“my favorite restaurant on the Island”
Review of Marco Polo Restaurant LLC - CLOSED

Marco Polo Restaurant LLC
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Laguna Beach, California
“my favorite restaurant on the Island”
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I can almost taste the Grouper as I write this review. The waiters and staff are the best on the Island by far. I have been going to The Marco Polo for years when I visit my parent's vacation home on the Island. Tom and Karen greet me as if I was family! My father, "Doc" Callaghan was a regular. He enjoyed the comraderie in the Lounge. If you want to have a great evening with excellent dining and service, you must include this restaurant at the beginning of your vacation so that you can return again during your stay.

2 Thank Ginger2727

Florida
“Best Food I have ever eaten”
Reviewed July 7, 2008

It was outstanding, the service was over the top. The food was incredible, so delightful that this was a highlight of our 3 day stay. Cheers.

tennessee
“Food was good - but over priced”
Reviewed June 17, 2008

The food was good, but compared to other local restaurants that we tried I felt that it was over priced. My friend and I spilt the Mozarella & tomatoe appetizer, each had one drink, seafood pasta as one entree and the stuffed shrimp as the other entree, no desserts or coffee for either of us. It was $125 total.

The atmosphere was like that of a 1950's supper club. We were told there was "live" entertainment and being at the beach we expected relaxed "beach / Jimmy Buffett type music" but it was a couple singing old show tunes. Not bad music, just was not our style.

The service was very good, but for the money I recommend Sasso's or Blue Fusion over this place.

1 Thank twosassyk
Chicago
“Spend you money elsewhere.”
Reviewed December 29, 2007

I don't mind paying a lot for a good meal. Unfortunately, that's not what we had at Marco Polo. They've done a nice job making the place look like a fancy restaurant -- dark mood lighting, waiters in tuxedos, dapper greeters at the door -- the food (which is, after all, the reason we were there) did not come close to living up to the hype. The first potential warning sign was the fact that the fish dishes were priced between $30-40. Mind you, we're not talking about exotic dishes here -- we're talking about grouper, mahi mahi, etc. With prices like that, it had better be damn good.

Ours was not. Three of us had the grouper, prepared three different ways. All three were tough and overcooked. Moreover, mine was covered in some kind of butter sauce that was not indicated on the menu, and ruined the taste. They did the same thing to my father-in-law's veal. The table salads were clearly taken right out of the bag.

The service was mixed. Our waiter was great right up until he took our dinner orders. But after the food was brought out (by servers), we didn't see him again until he came back to take dessert orders (we passed). He made no effort to check on whether the food was as we ordered it, whether we were enjoying it (we weren't), etc.

We ate at House of Mozart and Arturo's after Marco Polo. Save your money (our meal for 4, with drinks ran about $250), and head to either of those places, both of which had much better food.

2 Thank sdstein
Surprise, Arizona
“Nice with a bit of formality”
Reviewed March 15, 2007

We had a nice dinner, but it is fairly expensive and the prawns are better at Cafe DeMarco.

2 Thank cjjjbugs