“Relaxing, enjoyable...”

Eagle's Nest on Marco Beach
Winter Park, FL
“Relaxing, enjoyable...”
Reviewed February 16, 2010

We went to Eagle's Nest while I was pregnant and it was fun to the see families there doing what we would be doing soon. Favorite part was cooking in the impeccably clean kitchen and eating on the oceanfront balcony watching the killer westcoast sunsets. (All rooms face the ocean so all views are wonderful.) No restaurant on property - more like a condo, but each day they had a fun activity and treat for the kids (i.e. root beer floats.) Small, but cozy and well planned pool area. Gorgeous beach! Decent attractions - fishing, boat trips, but we didn't take advantage of that. Great restaurants in area (but not as much on the water.) Didn't matter to us, we had our own oceanfront place in our room at Eagle's Nest. (PS - loved the washer/dryer too - rooms have a great layout.)

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MHDom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Washington D.C.
Reviewed December 20, 2009

We have been going to Eagle's nest for 20 years and we love it. We look forward to going back every year. We usually travel with 15 to 18 people. There are plenty of great places to eat within walking distance of the hotel. The rooms are a little dated, but they are always remodeling them.
My biggest complaint is there is not enough space/chairs around the pool. Don't get me wrong the pool is beautiful and the 2 hot tubs are nice. It would just be nice to sit together as a large group.
It's a great place for families. There is a kids group (fun bunch), bingo, and family parties. Not alot for teenagers.
There are plenty of activities available on the beach for a fee. I recommend going to Tigertail Beach and renting a kayak. They also bring in a massage therapist and a very nice lady that does manis and pedis.
We have never had a bad vacation here and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank slk996
richmond,virginia
Reviewed December 6, 2009

We are members of the Hilton Grand Vacation Club, and booked with Eagles Nest thru them. We arrived on Dec 4th, 2009, and had no problems getting right into our villa. I had read the other reviews just a few days before checking in , so was a little nervous as to exactly what to expect, including bringing my own pillows "just in case".

What a surprise! The villa was very tastefully decorated, updated fairly recently, from what I can tell from all the old reviews. (Just as an FYI for everyone, the villas, according to the hotel person I called the week before we arrived, are approx 1400 sq feet , vs the towers, which are 1000 sq feet, but you get a better view of the Gulf of Mexico from the towers, when up above floor 4 or 5. )

According to the "project updates" paper on the table, all the villa mattresses have been replaced , and the tower mattresses are either by now replaced or getting replaced, the villa elevator modernization was completed in Sept 09, new flattop ranges installed in the villas, and tower flattop ranges installation began in May 2009, so may be done by now, also. The reviews that had issues with the equipment, like the pots and pans, must have been taken into consideration by now, because everything we had was in very good shape, nothing broken, very usable Revere ware pans, etc. Could tell everything was fairly new.

Again, according to the "project updates" ,television cables lines have been replaced throughout the property, and new cable has been run to guest bedrooms for installation of TV''s into the guest bedrooms, which our villa, thankfully, had at this time, so maybe they have all been done by now . My older daughter was with us, staying in that room, so, as her taste in morning shows was different than ours, and she also stays up quite late, I was very pleased to see that was not going to be an issue. TV Internet access has been boosted, so access is available even from the lanais. Our mattresses, sheets, and pillows were in great shape, just like the ones we have come to expect from any of our stays at any of the Hilton hotels, so we were very pleased with the beds and bedding.

The villa had a great view out thru the screened in lanai, so we were overlooking the courtyard, which included the pool, hottub, lounge chairs, all very well landscaped with flowers, tropical palm trees, etc, so quite relaxing and inviting to just relax in the comfy lounge chair on the lanai and read, (or call my "jealous" sister who was at home in Minnesota in 19 degree weather, while I was enjoying the 80 degree warmth!) We could still see the Gulf waters/beach between the palm trees, so , while not an unobstructed view, still a very pretty tropical view.

Everything was well stocked, correctly, and the microwave also looks to be pretty new, and , I'm guessing they have improved alot , again, since some of those older reviews, as whole kitchen, including the oven, the frig, and the microwave were spotless. Everything throughout the 2 bedroom villa that we saw was clean and well maintained and in good working order, and exactly what I would expect from being a member of Hilton Grand Vacation Resort Club.

I HAVE been welcomed a little more warmly into some of the other locations we have used thru HGVC. The check in staff were certainly courteous, of course, just not overly friendly or warm. However, we didn't really need to have alot of interaction with them , anyway, except to get the key. It just felt like we were just checking into any interstate hotel, but, as I said, we didn't need anything other than the room key anyway, so it didn't matter. I did have a bit of a problem with being on the first floor villa, because there is no elevator, and, even though it is considered a first floor, there is a laundry room and and open garage type place for parking at the parking level, so guests have to climb 1 flight of steps to get to this first floor, with all the luggage, groceries, etc, which I did not expect. My husband has had a double bypass, and I have ruptured discs in my back, but when I called the front desk to explain my dilemma, they immediately sent 2 gentlemen over to help us unload the car and get the suitcases up the stairs for us, so they responded very promptly and courteously . I also pointed out that one of the two lamps in the master bedroom had a burned out bulb, and they had the new bulb in within 5 minutes, so they were very quick to respond to issues.

As far as the complaints about the tower elevators I had read about, I did take a ride up the tower to look at the view from the top of the tower, and the elevators arrived immediately, and went up quickly, so I don't know if they are "fixed", or if I was just lucky at the time I was in them, although checking in we took the elevator up to the lobby, and it was there pretty quick then, as well.

The beach was wonderful, lots of fantastic shells that we don't normally see on the Atlantic coast. There is a new shower, foot wash, and shell washing station installed on the beach side of the villas, so that was nice to not come back to the room all sandy and have the shells already rinsed off. It has been raining for the first 2 days of our trip, unusual for this time of year for this much rain according to the local weather channel, but that has not spoiled our trip at all, and , hey, we are at the beach, I expect to get a little wet!

There are so many restaurants within a few minutes walk that the restaurant issues I read about did not bother us in the least. We ate at Captain Bryan's, just up to the next stoplight, across the street, and the food was really good, as was the atmosphere and the help. We also really enjoyed Mozart's restaurant, in the Publix shopping center within 5 minutes drive from here, for some VERY well prepared, freshly made German/Austrian/ Italian food. Da Vinci's was good, also. We also tried Quinn's next door at the Marriott, just walked across the beachfront to their front, and walked on in, after having been shelling so not dressed up or anything , and the woman told us, " as
we tell our patrons, 'no shoes, no shirt, NO PROBLEM,' come on in!!", and the food was just fine and reasonably priced. I prefer to cook breakfast myself, and we like to leave the resort for dinner, rather than spend our whole vacation in just the resort, so I can see the town or the area I am staying in, so no "on premises" restaurant really didn't matter to us, as we probably wouldn't have used it anyway. I was surprised to find out from the front desk that the only delivery they have in the area is pizza, as I would have expected that with that many restaurants and resorts around, that we would have had a better choice if we chose delivery, but that is not the resorts fault.

We visited the Edison /Ford Estates, took the train murder mystery dinner ride in Fort Myers(call ahead for reservations. books quick), did a manatee/everglades ride, and the Ringling Bros Florida mansion (requires reservations for the tour of the mansion itself-call ahead).

We did not use the exercise equipment, or anything from that room, but apparently they have 2 new pieces of exercise equipment, and new pool and ping pong tables that are available.

All in all, we were very pleased with this Resort, with our accommodations,and our first visit to Marco Island and to the Eagles Nest Resort, and we all were able to kick back, relax, and just unwind and ENJOY!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
10 Thank loving-bears
Crystal Lake, IL
Reviewed October 16, 2009

We started our 2 week vacation here at eagles nest. This is an awsome place to be with, or without kids. If you have kids, there is always something to do. The beach is awsome. Nice white sand with seashells of all kinds. Pool is nice and even though there is not restaurant on site, they do offer daily lunch by the pool in the poolside hut. And the Marriott hotel is right next door. Plenty of restaurants on the island, Porkeys Last Stand is good!
Loved it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank mommynelie
Deerfield beach
Reviewed August 28, 2009

I stayed at this Hilton with some friiends that came down from New York. So we had 2 vehicles. Upon Arrival they issued a permit for on property parking for their car, and then issued me a pass for a lot down the street. It was like pulling teeth to get info out of the receptionist, ie where(straight down)? how far ?(about a half a mile)Is there a shuttle to get back to the hotel.(no) then there was the time issue we arrived earlier than the room was ready so we had to wait 40 mins. check in was at 3:00 pm and we finally got into our room at 3:40, we actually told the maids we would finish meanwhile our meat needed to be put in the freezer. The view was spectacular from the 8th floor. the two bedroom unit was sufficient for the four of us. The only other thing I had to do was calling maintenance to replace the filter which was filthy.(they came quickly) I would go again as marco Island is a retreat for the mind and body, interlaced with local wildlife (osprey,dolphin) made it a real treat. ps there is parasailing,jetski,sailing available for a fee.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank taste_advisor
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed January 6, 2009

This resort is really well located. We vacationed as a family - my husband, 12 year old son and 14 year old daughter. We all found something to do each day to keep us busy. The beach is beautiful. Chairs/umbrella are very expensive, but we were glad that we paid for the week ($100 for 2 chairs/1 umbrella) because they filled up very fast. There were never any open seats at the pool, but we find that at almost every resort we stay. We found everyone to be very helpful. The condo was very clean - seemed to be redone within the past year or so. We really liked the layout of the condo - giving everyone a view of the gulf. I would recommend you try to get a condo on the 4th floor or above in order to get the view.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — No pool chair availability
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank dotgar
gtgale, wehaWe owned fro 10 years a this resort and found it the best in Florida at Eagle's Nest on Marco Beach, responded to this review, January 23, 2009
We fell in love wth Eagles Nest 10 years ago and decided to buy 2 weeks there every Jan. It has always been perfectly run. Spotlessly clean and well mantained. The staff there are wonderful and bend over backwards to please us. The board members are doing a great job keeping the property up to date and well mantained. We cannot praise them enough for the dedicated work they put in to keeping their guests happy and the resort running well. If you ever decide to join us Im sure you will be just as impressed as we are with the ambiance and courteouness we are shown while holidaying there... give yourself a real treat and stay there some time. You will be glad you did... sincerely GtGale@aol.com
Bayonet Point, Florida
Reviewed September 7, 2008

We booked our week through our Marriott timeshare. We had a 10th floor 2 bedroom condo with a view not to be matched. The hotel does need some improvements especially no handicap accessiblity by the pool. The room was clean and staffed with enough linens and kitchen gear however we were appaled to learn you needed to either bring or purchase your own "toilet paper". I have been to many exchange timeshares and had never heard of that. After questioning the front desk they did give us 2 extra rolls. Our laptop did not work on the 10th floor but they did have 3 computers to use on the lobby level. The view from the screened porch was wonderful as being able to have breakfast and lunch there. The elevator situation is pretty bad, extremely slow with no ventilation. There are limited carts to unload you luggage when you arrive and when you leave. There is no TV in the second bedroom which is inconvenient for children or extra guests. We had wonderful meals at DaVinci's, Quinn's, Tokyo Inn, Irish Pub, Almost Famous Mels , Joey's Pizza and Snook Inn. We will definitely try the Marriott Timeshare either next door or a new one being built just down the road. We enjoyed ourselves in spite of some of the inconveniences and hopefully Eagles Nest owners pay attention to some details at their next meeting.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No in room internet access, outdated accommodation, no tv in 2nd bedroom, no restaurant
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple