“Motel 8 with a Hampton Inn label”

Baymont Inn & Suites Fort Walton Beach Mary Esther
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mary Esther
Baltimore, Maryland
“Motel 8 with a Hampton Inn label”
Reviewed June 19, 2011

As the title of my review states, this hotel is literally a "Motel 8" with a Hampton Inn label slapped on it. I have been to numerous Hampton Inn's on business and this was by far the most disappointed I have been. My room (as most rooms are) was facing the road and you can hear the traffic well. The beds are horrible is an understatement, the bathroom is small, and the smell in the room is un-describable. The only highlight was the breakfast which is standard at all Hampton Inn's. My recommendation is to pass up on this hotel if you are in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Langasjo, Sweden
Reviewed February 23, 2011

A very nice and easygoing hotel, good quality for the money, close to beaches, without being on the beach..
Perfect if you want to stay out of the crowds and explore the area.
Very nice staff and a good breakfast.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
On the Road
Reviewed August 21, 2010

The front desk staff was very good. The room had a funny smell and was definately and older property. The hi speed internet was free and fast. I would make sure that you book a room on the side of the hotel that is not on the very busy road.
I grabbed a breakfast to go, which was good, so I cannot comment on the hot breakfast.
It was a decent place to stay, but I would have been better off in Destin for the same price.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We stayed one night until we could get into our condo where we're staying for a week. I recommend it for that. The room was clean, bed comfortable. Breakfast included hot waffles. Pool was small and right next to a busy street. Rate was reasonable for a good room in the area. Refrigerator and microwave in room.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Key Largo, Florida
Reviewed January 4, 2009

After driving 14 hours, we were looking for a chain hotel we liked. The Hampton Inn looked nice from the outside. I inquired about price and was offered a $79.99 room rate (with tax, $90). The king bed room I was given faced the highway. Upon closing the door to the room, we could still hear the highway traffic. OK, back to the front desk for a room change.

We were given a room around the backside (where it seems ALL other guests already were). That room reeked of urine! As pets were not allowed, I grimaced to think where the smell originated. OK, back to the front desk again.

This time, we were given a 2nd floor room on the backside which was fine. It showed the slightest signs of wear, but was clean and quiet. The bed was very nice and not sagging. It was fine for one night and priced appropriately.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — rooms facing the highway can hear the traffic
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
CA
Reviewed November 22, 2008

Comfortable beds and good breakfast. Overall this hotel is very nice.

• Liked — Beds were very comfortable.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 2, 2008

My wife and I just checked out EARLY from the Hampton Inn at Mary Esther. We originally booked a room at this hotel for four nights for the July 4th weekend.

When we first checked into the room at 3pm, my wife (due to her sense to allergies) noticed a moldy oder from the room. We went to the front desk to report the problem and they placed us in a different room. We checked the new room and come to find out - the same result with a strong moldy oder. We tried again to report the problem and the manager stated that it was normal for hotels near the beach to have that smell and that all the rooms will have the same smell. To alleviate the oder, they sent housekeeping to spray "febreeze" into the room.

With all this being explained to us, we decided to try to stay one night there to see how things were going to be. By 8 pm that same night, the "febreeze" wore off and the moldy oder returned. It was very tough to rest that night. The next morning, my wife and I started to get sick. I immediately went down to the front desk and checked out. With the 100% Hampton guarantee, we were not forced to pay anything. Instead, we ended up staying in a Candlewood Suite near the beach for the remainder of our trip.

This Hampton Inn surely does not meet the standards of other Hilton chains. I am a business traveler and frequently stay at Hilton hotels, but this is not worth your money. For a rate of $165 per night, you and your family only deserve the best.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Moldy room and horrible customer service.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple

Comfort Inn and Suites
Comfort Inn and Suites
#13 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Walton Beach
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Walt...
#3 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Mary Esther-Fort Walton Beach
Wingate by Wyndham Destin

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Fort Walton Beach Mary Esther? Share your experiences!