“Kayak Ten Thousand Islands”

Florida Backcountry Adventures
Ranked #7 of 85 Tours in Marco Island
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a professional family friendly company that offers educational boat tours, kayak tours, shelling, hiking and photography eco-tours around Marco Island, the Ten Thousand Islands and the Everglades. More people choose us because we're experts at finding unique plants and animals in their natural habitats. All adventures are private, personalized and scheduled according to wildlife behavior and seasonal patterns for maximum enjoyment. See dolphins, manatees, sea turtles, alligators, birds, rare orchids and more. Advanced reservations are highly recommended. Open since 2001. Captain Alex Saputo owner/operator.
Knoxville, Tennessee
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Kayak Ten Thousand Islands”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Alex,the owner, was already at the launch site with kayaks ready even though we were early and expecting to wait. We wanted a backwater experience that was away from other boats, people and noise. This trip delivered. We followed dolphins feeding in the shallow waters, passed egrets, herons and cormorants. Eagles and osprey soared overhead. Alex a adapted the trip to our skill level and never was impatient with our endless questions. He challenged us but always kept a watchful eye. He is a wonderful guide and all skill levels will get their money's worth with him in the lead.

Visited February 2014
Alex S, Owner at Florida Backcountry Adventures, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for your great review. It was a pleasure working with you and your husband one-on-one, making sure everyone had a safe and memorable experience. I have to add that you had an exceptionally great trip in terms of wildlife encounters. Two separate dolphin encounters, lots of wading birds, ospreys, an eagle...now that's memorable! On all my trips I always hope for a variety of wildlife, but sometimes in a kayak, you just can't cover enough water. Looking forward to another adventure in the near future!

Venice, Florida
“Beautiful sights and lots of fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

Was lucky to go on a shelling/eco tour in the Gulf with Alex.
He was able to show us beautiful scenery and wildlife. He knew exactly where to go to find what we were looking for! We even got the opportunity to see a group of dolphins corral school of fish and have a little snack :) It was definitely something you dont get to see often. Shelling was amazing and the wildlife was breathtaking.
Lots of fun and laughter- GREAT TIME!! Highly recommend!

Visited April 2013
Alex S, Owner at Florida Backcountry Adventures, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you for the great review. It's not every day I get the opportunity to take someone out from Florida. I really appreciate your enthusiasm when it comes to shelling. Sometimes it's hard to explain over the phone just how great they are here. Well, now you know! Looking forward to a future adventure with you. Remember you're not that far away!
Metamora, Michigan
“Simply Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

My family and I spent our first week in Anna Maria island for spring break then went down to visit some friends in Marco Island for couple days. My girlfriend took my son who just turned 13 out with Alex an a shelling adventure. It wasso it was amazing finding all the shells. But the best part of the adventure out was when Alex starting playing with the dolphins behind the boat. My son and I both were so amazed at how close they were. We almost felt like we could touch them. There was a mom and a baby that stayed with us for a really long time. It truly was amazing. Our journey out was done so we were headed back in when Alex spotted sea turtles mating above the water. He stop his boat and we just drifted in aaww watching as the turtles drifted closer and closer till they were right next to the boat. Even though our time was done Alex just waited wasn't in a hurry to get back. Just let us stay and enjoy such beauty. I would recommend anyone who is heading down to Naples Marco island area to get ahold of Alex and go out on an adventure with him. It is a one of a Kind experience. We are going back to Marco Island this year for spring break instead of Anna Maria so we can go on another adventure with Alex. Can't wait to see what the experience with him will be this year. Amazing I'm sure. Thanks so much Alex see you soon. The Zanettis

Visited April 2013
Thank you for coming on an adventure with me. Our trip was so full of great memories. I've never had an encounter with sea turtles like that day. Your kids were great and I can't wait to see you guys again this year.
Marco Island, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Excellent Hike in the Fakahatchee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Our family went for a hike off of Jane's Scenic Drive. We were treated to information about the local history and flora and fauna. We saw amazing wild life and enjoyed spending time with our guide, Alex. My 14 year old thinks Mr. Alex is the coolest guide out there and wants to be just like him someday. :) Thank you!

Visited December 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thanks so much for coming on a hike with me. It was a pleasure showing you and your kids a side of the Everglades most people are unaware of. Looking forward to another adventure with you in the near future.
Cleveland Heights, Ohio
“Had a great time and look forward to another adventure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

My family recently took an amazing shelling tour to a beautiful uninhabited island. There were shells everywhere and a stunning landscape. Captain Alex was very considerate and made sure that the day's itinerary fit our interests-and took us dolphin watching as part of our adventure. He seemed to really enjoy sharing his knowledge of the area including the history and wildlife. I highly recommend his tours!

Visited January 2014
Alex S, Owner at Florida Backcountry Adventures, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thanks for your review. Your family was great and you are right! I really enjoy sharing my knowledge and love of the area. I know there were a lot of choices out there and I'm really happy you chose to come with me. I always try to put that little extra into my excursions. Looking forward to another shelling adventure in the near future!