“Seeing Nature” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Florida Backcountry Adventures

Florida Backcountry Adventures
Ranked #7 of 83 Tours in Marco Island
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a professional family friendly company that offers educational boat tours, kayak tours, shelling, hiking and photography eco-tours around Marco Island, the Ten Thousand Islands and the Everglades. More people choose us because we're experts at finding unique plants and animals in their natural habitats. All adventures are private, personalized and scheduled according to wildlife behavior and seasonal patterns for maximum enjoyment. See dolphins, manatees, sea turtles, alligators, birds, rare orchids and more. Advanced reservations are highly recommended. Open since 2001. Captain Alex Saputo owner/operator.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Seeing Nature”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

This was the first time our family came to Marco Island and Captain Alex helped us experience the best of the Everglades and "10,000 Islands". He is extremely knowledgeable about the wildlife and fauna in the area. We were able to do two wildlife experiences with him, both unique in its own way. We kayaked along the channels of the Everglades, and learned many news facts about the plants and ecosystems that exist. We then boated by many amazing islands, seeing many birds, manatees, dolphins, and sea turtles! He brought us to a great private island where we were able to shell and swim in the Gulf of Mexico. Overall this experience has made us want to come back and treasure these wonderful experiences again with Alex!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Kara V
Alex S, Owner at Florida Backcountry Adventures, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for your fantastic review. It was a lot of fun showing your family this incredible area. I really enjoyed our two adventures and everyone's enthusiasm not only about wildlife, but about the flora. I'm looking forward to seeing you in the future. Maybe an orchid hike???

New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Fabulous experience, lovely introduction to the surrounding nature”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

We all had a GREAT time. Alex is knowledgeable and personable. He really cared about our experience, and cared about what we truly wanted to do. It's not a standard cookie cutter tour. We had specific creatures and places we wanted to explore, and Alex was the perfect host and guide.
One day the weather forecast was not great, Alex called the day before to suggest we cancel and book for later in the week. He's a man of integrity, eager to provide quality service.
I highly recommend Florida Backcountry Adventures.

2 Thank Joe Y
Alex S, Owner at Florida Backcountry Adventures, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Thank you for writing this great review. It makes me extremely happy when someone notices the little things I do that set my trips apart from the masses. It's even more satisfying when everyone has a great time. I'm looking forward to future adventures with everyone! Thanks again!
Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best of the Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

Captain Alex provided a personalized tour with our interests and comfort in mind! This was a mini-reunion of 4 ladies who were interested in seeing some of the sights around the "10,000 islands ". His boat is sparkling and accommodating, and his descriptions were fantastic. He treated us to sights all along the way, including some secluded spots where we were the only ones present. Highlights were getting some dophins to play alongside our boat and learning to spot and identify the birds in the area.

Visited February 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thank you for writing this great review. It was fun to see old friends coming together in the beautiful surroundings of the Ten Thousand Islands. Maybe this could be an annual event??? Thanks again for all your questions and enthusiasm!
Rochester, Michigan
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Captain Alex Did It Again!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

We had another absolutely perfect day with Captain Alex shelling and checking out all the beautiful wildlife in the 10,000 Islands near Marco Island. Alex took us out to a sandbar where we found some of the best shells we have ever found. My sister even found a Junonia which she has been searching for for a long time.

He also took us to another island where the shells were piled up 6 feet high in some areas. We all had different techniques to shelling. One of my friends sits near the edge of the ocean and picks up shells as they roll in. My sister is a hunter and a digger. I go straight for the piles and could dig for hours. Alex found a beautiful Turban Welk which is very rare and he gave it to me. Neither one of us had ever seen one before so this was really a great to find!

We went to an island I now refer to as Wormshell Island and definitely found our share of wormshells. They are everywhere. Alex never disappoints.

Once on the boat again he took us to see an eagle's nest that had two babies in it. What a sight with one of the parents off on a branch close by keeping an eye on the babies. So majestic.

We then went looking for dolphins. Within minutes we were in the middle of a group of about 30 or 40 dolphins. Any way you looked they were popping up. He also got them to chase the boat and we got some really great photos and videos.

We also were luck enough to see sea turtles and have a sting ray jump up in front of our boat.

Alex never rushed us or acted like we were keeping him out too long. We were back on the docks just before the sun went down. It is a day that I won't soon forget. Such a beautiful, peaceful day on the water. If you are going to be in Marco Island I would highly suggest a trip with Captain Alex. Every single person I have ever taken on one of these adventures has said they can't wait to go out again. I almost hate to share this information since it is soon going to be impossible for me to book Alex as more and more people find out about him. But I have to say....Don't miss it!!!

1 Thank LBConaway
Thank you for writing this awesome review. You are the one "who did it again!" You and your crew are always a pleasure to work with. Thanks!!!!
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“The real Florida”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

Alex is professional and knowledgeable. Private is the way to go! We were blessed with seeing manatee, sea turtles, and dolphins. In.Their.Natural.Habitat. We look forward to kayaking with Alex in the FL backcountry! Thank you thank you thank you.

Visited March 2014
Thank you for a great review. I had a great time. It's always great to see animals in their natural habitat. I'm really looking forward to kayaking with everyone!