“Fresh contemporary atmosphere for drinks and appetizers”

Marek's Bar and Bistro
Ranked #29 of 121 Restaurants in Marco Island
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Have been wanting to try this place for a while. This week was the perfect opportunity when another Marco eatery was so disinterested in our business, we decided to take our business elsewhere. When we arrived at the Bistro our experience was completely different - we received a warm and friendly greeting from folks who obviously know how to value customers.
We sat at the Bar. The bartender "Woolfy" was very nice and explained the happy hour discounts and provided menus. We ordered Mussels with Thai Curry Cream Sauce and the Seared Blackened Tuna. The mussels came with a side of crusty bread for dipping. The Thai Curry Cream Sauce was absolutely delicious. The seared tuna was served with seaweed salad and baby greens. Overall the appetizers were good. I can't wait to go back and try some other food offerings.
The place was pleasant, bright, fresh, and clean, a change from some Marco establishments that rarely update furnishings and appear rundown. The outside area really looked inviting.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

After a bit of confusion related to the difference between the "bistro" (The Bar and Bistro) dining and "main dining room" ( Marek's Collier House) my wife and I found a seat at the bar in the bistro. The bartender "Q" was wonderful. Very attentive and made us feel very welcomed. We started our meal with the calamari. Excellent! Followed by salads, the house and tomato/mozzarella. Also Excellent! We each order the fish special for our entree. My wife had grouper and I had mahi-mahi both with scalloped potatoes. Wonderful! By far the best meal we have had in Marco. Everything we ate was great including the bread, nothing was left on our plate! Will absolutely visit again!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Finally tried Mareks after years of vacationing in Marco Island because they now have a bistro which is a little less fine dining. ( was afraid I'd be underdressed at the original Mareks, we don't bring dressy clothes while vacationing) Bistro very nice, server friendly and attentive, would recommend the duck rolls for sure. I had the lobster tail which was tasty but slightly over cooked, stacked potatoes for a side were different and good.

Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner for the first time here last night. Three of us had the crab stuffed shrimp wrapped in bacon and another friend had the grouper. All the food was delicious and our waiter, Doug, was charming and attentive! We will be back and recommend this place.

peter m, Owner at Marek's Bar and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thankyou for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your dining experience and we hope to have the pleasure of you company again soon.

Thanks
Peter J Marek

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Returned fanatically salty mussels back to the kitchen, and they brought back the exact same mussels with a slightly more watered down broth (we knew they were the same because of the two empty shells we had eaten and the cracked shells we both noticed) then patronized by the server saying mussels are naturally salty. I'm not an idiot, I know 'natural salty' vs. heavy hand with salt in the kitchen and this was definitely the latter - it tasted through and through so much that our lips puckered from the flavor before we could even taste the mussels, (which had no taste anyway as it was completely canceled out by the salt).

The apt response would have been a quick apology - not an excuse or remark - and fire up a new palatable plate of mussels. These dudes just rinsed the mussels, and returned them thinking we wouldn't notice, and made us feel awkward about it to boot.

Second, I ordered a fish stuffed with lobster , instead I get an odd pureed amalgamation of some kind of fish which has been poached and shoved inside the poached soggy remnants of another fish, covered in (another overly salty) brown sauce. No lobster to be seen, no lobster flavor, very fishy taste, odd texture like a hardened wet sponge. Extremely unappealing and blatantly false advertising - there was no mention on the menu of anything being pureed or poached, and so the resulting dish was the complete opposite of what one would imagine lobster stuffed filet of fish would be like. This was just gross.

The calamari were delicate and well fried / seasoned. This was a highlight. The blackened grouper we tried was also fine but I could have made it better at home at half the price.

This was a major disappointment as even with two returned dishes we still dished out forty five bucks on what amounted to one decent appetizer and plate and still had to go to another restaurant afterwards to have an entirely new meal because the food here was not working for us.

I hope it was an off night.

2  Thank southseas712
peter m, Owner at Marek's Bar and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Having noted that you sent back your dishes on Friday evening I made it a priority along with our chefs to sample the dishes that were returned . Where as we appreciate all our guest opinions there was nothing wrong with either of the dishes you sent back and neither were over salty . I had already spoken to you server on the evening and he informed me that he had explained the Bistro Swai was poached and stuffed with a lobster mousse ( he even mentioned that you were not familiar with the term "poached"). I'm not sure of these 'Dudes' that you speak of but our I can assure you that our 'Chef' do not add salt to either the Mussels or the Shellfish cream sauce ( which it appears you had trouble identifying).

Your Server insisted that the dishes be taken off the bill and we were happy to cover the cost of you meals although once again nothing was wrong with either of the dishes and we sold many that evening with no complaints . As mentioned your serve went out of his way to ensure that your dining experience was enjoyable and offered you alternative replacement dishes which you declined and for this you rewarded him with a $1 tip .

Having comped your meal the remaining bill of $44 that you refer to was for the alcoholic beverages you consumed and your remaining dishes from your party .

If you would like to discuss you experience further please feel free to contact myself directly .

Kind Regards