or woman dont fret.... anyone can fish here and the Bridgewater inn will even loan you a fishing pole, net and bait bucket so you can join in the fun.

The town is truly a page out of old florida. Quaint shops with something for everyone, good restaurants and plenty of seafood as well as food off the hoof. We tried Berts one night for music and dinner and were very suprised for a local establishment. Beer was cold, grouper was awesome and the fried mac n cheese appetizer was to die for. I dont want to make my review about restaurants so i leave you with there are a number of above average places all moderately priced.

So if youre looking for a hotel thats a bit colorful and an exceptional value... walk, run, kyak, motor or just drop inn to the Bridgewater Inn.

Room Tip: Choose a suite first as they have the best views, second to those select a room on the right side of...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

I had a fantastic stay at the Bridgewater Inn. Bob and Diane were great hosts and were always available for any questions. I stayed in room #2 which looks out over the water. It has two beds and a pull out couch plus a living area and dining area next to the kitchen. This room could easily accommodate a large family. The ability to keep your boat right in front of your door is a huge plus. Bert's grill is two doors down, so music, drinks, and food are only a 1 minute walk away. Matlacha is a wonderful community that welcomes fisherman with open arms. I will be back for sure. Thanks again Bob for your hospitality!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We picked this place because of its proximity to the Tropic Star ferry to Cayo Costa, and because it was recommended. It's fun because it's perched on a pier over the water, and the outside has fishing-related decor. If you have a boat, you can park it below the motel. The deck has chairs where you can relax and/or fish. Our room was not fancy, and the bathroom was cramped, but everything was clean. Walking distance to the great Pizza Bella and many fun shops.

• Stayed February 2013
Boothbay Harbor, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Unique and a bit rustic, yes, but talk about FUN! Every room is within 10 feet of the water, and it's no swamp, but beautiful clear, fresh, ocean. Every single day I saw dolphins swimming and playing, and also a couple of manatees. I could have stocked an aquarium with the fish I caught right outside my room, and I wasn't even trying. (I used a pole from the motel and bought live shrimp bait across the street.) Bob our host was friendly and helpful. Walked across the bridge to Old Fish Market Marina, for breakfast and lunch, live afternoon music, and few ice cold beers. (P.S. Elvis filmed "Follow That Dream" here, and I am pretty sure I saw at least two of his sons and 1 grandson fishing off the bridge and working at the fish market.)

Room Tip: Our room was great, but next time I might spring for the luxury corner suites. I peaked in and they...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matlacha
Knoll's Court Motel
Sundial Beach Resort & Spa
Sundial Beach Resort & Spa
#7 of 19 in Sanibel Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,058 reviews

Been to Bridgewater Inn? Share your experiences!