“Very Pleased”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Marco Island
Weston, Fl
“Very Pleased”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We were very pleased to have stayed at the Charter Club on Marco Island, while neither new nor fancy it is well maintained. The rooms were spotlessly clean and well equipped with everything in good working order. A convenience store and some average restaurants are nearby. Most importantly it is on a beautiful uncrowded beach, is quiet (if that's important to you, it is to us!) and you get to enjoy really fantastic sunsets and beach views from the comfort of your large porch. Some free facilities eg bikes and water sports equipment are included as is WiFi. We are sorry that beach chairs are not included, these are available for rent on the beach

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank johnandbabette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Illinois
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Full disclosure: We own 2 "Flex weeks" at this time-share property, but we use them and will never rent them.
There are two buildings at the Charter Club each with 10 stories of 4 2 br/2ba units per floor which are absolutely identical in every way. The property is a bit south of midway on the 2+ mile long beach. The North building sits to one side of the property and has a full view of the Gulf and beach from everyone unit. . The South building units have a decent view of the Gulf; however they aren't directly overlooking the beach. South units overlook the swimming pool, kid's pool and the hot tub area. There's a grill area (to be completely remodeled in 2013), two tennis courts, and the thing I love most... Hobie-Cat catamaran boats. These 14 and 16 foot boats are FREE to use to owners and guests at the hotel..(Lessons are available- if you've never sailed a Hobie, take a lesson!) In fact the kayaks, sailboards, and bicycles are free, too.
While there are two designated smoking areas on the property, the units themselves, the pool, and the patios are smoke-free.
The Marriott time share next door was just opened up a couple of years ago, and I don't understand why some folks want to spend big bucks when I'm overlooking the same beach for far less money... and they have to RENT the Hobie's at that place-and every other hotel on the beach that has Hobies also charges the guest to use them.
There's a lot to do in the area from in addition to the recreational and restaurant scene. There are several golf courses near by, and the shopping on the island and in nearby Naples might be attractive, too.
The rooms are generous size, the kitchen/dining area is lovely (remodeled with all new appliances and granite counter tops (oh whoopee.) There's a full patio for every unit, washer-drier in the unit, a great staff who wants to help in every way. Paul, the guy who runs the beachfront concessions has chaises and umbrellas for a reasonable rate, and the guys who help with the boats are friendly and helpful. There is no restaurant or bar on the property, but there are many places on the island from all price standpoints which serve good food... lots of them have been open on Marco for many years.
We shared two weeks every year with friends who were owners... for 16 years... and we finally bought our 2 weeks last year. It's a great place for two couples or for a family (sleeps six but no more allowed.) We definitely recommend this place if you like a relaxing week or two in the sun and in the pool or on the beach or on the water. You can spend more for perhaps a bit fancier place, but you won't go wrong here. Come in late March or early November 2013 and I'll take you out for a sail!

Room Tip: North Building has perfect view of the entire shoreline. South building is best for families who wil...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank donedoc95
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for seven days as part of our Hilton Grand Vacation Club membership in August 2012. We stayed in a 2nd floor unit in the North Building.

The unit was very clean and the kitchen had been given a relatively recent refurbishment. The furniture was wicker and, while not new, spotlessly clean. The balconies were wonderful and the views hard to beat. Some of the bathroom fixtures were dated, but everything worked well and we had no complaints. We found the bed to be very comfortable.

Another couple joined us for several days and people should be aware that the 2nd bedroom has neither a view nor a single bed (twins in our unit). This would be great for kids. The wireless internet worked quite well when we had occasion to use it.

The weather was unsettled, with Hurricane Isaac beginning to work its way up to the Gulf Coast. Conditions made kayaking uncomfortable, sailing untenable and all beach activities went offline the day before we departed as the resort sensibly prepared for the storm.

Because it was low season, the resort didn't feel crowded at all. I can imagine the pool area might feel somewhat crowded when there were more people around.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: I would think the South (or East) building might have somewhat more obstructed views as it is set ba...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stonerjc
Hudson, FL
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is one of the best exchanges we've made. I couldn't have done better if I had personally chosen the apartment in this two building resort. We have a 2 br, 2 bath unit on the top floor facing the beautiful beach. All amenities and appliances are in good condition. We even have a washer and dryer in the unit. Exchanges through RCI for this resort don't appear often. It's obviously very popular with owners and maybe renters. Beach lounge chairs will be an extra charge daily. If possible, I would suggest bringing your own chairs from home or buying some locally. That would save some money.

We are walking distance (about one block) to several restaurants. Our only real problem here, which is not the fault of the resort, is that September appears to be the real lowest of the low season. Most restaurants I called for reservations are closed until some time in October, which is a bit frustrating because I researched many of them before this trip and didn't learn that fact until I arrived. Also, when I attended the Monday morning orientation meeting, I learned from the presenters who represented fishing charters and various boat tours, that they are not operating until the end of this week. They're closed for maintenance and vacation. Local tourist pamphlets do not generally mention these closures. Always call ahead.

This is also sea turtle nesting season, through October, and a local ordinance requires beach front properties to keep lights out to insure darkness for hatchlings to follow the moonlight into the gulf. I noticed one turtle nest nearby. The "turtle lady", Mary, keeps a watchful eye, I read. The resort enforces this ordinance. If your drapes aren't drawn by 9 p.m. and/or there's a light on the balcony, you will get a call and maybe a visit from the "turtle police".

Room Tip: Try to get a 2 bedroom unit.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Barbara V
South Carolina
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We booked a 3 night stay at the Charter Club the weekend that Hurricane Isaac arrived. Our accomodations were on the 4th floor with a view of the ocean. The rooms below us were being renovated. Our unit had been renovated and the kitchen was really very nice. The 2 bedroom condo was spacious except for the bathrooms. All was clean and nicely decorated. The pool area was definitely showing some age. Staff was helpful and if the weather had been nicer I am sure we would have seen more people. The island was mostly in hurricane prep mode. We will go back in a few months.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank withoutreservation
Bronx, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Had a great stay at the Charter Club. All rooms have terraces with ocean views. While furnishings are not top of the line, I was pleased overall with the room. Staff was quite friendly, pool area was nice, great beach that's excellent for shelling and not crowded, free bike and kayak rentals and location is close tall. My only complaint - there was an outlet and lightbulb out in room. I read other reviews that my walls were really thin but I never heard a thing from other rooms.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank klebbeck236
NJ
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay at the Charter Club. The grounds and pool area are beautiful and exceptionally well maintained. The gulf views from our unit were breathtaking (and I think that is what you get in all the units). The staff was professional and helpful. Frankly, the reviews which complained about a security guard and a no smoking policy baffle me. The guard was unobtrusive and friendly, but it made me feel better knowing there was someone keeping an eye on things at night. As for smoking, I appreciate not having my vacation ruined by cigarette butts and secondhand smoke at the pool, on the beach or in my unit, so that was a big big plus for me.

The units are comfortably furnished and clean. There is free Wifi and flat screen tvs in the lving room and master bedroom. The dining area has a large table for meals should you decide to eat in. The beds provide a comfortable nights sleep, couches are wonderful for gathering with family and the kitchen is well equipped. The master baths are scheduled for major overhauls in September which will be a welcome upgrade. The location on Marco is great, right on the beach and near some excellent dining options you can walk to. Of course, Marco is small so everything is a short drive if you want to venture out. As an HGVC owner, I have stayed at many other timeshares with more lux kitchens and baths, but honestly, I don't need granite and marble countertops to have a relaxing vacation. To me, its all about the comfort, location and attitude. Charter Club has all that. We look forward to returning soon!

(BTW, this resort offers free use of kayaks, paddlebaords and sailboats for HGVC members, something that I consider an exceptional perk at a beachfront resort.)

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family