“Perfectly fine hotel”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Marco Island
Bronx, New York
“Perfectly fine hotel”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Had a great stay at the Charter Club. All rooms have terraces with ocean views. While furnishings are not top of the line, I was pleased overall with the room. Staff was quite friendly, pool area was nice, great beach that's excellent for shelling and not crowded, free bike and kayak rentals and location is close tall. My only complaint - there was an outlet and lightbulb out in room. I read other reviews that my walls were really thin but I never heard a thing from other rooms.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank klebbeck236

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
NJ
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay at the Charter Club. The grounds and pool area are beautiful and exceptionally well maintained. The gulf views from our unit were breathtaking (and I think that is what you get in all the units). The staff was professional and helpful. Frankly, the reviews which complained about a security guard and a no smoking policy baffle me. The guard was unobtrusive and friendly, but it made me feel better knowing there was someone keeping an eye on things at night. As for smoking, I appreciate not having my vacation ruined by cigarette butts and secondhand smoke at the pool, on the beach or in my unit, so that was a big big plus for me.

The units are comfortably furnished and clean. There is free Wifi and flat screen tvs in the lving room and master bedroom. The dining area has a large table for meals should you decide to eat in. The beds provide a comfortable nights sleep, couches are wonderful for gathering with family and the kitchen is well equipped. The master baths are scheduled for major overhauls in September which will be a welcome upgrade. The location on Marco is great, right on the beach and near some excellent dining options you can walk to. Of course, Marco is small so everything is a short drive if you want to venture out. As an HGVC owner, I have stayed at many other timeshares with more lux kitchens and baths, but honestly, I don't need granite and marble countertops to have a relaxing vacation. To me, its all about the comfort, location and attitude. Charter Club has all that. We look forward to returning soon!

(BTW, this resort offers free use of kayaks, paddlebaords and sailboats for HGVC members, something that I consider an exceptional perk at a beachfront resort.)

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank MLENJ
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Read all the reviews and then decide. Keep in mind there are primadonnas who expect to be totally pampered and then there are realistic people. We are HGVC members who have stayed here before and, because we like it, have returned. This is not a new resort, and there are certain things that could be better. But as I write this, am sitting listening to the surf on the balcony overlooking the most tranquil view imaginable. This is a timeshare setting, not a hotel. No maid service daily and you wash your own towels if you don't do the exchange twice a week. A family can get everything they need at the Winn Dixie down the street and not pay a fortune eating out every day. If you want five star, go elsewhere. If you want good value, this is it. Best on Marco Island.

• Stayed August 2012
6 Thank docJohnSanAntone
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Our room was in the north tower on the ninth floor. It had two bedrooms; a "master" king sized bedroom with one bed and private bath and access to the balcony and a flat-screen TV along with a double twin bedroom with a closet and a outdated TV. The drapes and bedsets are clean but outdated along with the carpet and wallpaper. The bathtub is plastic with fake marble walls. There is a nice washer/dryer unit in the room. The view from the balcony is spectacular even from inside. Lighting and ceiling fans are great. Kitchen is fully stocked and is updated and very clean. The living room has a fold out couch and love seat made from wicker with an obnoxious Hawaiian floral pattern and uncomfortable cushions. The bar has fallen from the 80's but things seem to be getting slowly updated.

Pros:
-clean
-fully stocked kitchen recently updated
-washer/dryer unit in room
-TV's in every room
- hot water long that lasts forever
-dishwasher
-pool
-BBQ grill area provided
-as a guest you have free access to sail boats, boogey boards, kayaks and beach chairs and bicycles to take anywhere.

Cons:
-needs updating
-horrible elevators
-scary parking lot
-constant workers trying to fix things.
-ugly wallpaper, bed sets, drapes, couches ect.

Overall I would find somewhere else to stay on Marco to get my moneys worth.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank ToBeHones
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The hotel has a great room and great service. We have an amazing view and there are activities by the pool almost everyday. There are sailboats, paddle boards, and kayaks included when you stay. We have a really good time every year.

1 Thank monterostree
Dallas
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I'm going to preface this review by saying:1) I'm not that picky and have never ranked any place I've stayed below average; 2) that I didn't have any expectations for the Charter Club other than that it was in the Hilton Grand Vacations Club collection of exchange resorts, and this usually means these properties adhere to a certain standard of quality and 3) I have to admit that just prior to arriving at the Charter Club I had stayed at the Palm Beach Four Seasons so perhaps this jaded my experience a tiny bit. Anyway, obviously the Charter Club isn't the Four Seasons, but, of course, it isn't expected to be and for a beach stay these accomodations are definitely nicer than some I've stayed at.

Pros -

Our unit, 303, was clean (except for a bit of mold in the bathroom shower, but this is humid Florida) and it appeared everything was sanitary because it at least smelled clean. Having said that, beware if you have a chemical sensitivity because the smell didn't dissipate until about mid-week.

I was told the kitchens have been "recently" updated. The appliances are newer"ish" and all were in functioning order in our unit. The kitchen is stocked with everything you need to cook a meal. This is great if you're looking to save a little money and skip dining out every night. A side note: I found the restaurants we visited on the Island served expensive, mediocre and uninspired food. An example was a $30 plate of pan seared, overly salted grouper served with an afterthought of "saffron" rice and overcooked, steam table style vegetables. So, I cooked a few meals and since we had a car we drove to Naples to eat out. Much better food there.

The air conditioning worked well.

The unit had a bar with a blender and this allowed us to make some great cocktails with the local citrus and tropical fruits.

Free use of bicycles, sea kayaks and other activities (one day they had a happy hour and served free margaritas, another day they served free continental breakfast of donuts, pastries and OJ).

Nice beach.

Cons -

My biggest complaint would have to be the paper thin walls. I slept in the Master bedroom and I was kept awake, or awakened by the people staying in the unit next door every night. The configuration of the units is such that the Master bedrooms must share a wall and the flat screen TV of the next door unit is located on this wall. Therefore if your neighbor likes to watch TV into the wee hours of the night, or leaves the TV on all night, you can hear it as clearly as if you were watching it in your own room. Even with Bose ear buds jammed into my ears it was still noisy. I'll leave it to your imagination, but the TV isn't the only sound you can hear from the next door unit either. On the day that I finally determined who my next door neighbors were and asked them politely to turn the volume down on their TV, they said they were leaving that day. The situation didn't improve much with the next set of neighbors. Suffice to say, I didn't sleep much except on the beach.

$100/ week to rent 2 beach chairs and an umbrella. It was the rainy season when we visited so the value for this "luxury" is greatly diminished when you can't use them daily.

Landscape maintenance - First, let me say that the grounds are nicely maintained. Obviously this has to be accomplished with the use of lawn equipment. However, this began Saturday morning and continued throughout the week every day at around 8 am, so forget about sleeping in. They use a leave blower to blow stuff off the pool chairs and the pool deck which took about an hour. Not only is this noisy but the fumes from these environmentally unfriendly tools wafted up to our balcony and chased us inside. So much for a nice, relaxing start to the day with a cup of morning coffee on the balcony.

The bathrooms are ancient and in serious need of updating. The toilet in the Master Bath never did work. I plunged it from the first moment I arrived. I called maintenance. He plunged it, flushed it and pronounced it working. It was not. Sure a toilet will appear to flush when there isn't anything IN IT!! To add insult to injury, the maintenance worker's attitude was also not very customer friendly, but I let that go because as far as he was concerned the toilet worked and I was just another high maintenance guest. Fortunately for us, the unit had another bathroom with a functioning toilet.

Bottom line - I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a unit in the front building. The unit we stayed in was in the back building which overlook...
1 Thank amortrvl
Naples, Florida
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We have been visiting the Charter Club for over 15 years and now the beach is the only carefree happy place at the Charter Club. Everything else about the atmosphere of this place has become UPTIGHT. I actually feel bad for the wonderful employees.
There is a Security guard posted at the pool. NOT A LIFE GUARD, a Security guard! It is so obvious, the property is not big. I don't know why pool security is needed in addition to the security at the entrance gate. You start thinking that security is there to watch the guests. And it turns out, they are!
EVEN WHEN YOUR TEENS ARE BEING QUIET and NO COMPLAINTS were made, your teens will be told that they're not allowed to sit at the pool deck after 10pm. (I thought it was just no swimming after 10pm) and your teens will be fore-warned that they're not allowed under the South building at the recreation area (pool table, ping-pong, shuffle board) at night, but they could stay as long as Security doesn't hear them AT ALL. What are these kids supposed to do? They're too young to go out by themselves and they live their lives to socialize with their peers and new friends.
But if someone above you decides to vacuum at 9AM, well, grin and bear it because apparently, that is deemed acceptable behavior. Think of it as your wake up call.
IF YOU SMOKE, THEN STAY AWAY!! YOU WILL NOT RELAX with that drink on the balcony at sunset. You are not allowed to smoke on the outside, open balcony of your unit. You have to leave your unit and go down to a desiginated smoking area out by a Gazebo toward the front of the property near the tennis courts (of all places!) or you have to go down to the area BEHIND the grill building on the pool deck. (maybe security is needed to keep you safe at night when you have to leave the unit to smoke?) If you're at the pool you have to get up and go behind the grill building and your view is of the bathrooms and you will be swatting tons of disgusting flys off of you. You will not set up here for the day. The pool area is not divided into smoking and non-smoking.
THE BEACH IS YOUR ONLY COMFORT! You can rent chairs and umbrella for the week or by the day from 9am to 5pm (see Paul, a really nice guy!) Or you can bring your own chairs and umbrella or sun tent. Your kids can play and be silly, even laugh out loud. There is a volley ball court for your use. You can smoke on the beach if you choose. You can pack your food and drinks and enjoy the day. Do nothing or play beach games, jump around in the beautiful Gulf water and make some joyful noise. You can fish from the shore and you might even get to see some dolphins having fun in the water!

Room Tip: The entire North Building has a view of the Gulf and beach. The South Building overlooks the pool w...
1 Thank StraightTalk_12
JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort
Marco Beach Ocean Resort
Marco Beach Ocean Resort
#2 of 12 in Marco Island

Been to The Charter Club of Marco Beach? Share your experiences!