“A pleasant stay in between storms”

and 1 more site!
The Charter Club of Marco Beach
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Marco Island
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for seven days as part of our Hilton Grand Vacation Club membership in August 2012. We stayed in a 2nd floor unit in the North Building.

The unit was very clean and the kitchen had been given a relatively recent refurbishment. The furniture was wicker and, while not new, spotlessly clean. The balconies were wonderful and the views hard to beat. Some of the bathroom fixtures were dated, but everything worked well and we had no complaints. We found the bed to be very comfortable.

Another couple joined us for several days and people should be aware that the 2nd bedroom has neither a view nor a single bed (twins in our unit). This would be great for kids. The wireless internet worked quite well when we had occasion to use it.

The weather was unsettled, with Hurricane Isaac beginning to work its way up to the Gulf Coast. Conditions made kayaking uncomfortable, sailing untenable and all beach activities went offline the day before we departed as the resort sensibly prepared for the storm.

Because it was low season, the resort didn't feel crowded at all. I can imagine the pool area might feel somewhat crowded when there were more people around.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: I would think the South (or East) building might have somewhat more obstructed views as it is set ba...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stonerjc

Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is one of the best exchanges we've made. I couldn't have done better if I had personally chosen the apartment in this two building resort. We have a 2 br, 2 bath unit on the top floor facing the beautiful beach. All amenities and appliances are in good condition. We even have a washer and dryer in the unit. Exchanges through RCI for this resort don't appear often. It's obviously very popular with owners and maybe renters. Beach lounge chairs will be an extra charge daily. If possible, I would suggest bringing your own chairs from home or buying some locally. That would save some money.

We are walking distance (about one block) to several restaurants. Our only real problem here, which is not the fault of the resort, is that September appears to be the real lowest of the low season. Most restaurants I called for reservations are closed until some time in October, which is a bit frustrating because I researched many of them before this trip and didn't learn that fact until I arrived. Also, when I attended the Monday morning orientation meeting, I learned from the presenters who represented fishing charters and various boat tours, that they are not operating until the end of this week. They're closed for maintenance and vacation. Local tourist pamphlets do not generally mention these closures. Always call ahead.

This is also sea turtle nesting season, through October, and a local ordinance requires beach front properties to keep lights out to insure darkness for hatchlings to follow the moonlight into the gulf. I noticed one turtle nest nearby. The "turtle lady", Mary, keeps a watchful eye, I read. The resort enforces this ordinance. If your drapes aren't drawn by 9 p.m. and/or there's a light on the balcony, you will get a call and maybe a visit from the "turtle police".

Room Tip: Try to get a 2 bedroom unit.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Barbara V
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We booked a 3 night stay at the Charter Club the weekend that Hurricane Isaac arrived. Our accomodations were on the 4th floor with a view of the ocean. The rooms below us were being renovated. Our unit had been renovated and the kitchen was really very nice. The 2 bedroom condo was spacious except for the bathrooms. All was clean and nicely decorated. The pool area was definitely showing some age. Staff was helpful and if the weather had been nicer I am sure we would have seen more people. The island was mostly in hurricane prep mode. We will go back in a few months.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank withoutreservation
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Had a great stay at the Charter Club. All rooms have terraces with ocean views. While furnishings are not top of the line, I was pleased overall with the room. Staff was quite friendly, pool area was nice, great beach that's excellent for shelling and not crowded, free bike and kayak rentals and location is close tall. My only complaint - there was an outlet and lightbulb out in room. I read other reviews that my walls were really thin but I never heard a thing from other rooms.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank klebbeck236
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the Charter Club. The grounds and pool area are beautiful and exceptionally well maintained. The gulf views from our unit were breathtaking (and I think that is what you get in all the units). The staff was professional and helpful. Frankly, the reviews which complained about a security guard and a no smoking policy baffle me. The guard was unobtrusive and friendly, but it made me feel better knowing there was someone keeping an eye on things at night. As for smoking, I appreciate not having my vacation ruined by cigarette butts and secondhand smoke at the pool, on the beach or in my unit, so that was a big big plus for me.

The units are comfortably furnished and clean. There is free Wifi and flat screen tvs in the lving room and master bedroom. The dining area has a large table for meals should you decide to eat in. The beds provide a comfortable nights sleep, couches are wonderful for gathering with family and the kitchen is well equipped. The master baths are scheduled for major overhauls in September which will be a welcome upgrade. The location on Marco is great, right on the beach and near some excellent dining options you can walk to. Of course, Marco is small so everything is a short drive if you want to venture out. As an HGVC owner, I have stayed at many other timeshares with more lux kitchens and baths, but honestly, I don't need granite and marble countertops to have a relaxing vacation. To me, its all about the comfort, location and attitude. Charter Club has all that. We look forward to returning soon!

(BTW, this resort offers free use of kayaks, paddlebaords and sailboats for HGVC members, something that I consider an exceptional perk at a beachfront resort.)

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MLENJ
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Read all the reviews and then decide. Keep in mind there are primadonnas who expect to be totally pampered and then there are realistic people. We are HGVC members who have stayed here before and, because we like it, have returned. This is not a new resort, and there are certain things that could be better. But as I write this, am sitting listening to the surf on the balcony overlooking the most tranquil view imaginable. This is a timeshare setting, not a hotel. No maid service daily and you wash your own towels if you don't do the exchange twice a week. A family can get everything they need at the Winn Dixie down the street and not pay a fortune eating out every day. If you want five star, go elsewhere. If you want good value, this is it. Best on Marco Island.

• Stayed: August 2012
6  Thank docJohnSanAntone
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Our room was in the north tower on the ninth floor. It had two bedrooms; a "master" king sized bedroom with one bed and private bath and access to the balcony and a flat-screen TV along with a double twin bedroom with a closet and a outdated TV. The drapes and bedsets are clean but outdated along with the carpet and wallpaper. The bathtub is plastic with fake marble walls. There is a nice washer/dryer unit in the room. The view from the balcony is spectacular even from inside. Lighting and ceiling fans are great. Kitchen is fully stocked and is updated and very clean. The living room has a fold out couch and love seat made from wicker with an obnoxious Hawaiian floral pattern and uncomfortable cushions. The bar has fallen from the 80's but things seem to be getting slowly updated.

Pros:
-clean
-fully stocked kitchen recently updated
-washer/dryer unit in room
-TV's in every room
- hot water long that lasts forever
-dishwasher
-pool
-BBQ grill area provided
-as a guest you have free access to sail boats, boogey boards, kayaks and beach chairs and bicycles to take anywhere.

Cons:
-needs updating
-horrible elevators
-scary parking lot
-constant workers trying to fix things.
-ugly wallpaper, bed sets, drapes, couches ect.

Overall I would find somewhere else to stay on Marco to get my moneys worth.

• Stayed: July 2012
Bellasera Resort
#4 of 59 in Naples
Naples Bay Resort
#6 of 59 in Naples

Been to The Charter Club of Marco Beach? Share your experiences!